TBone

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
Pounds on Wood wrote:
I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just

cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner for

many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather than

the
rule.

Do you really think so? I find that RR sucks. When I lived in NJ, I was
with Comcast and they used Giga-News and even though I had a 1 gig download
limit (unless I paid extra), the news servers held the posts for many days
and even weeks. Here with RR, even the text groups lose posts after only a
day or two and forget about the binaries.

foggytown

Actually I've been quite happy with Google Groups. Especially since
posts are now almost instantaneous.

FoggyTown

Jeff P.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's almost impossible to complete multi-part
binary files on RR.

--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
crew are believed to be marooned."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

. com...

Pounds on Wood wrote:
I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just

cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner

for
many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather

than
the
rule.

Do you really think so? I find that RR sucks. When I lived in NJ, I was
with Comcast and they used Giga-News and even though I had a 1 gig

download
limit (unless I paid extra), the news servers held the posts for many days
and even weeks. Here with RR, even the text groups lose posts after only

day or two and forget about the binaries.

Pounds on Wood

"TWS" wrote in message
d I checked the Supernews site and they claim to do a great job removing
spam. Do you think this is the case?

My own ISP does nothing that I can tell and I can't access newsgroups
while I'm traveling. It seems something like Supernews might be a
good solution.

TWS

I see very little offensive stuff with Supernews. If they could just filter
the trolls ...

--
********
Bill Pounds

TWS

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:18:17 -0800, "Pounds on Wood"
wrote:

I see very little offensive stuff with Supernews. If they could just filter
the trolls ...

I prefer they castrate them rather than filtration. Thx for the info.
TWS
John McCoy

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in
:

I see very little offensive stuff with Supernews. If they could just
filter the trolls ...

Supernews does filter the worst of the trolls. The serious trolls,
the ones who's purpose is to disrupt the group, almost invariably
crosspost to AUK, the nose, the flonk, etc. Supernews does not allow
crossposts to those groups, which has the effect of blocking the
trolls.

The lesser trolls, who are fixated on a particular subject or
poster and stick with one group, aren't as easy to filter.

John
J. Clarke

Old Nick wrote:

On 24 Jan 2005 20:32:38 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I agree it's sad, and seems silly. But....

I just changed ISPs because the old one's ngs were moribund. They said
they were not fixing them. Nobody used them. I said "Well you weren't
right, but you may be from here on!" and left.

The newsgroups are the same for everybody. What's different is how long
their particular server holds messages and the quality of the feed they get
from their upstream provider.

There isn't anything to "fix".

But my point is that the ngs seems to be a very little-used resource
on the Web. My old ISP has ten of thousands of customers, and they
said they had maybe 50 people using the groups on any sort of regular
basis.

Dunno about that--right now I'm showing 8000 posts on the wreck alone and I
only hold posts on my workstation for a week.

Just got an AOL pop-up message: they're dumping Newsgroups in "early
2005".

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little
more rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I
have other chores.

Bless 'em all. And then they wonder why they lose customers.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's
some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri,
November 2, 2000

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

B a r r y wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Pounds on Wood wrote:

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just
cannot get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner
for many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather than
the rule.

Same with SBC, here in CT. Other parts of the country may vary.

I went from IBM (yeah, Big Blue IBM) to SBC in order to get DSL and found
that the number of groups carried and the scroll rate were much inferior
with SBC. That's when I started using Newsguy.

Barry

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Dave Balderstone

In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

Dunno about that--right now I'm showing 8000 posts on the wreck alone and I
only hold posts on my workstation for a week.

300 - 400 posts per day is not unusual here, in my experience.

djb

Lee Michaels

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
tone.ca...
In article , J. Clarke
wrote:

Dunno about that--right now I'm showing 8000 posts on the wreck alone and
only hold posts on my workstation for a week.

300 - 400 posts per day is not unusual here, in my experience.

I signed up recently with giganews (from comcast) and this newsgroup had
250,000 posts to it.

And since MS IE can only load a thousand at a time, I needed to download
these posts 250 times to clear out the back posts.

Anybody know of a quicker way to do this? I am stuck with windoze products
(work computer and all).

Mike Marlow

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I signed up recently with giganews (from comcast) and this newsgroup had
250,000 posts to it.

