Max

Default Robin Hartl - the real story about leaving Hometime

I have a friend who knows Robin. Here's the real scoop.

Hometime offered to renew her contract for the 13th season last
August-04. Throughout 2004, Dean and Robin participated as
spokespersons for Little Giant Ladder and shot an infomercial
demonstrating the product. Within months, the infomercial was ranked
among the top 10 in the country.

Little Giant Ladder replaced Dean with Richard Karn (Al from the sitcom
Home Improvement) and asked Robin to continue as a spokesperson and
shoot a new infomercial with Richard. As I understand it, because of
her contract with Hometime, she had to leave the show in order to take
the deal with Little Giant.

Apparently the deal was too good to pass up. So she declined the offer
to renew with Hometime for a 13th season.

Max wrote:
I have a friend who knows Robin. Here's the real scoop.

Hometime offered to renew her contract for the 13th season last
August-04. Throughout 2004, Dean and Robin participated as
spokespersons for Little Giant Ladder and shot an infomercial
demonstrating the product. Within months, the infomercial was ranked
among the top 10 in the country.

Little Giant Ladder replaced Dean with Richard Karn (Al from the

sitcom
Home Improvement) and asked Robin to continue as a spokesperson and
shoot a new infomercial with Richard. As I understand it, because of
her contract with Hometime, she had to leave the show in order to

take
the deal with Little Giant.

Apparently the deal was too good to pass up. So she declined the

offer
to renew with Hometime for a 13th season.

Side note about Little Giant Ladders. Nice ladder but way overpriced
and long, long wait, from Wing the manufacturer of the Little Giant
Ladder. Ordered my ladder Dec. 5 2004, expecting to receive by xmas.
All I received was a coupon and apologies the week before xmas that my
ladder
wil be shippped early January of 05. With the letter they said they are
adding more shifts to get orders out. second week of January I called
Wing for update on order and after the obligatory 45 min wait "for next
available person" they said they did not have record of my order. Well
emailed person made my purchase from asking what is problem and for a
shipper track number when they ship. I received the ladder last week
Jan 27, 2005. Two days later they emailed me the shipper number. That's
my story nice ladder but overpriced and not worth the wait. There are a
lot of similar knockoffs just as good, I have one from costco smale but
as good less than half the price. Robin made a big mistake in my
opinion leaving Hometime for Little Giant ladder infomercial, guess she
went for Money and more exposure.

ROBMURR

I ordered my LG at a woodworking show
about 8+ years ago and it sure gets
borrowed a lot. I had it out when my
Gutter man was out to replace a gutter
and let him use it..He uses ladders everyday for 15years but not LG, Commented
that he really liked it.
He liked it even more when both he and I got on it to check something.
There are cheaper knock offs I am sure out there. Last time I priced an
emergency room visit it was a lot more than my LG ladder.
I guess they have been swamped by people buying their ladder and why you had
such a problem getting thru. My local
hardware store is a dealer in them now
too. Carrying even the biggest ones they
make.
patrick conroy

"B a r r y" wrote in message
om...

Look what's typically sold via infomercial:
Exercise equipment
Diet plans and pills
Get rich schemes
Tools and appliances that solve problems that are either nonexistent, or
easily solved with something you already own.

C'mon - I think that lil' soldering iron that goes cold immediately is
pretty neat!

Dave Hall

ROBMURR wrote:
I ordered my LG at a woodworking show
about 8+ years ago and it sure gets
borrowed a lot. I had it out when my
Gutter man was out to replace a gutter
and let him use it..He uses ladders everyday for 15years but not LG,

Commented
that he really liked it.
He liked it even more when both he and I got on it to check

something.
There are cheaper knock offs I am sure out there. Last time I priced

an
emergency room visit it was a lot more than my LG ladder.
I guess they have been swamped by people buying their ladder and why

you had
such a problem getting thru. My local
hardware store is a dealer in them now
too. Carrying even the biggest ones they
make.

Well, if we are going to talk about the LG ladder I would appreciate
any comments from LG ladder owners who have had the opportunity (and
taken the time) to look at the Gorilla ladder sold by Home Depot. It
seems quite good and is much less expensive, but if the LG is a lot
better then I will have to think twice about purchasing a Gorilla
ladder.

Thanks...and yeah, I have seen a few comments on a Google search but I
haven't seen a serious comparison made by a LG ladder owner.

Dave Hall

LRod

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in message
. com...

Look what's typically sold via infomercial:
Exercise equipment
Diet plans and pills
Get rich schemes
Tools and appliances that solve problems that are either nonexistent, or
easily solved with something you already own.

C'mon - I think that lil' soldering iron that goes cold immediately is
pretty neat!

Look it up on the web, though. I think Amazon carries it, well, some
site that has feedback. The feedback was horrible. And not just one or
two.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Chuck Hoffman

I've never seen one...never used one...but I can guaran-damn-tee that the
thing melts the solder only and doesn't heat the joint up enough to "tin"
it. This results in a "cold solder joint" and in a few weeks it will be
corroded and lose electrical contact. Don't waste your money.

"LRod" wrote in message
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in

message
. com...

Look what's typically sold via infomercial:
Exercise equipment
Diet plans and pills
Get rich schemes
Tools and appliances that solve problems that are either nonexistent,

or
easily solved with something you already own.

