Don D.

Default veneer plywood help

I am having a brain fart on a joint to use on a book case that is only 36"
high. I do not want to show the ply's on the veneer from the top or side
view.
I use to work for a veneer plywood manufacture about 15 years ago on the
custom crew but I forgot what we did for the joint to hide the ply's when
doing desks and short book cases . I think we did a 3/8" spine of solid oak
on the corner with two rabbits to hold the top to the side then round over
with round over then of coarse 1 1/2" oak facing. I hope you know what I
mean.
Does that sound right? or would any of you have another good idea.

This book case (2 or 3 shelf) is going to be for my wife for all her horse
books to show her I can and did do this in a past life before her. Then I
may be able to buy more tools (toys) again. The next will be an
entertainment center. I do like working with veneer ply as to solid stock.
reason for I do not have a planer or a jointer and no room.

TIA
Don D.

TeamCasa

There are many methods for covering the end of plywood. Heat tape veneer,
rabbit one edge and apply solid wood, tongue and groove or as you described
below. The real question is which do you want to do based on the
application and strength requirements of the piece.

Dave

"Don D." wrote in message
[...]

http://www.usenet.com
bf

Sounds like a good idea.. you had.

Another suggestion would be to make a plywood top edged with solid oak
and attach that to the top of the bookcase. You could route a
decorative edge on the top.. IMO, it would look better than just a
plywood box, and would cover the edge grain of the sides.