And since MS IE can only load a thousand at a time, I needed to download
these posts 250 times to clear out the back posts.

Anybody know of a quicker way to do this? I am stuck with windoze

products
(work computer and all).

Use the "catch up" feature. It's in the Edit menu.

--

-Mike-

Mike Marlow

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

I went from IBM (yeah, Big Blue IBM) to SBC in order to get DSL and found
that the number of groups carried and the scroll rate were much inferior
with SBC. That's when I started using Newsguy.

Just migrated from earthlink to alltel myself, in order to get DSL, and
found that alltel carries a lot more groups than earthlink did. It's too
soon for me to know about retention rates but then again for archived stuff
I find myself a google anyway, so retention beyond a few days doesn't really
matter to me.
--

-Mike-

Nova

wrote:

Dunno about that--right now I'm showing 8000 posts on the wreck alone and
only hold posts on my workstation for a week.

300 - 400 posts per day is not unusual here, in my experience.

I signed up recently with giganews (from comcast) and this newsgroup had
250,000 posts to it.

And since MS IE can only load a thousand at a time, I needed to download
these posts 250 times to clear out the back posts.

Anybody know of a quicker way to do this? I am stuck with windoze products
(work computer and all).

Microsoft IE actually calls on Outlook Express for newsgroup access. To change
the default number of headers downloaded at a time click on "Tools" then
"Options". Then click on the "Read" tab. In the "News" section of the menu is
the number of headers to download at a time.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Lee Michaels

wrote:

[...]

I know that.

But it maxes out at a thousand.

I will go with the catch up command.

Lee Michaels

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

I signed up recently with giganews (from comcast) and this newsgroup had
250,000 posts to it.

And since MS IE can only load a thousand at a time, I needed to download
these posts 250 times to clear out the back posts.

Anybody know of a quicker way to do this? I am stuck with windoze

products
(work computer and all).

Use the "catch up" feature. It's in the Edit menu.

Thank you sir!!

I always wondered what that command was.

I am installing newsgroups on several computers in the next week or so. You
have just help me prevent a case of carpal tunnel syndrome.

Lee

Tim Douglass

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 05:18:11 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

I signed up recently with giganews (from comcast) and this newsgroup had
250,000 posts to it.

And since MS IE can only load a thousand at a time, I needed to download
these posts 250 times to clear out the back posts.

Anybody know of a quicker way to do this? I am stuck with windoze products
(work computer and all).

Agent and Free Agent will download them all, but the catch-up command
is the way to go in either case, you really don't need to download all
the old headers - and certainly not all the old articles, which I
think is what MS wants to do. One benefit to Agent is that all you
download is the headers, then you select which articles to retrieve.
By the time my filters are done I only have to see about 2/3 of the
headers in the group. Another 10% or so get hit with ignores and
disappear forever from my sight. Of the rest some are being watched,
so I have set it to retrieve those articles automatically, others I
just skim down the list and see if there is anything I want to read.
If so a quick double click gets the article - if it is an interesting
thread I mark it for watching and download the rest of the current
posts in that thread. If not, I just leave it alone and when I hit the
end of the group I mark all messages read. Next time I do the same. It
is amazing to see how quickly you can trim 300+ new messages down to
the 30 or so you want to read.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Mike Marlow

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message

Agent and Free Agent will download them all, but the catch-up command
is the way to go in either case, you really don't need to download all
the old headers - and certainly not all the old articles, which I
think is what MS wants to do.

To the contrary Tim. Outlook operates just like Agent does in that you can
download only header, select the article(s) and then view them on-line or
download them for later viewing.

One benefit to Agent is that all you
download is the headers, then you select which articles to retrieve.
By the time my filters are done I only have to see about 2/3 of the
headers in the group. Another 10% or so get hit with ignores and
disappear forever from my sight. Of the rest some are being watched,
so I have set it to retrieve those articles automatically, others I
just skim down the list and see if there is anything I want to read.
If so a quick double click gets the article - if it is an interesting
thread I mark it for watching and download the rest of the current
posts in that thread. If not, I just leave it alone and when I hit the
end of the group I mark all messages read. Next time I do the same. It
is amazing to see how quickly you can trim 300+ new messages down to
the 30 or so you want to read.