C'mon - I think that lil' soldering iron that goes cold immediately is
pretty neat!

Look it up on the web, though. I think Amazon carries it, well, some
site that has feedback. The feedback was horrible. And not just one or
two.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Lee Gordon

Look what's typically sold via infomercial:
Exercise equipment
Diet plans and pills
Get rich schemes
Tools and appliances that solve problems that are either nonexistent, or
easily solved with something you already own.""

Typical line: "It replaces hundreds of dollars worth of ________." [Fill
in the blank -- cleaning products, kitchen appliances, power tools]

Even if it were true, I have already spent those hundreds of dollars and own
all that stuff. I might as well use it. Why should I spend more and add to
the collection?

So much of that infomercial stuff is total crap, but not necessarily all of
it. Years ago I bought a Foodsaver vacuum sealing machine and I would not
hesitate to do it again. (I've never tried using it as a vacuum press for
veneer but one of these days I may conduct an experiment.)
There's a guy who writes a column in the Courant called "As Seen on TV" and
he reviews infomercial stuff. He says that little cold heat soldering iron
is not so great for electronics but is probably useful for jewelry repair.
He also thinks that broom with the little rubber bristles is as good as
advertised and especially useful for clearing snow off a car.

Lee

ROBMURR

Well, if we are going to talk about the LG ladder I would appreciate
any comments from LG ladder owners who have had the opportunity (and
taken the time) to look at the Gorilla ladder sold by Home Depot. It
seems quite good and is much less expensive, but if the LG is a lot
better then I will have to think twice about purchasing a Gorilla
ladder.

Thanks...and yeah, I have seen a few comments on a Google search but I
haven't seen a serious comparison made by a LG ladder owner.

Dave Hall

I have looked at them and they are made
in a similar way but the HD model is not
as heavy duty as the LG. Also they make
2 sizes 13ft and 21ft? I think..Not sure
exactly how high they become as stepladders, never seen one opened at
HD. The LG model they show is 7ft as
a stepladder and 17 ft as an extension ladder. I have no problem standing with
my feet across the 2 top rungs 7ft off the ground if need be. The HD also dont
come with the platform
to stand on or to put stuff on or that acts
as a brace when in scaffold mode..
the 13 cost $99 the 21 cost $198? or so.
If the shorter ladder works for you and
you cant spring for the LG get the HD
model. LG also makes a version that
looks more like the lighter duty HD model
for less than the infomercial priced one.

Brent Beal

wrote in message
ups.com...

Max wrote:
I have a friend who knows Robin. Here's the real scoop.

Hometime offered to renew her contract for the 13th season last

guess she
went for Money and more exposure.

Naturally, more money. But I would prefer the more exposure part better.
Speaking of more, anyone seen the new commercial with JoAnne in it. Guess
her metabolism slowed some huh!

B a r r y

Lee Gordon wrote:

There's a guy who writes a column in the Courant called "As Seen on TV" and
he reviews infomercial stuff.

Don't forget, the original infomercial guy, Ron Popeil, is from the
Hartford area!

Barry
Joe Gorman

"LRod" wrote in message

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in

message

y.com...

Look what's typically sold via infomercial:
Exercise equipment
Diet plans and pills
Get rich schemes
Tools and appliances that solve problems that are either nonexistent,

or

easily solved with something you already own.

C'mon - I think that lil' soldering iron that goes cold immediately is
pretty neat!

Look it up on the web, though. I think Amazon carries it, well, some
site that has feedback. The feedback was horrible. And not just one or
two.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

check the archives of rec.crafts.metalworking. There was a thread
on this in the last few months.
Joe
Dave Hall

ROBMURR wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply. I was kind of interested in the 21 ft. gorilla
ladder (18' 11" useable length - the 21' is the total combined length
of the 4 sections) as it makes a little better than a 9' step ladder
while the 17' LG only makes a 7' step. Of course I could go with a
bigger LG to get a bigger step. I did set the Gorilla up as a step
ladder and climb to the top and it was solid. However, if the LG is
significantly more heavy duty I may have to consider it. Any idea id
the LG platforms would fit on the Gorilla ladder?

Dave Hall

Cothian

Joe Gorman wrote in
:

"LRod" wrote in message

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 21:46:08 GMT, "patrick conroy"
wrote:

"B a r r y" wrote in

message

gy.com...

[...]

Got one for X-mas. Tried using it once, ended up getting out the soldering
iron and promptly gave it to someone I didn't like very much.

Coth

Lee Gordon

Don't forget, the original infomercial guy, Ron Popeil, is from the
Hartford area!

I did not know that. I can't understand how the local boosters can
publicize that people such as Katherine Hepburn, Charles Nelson Reilly,
Dominick Dunne and Amy Brenneman are from Hartford and then omit one of the
greatest of them all, Ron Popeil. It is shameful. ;-)

Lee

B a r r y

Lee Gordon wrote:
Don't forget, the original infomercial guy, Ron Popeil, is from the
Hartford area!

I did not know that. I can't understand how the local boosters can
publicize that people such as Katherine Hepburn, Charles Nelson Reilly,
Dominick Dunne and Amy Brenneman are from Hartford and then omit one of the
greatest of them all, Ron Popeil. It is shameful. ;-)

Lee

Ron gets mentioned on a regular basis by Colin McEnroe on WTIC.

Barry