Luigi Zanasi

On Monday 31 Jan 2005 3:37 am, Mark & Juanita scribbled:

Quicken 2002, eh? If you love Tim's problem, you are gonna love the
fact
that Intuit has decided that your version is about to be "sunsetted"
and that you will no longer be able to download financial data from
your financial institutions without upgrading to one of their more
ad-laden,
anti-piracy, phone-home new versions.

snip of Qwicked BS & Mark's true and appropriate reaction

Since I don't download from my financial institutions, this doesn't
really do anything for me other than, in similar manner to Intuit's
TurboTax product activation fiasco of a few years ago, motivate me to
find a competitive product to which I'll migrate when I have to retire
my current Quicken product when I replace my computer or OS in a few
years.

snip
I've been using Qwicked since 1991, when it was a nice, innovative
little accounting program, where I didn't have to bother my pretty
little head with credits and debits. I especially appreciated the fact
that accountants hate it. It was an nice intuitive program that served
both my personal & business needs (2 home-based professional
businesses, two rental properties, all hopelessly intertwined with
personal spending), unlike regular accounting programs (and most
accountants) that want your business to be structured to serve the
accounting system rather than vice-versa.

Like you, I don't download from my financial institutions, so it doesn't
matter to me. I never did see the point in downloading transactions, I
want to enter them by hand and then check them against the bank/credit
card statement. And I don't need most of the gizmos Quicken keeps
adding to the program, turning it into bloatware.

I've seriously considered moving everything to GNUCash, but it is
missing one fundamental feature I need: what Qwicked calls "classes" or
what is usually known as profit centres. I need to split, for example,
my not inconsiderable fuel oil bill into four (my business portion,
GST, my spouse's business, and personal use). And I need to report on it
quarterly.

Problem with the whole Linux thing, which I otherwise find extremely
attractive for all kinds of reasons (note newsreader), is that it's like
buying a really cheap but top quality router, which unfortunately only
comes with a metric collet. And I have to match profiles with work that
others are doing.

Also, I like the fact I can go back and change transactions without
entering time consuming and confusing adjustments: I have done that
on numerous occasions as my business needs changed or I thought of
better ways of doing things or realized I made a mistake.

So if anyone has a better idea about what we could use to replace
Quicken let us know.

--
Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email