For the most part - very similar to the way Outlook Express works.

--

-Mike-

WD

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 11:19:02 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

After you learn how to use Forte Agent or Free Agent, it's so simple. You can
reconfigures it to your liking. I have since upgrade to Version2. I believe
Forte Agent are Beta testing an upgrade to multi servers capability.

My initial $29 investment and another $15 late last year have gave me so much
pleasure in many ngs. Never regret it.

[...]

Mike Marlow

"Tim Douglass" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 15:09:16 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

For the most part - very similar to the way Outlook Express works.

It's obviously improved a lot over the last couple of versions. I
won't use it for anything because it is incredibly difficult to
configure or adjust. It seems like every time a friend of mine has
e-mail trouble with it the only solution (suggested by MS, no less) is
it un-install and re-install - no, not OE, Windows XP entirely! There
is no way to do an un-install on *just* OE! It always leaves too many
droppings behind to get a clean re-install. My solution is to just
junk it as best I can and install Eudora. The free version of Eudora
works as well as OE and the sponsored version is significantly better
- and they can both be tweaked and fixed if needed.

Indeed - Microsoft's standard reply of uninstall and reinstall is very
frustrating. Even more so when most of the time that is not even necessary.
It gives their software a bigger blackeye image that it rightfully deserves,
and it rightfully deserves quite a bad rap in some respects.

Ah hell - I'm getting carried away, aren't I?

S'what? Everyone's entitled to get a little carried away once in a while.
--

-Mike-

Old Nick

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 00:04:15 -0500, "J. Clarke"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Old Nick wrote:

On 24 Jan 2005 20:32:38 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I agree it's sad, and seems silly. But....

I just changed ISPs because the old one's ngs were moribund. They said
they were not fixing them. Nobody used them. I said "Well you weren't
right, but you may be from here on!" and left.

The newsgroups are the same for everybody. What's different is how long
their particular server holds messages and the quality of the feed they get
from their upstream provider.

What's also different is if their server allows me to pick up news
messages. If it was amatter of tyhow lomg it held messages, then the
answer is "not at all".

There isn't anything to "fix".

Yes there is. I could not get news messages from one ISP's server.
Their database of news was munged. They were not going to fix it.

But my point is that the ngs seems to be a very little-used resource
on the Web. My old ISP has ten of thousands of customers, and they
said they had maybe 50 people using the groups on any sort of regular
basis.

Dunno about that--right now I'm showing 8000 posts on the wreck alone and I
only hold posts on my workstation for a week.

Yep. Sure. I see about 100+ entries every day. But that's from the
whole world's use of that NG, and IME this is a pretty active ng. In
the context of the total trafic through my ISP it is peanuts.

_They_ said that they had less than 50 users. They have 10,000
customers. Not my words.

J. Clarke

Old Nick wrote:

On 24 Jan 2005 20:32:38 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

I agree it's sad, and seems silly. But....

I just changed ISPs because the old one's ngs were moribund. They said
they were not fixing them. Nobody used them. I said "Well you weren't
right, but you may be from here on!" and left.

The newsgroups are the same for everybody. What's different is how long
their particular server holds messages and the quality of the feed they
get from their upstream provider.

What's also different is if their server allows me to pick up news
messages. If it was amatter of tyhow lomg it held messages, then the
answer is "not at all".

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

There isn't anything to "fix".

Yes there is. I could not get news messages from one ISP's server.
Their database of news was munged. They were not going to fix it.

That seems odd.

But my point is that the ngs seems to be a very little-used resource
on the Web. My old ISP has ten of thousands of customers, and they
said they had maybe 50 people using the groups on any sort of regular
basis.

Dunno about that--right now I'm showing 8000 posts on the wreck alone and
I only hold posts on my workstation for a week.

Yep. Sure. I see about 100+ entries every day. But that's from the
whole world's use of that NG, and IME this is a pretty active ng. In
the context of the total trafic through my ISP it is peanuts.

However "total traffic" is a meaningless measure. One big graphic generates
more traffic than a thousand USENET posts.

_They_ said that they had less than 50 users. They have 10,000
customers. Not my words.

