Old Nick

On 24 Jan 2005 20:32:38 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I agree it's sad, and seems silly. But....

I just changed ISPs because the old one's ngs were moribund. They said
they were not fixing them. Nobody used them. I said "Well you weren't
right, but you may be from here on!" and left.

But my point is that the ngs seems to be a very little-used resource
on the Web. My old ISP has ten of thousands of customers, and they
said they had maybe 50 people using the groups on any sort of regular
basis.

Just got an AOL pop-up message: they're dumping Newsgroups in "early 2005".

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little more
rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I have other
chores.

Bless 'em all. And then they wonder why they lose customers.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000