Which may mean that USENET is unpopular or may mean that 9951 of those
10,000 got disgusted with them and went to Newsguy or one of the other
dedicated USENET hosts, of which there are many.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Tim Douglass

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:24:15 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

No provider carries every group and no group is carried by every provider.
However the content of a given group is, aside from local filtration and
vagaries of propagation, the same for all.

Actually there probably are several thousand of the core groups that
are carried on every (or close enough) news provider. You will only
see the groups your provider carries. You will also possibly not see
articles from some servers because of the way server peering works.
Most major servers are pretty well linked, but some of the little ones
don't get nearly as good a coverage.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
J. Clarke

wrote:

No provider carries every group and no group is carried by every provider.
However the content of a given group is, aside from local filtration and
vagaries of propagation, the same for all.

Actually there probably are several thousand of the core groups that
are carried on every (or close enough) news provider.

Nope. There are many specialized providers out there. Microsoft for
example has their own servers for their support groups that carry _only_
those groups and those groups are not generally available elsewhere. The
same for Novell and a number of other larger software and hardware vendors.

If you're talking about the independent providers and the ISPs then yes,
there's large overlap.

You will only
see the groups your provider carries.

Which is one reason to use multiple providers.

You will also possibly not see
articles from some servers because of the way server peering works.

Which comes under the heading of "vagaries of propagation".

Most major servers are pretty well linked, but some of the little ones
don't get nearly as good a coverage.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Luigi Zanasi

On Monday 31 Jan 2005 3:37 am, Mark & Juanita scribbled:

Quicken 2002, eh? If you love Tim's problem, you are gonna love the
fact
that Intuit has decided that your version is about to be "sunsetted"
and that you will no longer be able to download financial data from
your financial institutions without upgrading to one of their more
ad-laden,
anti-piracy, phone-home new versions.

snip of Qwicked BS & Mark's true and appropriate reaction

Since I don't download from my financial institutions, this doesn't
really do anything for me other than, in similar manner to Intuit's
TurboTax product activation fiasco of a few years ago, motivate me to
find a competitive product to which I'll migrate when I have to retire
my current Quicken product when I replace my computer or OS in a few
years.

snip
I've been using Qwicked since 1991, when it was a nice, innovative
little accounting program, where I didn't have to bother my pretty
little head with credits and debits. I especially appreciated the fact
that accountants hate it. It was an nice intuitive program that served
both my personal & business needs (2 home-based professional
businesses, two rental properties, all hopelessly intertwined with
personal spending), unlike regular accounting programs (and most
accountants) that want your business to be structured to serve the
accounting system rather than vice-versa.

Like you, I don't download from my financial institutions, so it doesn't
matter to me. I never did see the point in downloading transactions, I
want to enter them by hand and then check them against the bank/credit
card statement. And I don't need most of the gizmos Quicken keeps
adding to the program, turning it into bloatware.

I've seriously considered moving everything to GNUCash, but it is
missing one fundamental feature I need: what Qwicked calls "classes" or
what is usually known as profit centres. I need to split, for example,
my not inconsiderable fuel oil bill into four (my business portion,
GST, my spouse's business, and personal use). And I need to report on it
quarterly.

Problem with the whole Linux thing, which I otherwise find extremely
attractive for all kinds of reasons (note newsreader), is that it's like
buying a really cheap but top quality router, which unfortunately only
comes with a metric collet. And I have to match profiles with work that
others are doing.

Also, I like the fact I can go back and change transactions without
entering time consuming and confusing adjustments: I have done that
on numerous occasions as my business needs changed or I thought of
better ways of doing things or realized I made a mistake.

So if anyone has a better idea about what we could use to replace
Quicken let us know.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
Luigi Zanasi

On Monday 31 Jan 2005 5:00 am, Tim Douglass scribbled:

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 11:01:33 +0000, Luigi Zanasi
wrote:

Can't you export (i.e. one of the "Print" choices in my Quicken 2002)
to a Lotus *.prn (i.e. Comma Delimited Format) and then import into
Excel. That's what I do. Or, maybe Quickbooks doesn't do that?

You can only export into comma delimited format, which doesn't exactly
do the same thing as dropping it into a fully formatted Excel
spreadsheet.

Point taken. I see now what you are trying to do.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
Old Nick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:18:25 -0800, Larry Blanchard
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

In article ,
says...
Yep. Sure. I see about 100+ entries every day. But that's from the
whole world's use of that NG, and IME this is a pretty active ng. In
the context of the total trafic through my ISP it is peanuts.

Whoa! I'm seeing about 300 and that's with a lot of stuff filtered out.

Ok OK. I said 100 _+_! G But seriously. It's still a miniscule
portion of total traffic. Both of my ISPs have said that. It's just
that one cares more!
Old Nick

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 22:22:56 -0500, "J. Clarke"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

The newsgroups are the same for everybody. What's different is how long
their particular server holds messages and the quality of the feed they
get from their upstream provider.

What's also different is if their server allows me to pick up news
messages. If it was amatter of tyhow lomg it held messages, then the
answer is "not at all".

I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

You said that the only difference was how long their particular server
holds messages and the quality of the feed they get from their
upstream provider. As far as I could tell, the "place where they held
their messages" was stuffed and they were not fixing it. Blunt enough?

There isn't anything to "fix".

Yes there is. I could not get news messages from one ISP's server.
Their database of news was munged. They were not going to fix it.

That seems odd.

See above. They have to store it somewhere. The storage was kaput,
munged, distorted, whatever.

Yep. Sure. I see about 100+ entries every day. But that's from the
whole world's use of that NG, and IME this is a pretty active ng. In
the context of the total trafic through my ISP it is peanuts.

However "total traffic" is a meaningless measure. One big graphic generates
more traffic than a thousand USENET posts.

_They_ said that they had less than 50 users. They have 10,000
customers. Not my words.

Which may mean that USENET is unpopular or may mean that 9951 of those
10,000 got disgusted with them and went to Newsguy or one of the other
dedicated USENET hosts, of which there are many.

no. their newsfeed had been great until it collapsed. look. you see
8000 posts in a week, you said? i dont think the wreck gets 1000 a
day, but however, those 800 posts come FROM THE WHOLE WORLD. the total
posts are a minor fraction of both traffic and number of users/hits
ACCORDING TO THE ISPs, not me!

nuff. it was their words not mine. given that they were losing my
custom because of it, and did not give a damn enough to fix it and yet
are doing very well, WTF should i argue. the number of people leaving
because of news feed was stuff all.
Glenna Rose

writes:
"The Quicken team is committed to delivering the best possible
products, service and security to our customers.

But, of course they would say that! However . . . That's the biggest
crock I've heard for a long time! We are Mac-only at work. The boss
tried MYOB but preferred QuickBooks. He used it for only invoices and
purchase orders. Since I started last spring, I've utilized many features
of which he was totally unaware, many of which have become very important
(and can be exported to import into our soon-to-be FileMaker accounting
program).

With two of us using it, a multi-user version is needed. However, Intuit
does not have one for Mac, only for the other side. He has called them
monthly asking when they were going to have one. Last month, they told
him the president has decided Mac users are not a market for them since
they constitute only 3 percent of the computer market (their numbers, not
ours). It was after that I mentioned this to a friend at our monthly
digital video special interest group meeting, and he suggested considering
a FileMaker accounting system as he knew we used FileMaker quite
extensively. I spoke with my oldest son who is a consultant (Apple
Certified Tech) as well as being an instructor who said that was a good
idea.

My son used Quicken which I've never liked because it is just too easy to
delete things. I guess because I have a "real" accounting background,
it's important to have a trail when changes are made, and these programs
just don't have them. My first system was in 1984 and was a real one that
could be customized (Open Systems, expensive but top quality and excellent
support); that was on a CPM system. Things can be locked out in FileMaker
so once an entry is made, it cannot be changed so that is desirable.

With Intuit's attitude toward Mac users, my dislike of the company has not
been lessened, nor has the disrespect for them. It seems like many
software companies forget that Mac users are incredibly loyal. Oh, well.

Glenna
who converted to Mac in 2000

HOW TO TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS cohibas Home Ownership 1 December 24th 04 01:20 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Amazing Cash Flow Cashflowstoday Home Ownership 0 January 7th 04 09:45 PM
Filtering Newsgroups on AOL Glider Rider Woodworking 1 October 9th 03 12:00 AM