Charlie Self

Default AOL dumping newsgroups

Just got an AOL pop-up message: they're dumping Newsgroups in "early 2005".

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little more
rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I have other
chores.

Bless 'em all. And then they wonder why they lose customers.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
Pounds on Wood

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
Just got an AOL pop-up message: they're dumping Newsgroups in "early

2005".

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little

more
rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I have

other
chores.

Bless 'em all. And then they wonder why they lose customers.

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's

some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November

2,
2000

Charlie, I recently tried a number of Usenet providers, independent of my
ISP. I suggest you check Supernews.com. I tried Valuenews and Teranews,
used them for a while, but Supernews has been flawless for the last 6 months
or so.

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

--
********
Bill Pounds

Roy Smith

Pounds on Wood wrote:
I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

Try panix (www.panix.com).
TWS

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:00:09 -0800, "Pounds on Wood"
wrote:

Charlie, I recently tried a number of Usenet providers, independent of my
ISP. I suggest you check Supernews.com. I tried Valuenews and Teranews,
used them for a while, but Supernews has been flawless for the last 6 months
or so.

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I checked the Supernews site and they claim to do a great job removing
spam. Do you think this is the case?

My own ISP does nothing that I can tell and I can't access newsgroups
while I'm traveling. It seems something like Supernews might be a
good solution.

TWS
Robert Bonomi

wrote:

Charlie, I recently tried a number of Usenet providers, independent of my
ISP. I suggest you check Supernews.com. I tried Valuenews and Teranews,
used them for a while, but Supernews has been flawless for the last 6 months
or so.

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I checked the Supernews site and they claim to do a great job removing
spam. Do you think this is the case?

SuperNews is widely regarded as the _best_in_the_business_ at 'despamming'
their newsfeed. And one of the top-tier news providers, on any basis of
consideration.

I just changed ISPs. and one of my primary considerations was that the ISP
provided "news" from SuperNews.

My own ISP does nothing that I can tell and I can't access newsgroups
while I'm traveling. It seems something like Supernews might be a
good solution.

TWS

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 21:26:47 GMT, TWS wrote:

I checked the Supernews site and they claim to do a great job removing
spam. Do you think this is the case?

Yes - excellent.

You don't _need_ to pay for a Supernews feed. There are still some
free feeds around with good service. If you go for a text-only server,
you often get a better deal (running Usenet is one thing, running a
binaries feed is _quite_ another).

But if you're happy to pay the few bucks a month, then Supernews is
about the best around.
Greg

If you have a broadband connection there is probably a news server bundled into
your deal. Comcast gives you a gig a month on Giganews.
Pounds on Wood

"TWS" wrote in message
d I checked the Supernews site and they claim to do a great job removing
spam. Do you think this is the case?

My own ISP does nothing that I can tell and I can't access newsgroups
while I'm traveling. It seems something like Supernews might be a
good solution.

TWS

I see very little offensive stuff with Supernews. If they could just filter
the trolls ...

--
********
Bill Pounds

TWS

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 16:18:17 -0800, "Pounds on Wood"
wrote:

I see very little offensive stuff with Supernews. If they could just filter
the trolls ...

I prefer they castrate them rather than filtration. Thx for the info.
TWS

John McCoy

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in
:

I see very little offensive stuff with Supernews. If they could just
filter the trolls ...

Supernews does filter the worst of the trolls. The serious trolls,
the ones who's purpose is to disrupt the group, almost invariably
crosspost to AUK, the nose, the flonk, etc. Supernews does not allow
crossposts to those groups, which has the effect of blocking the
trolls.

The lesser trolls, who are fixated on a particular subject or
poster and stick with one group, aren't as easy to filter.

John
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Pounds on Wood wrote:
I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner for many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather than the
rule.

As for AOL.... spew it's little better than a virus. Charlie will finally
get to experience the real internet without them. With a good set of mail
rules, that ain't necessarily a bad thing. G

--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

VE

B a r r y

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Pounds on Wood wrote:

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner for many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather than the
rule.

Same with SBC, here in CT. Other parts of the country may vary.

Barry
J. Clarke

B a r r y wrote:

Mortimer Schnerd, RN wrote:
Pounds on Wood wrote:

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just
cannot get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner
for many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather than
the rule.

Same with SBC, here in CT. Other parts of the country may vary.

I went from IBM (yeah, Big Blue IBM) to SBC in order to get DSL and found
that the number of groups carried and the scroll rate were much inferior
with SBC. That's when I started using Newsguy.

Barry

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Mike Marlow

"J. Clarke" wrote in message

I went from IBM (yeah, Big Blue IBM) to SBC in order to get DSL and found
that the number of groups carried and the scroll rate were much inferior
with SBC. That's when I started using Newsguy.

Just migrated from earthlink to alltel myself, in order to get DSL, and
found that alltel carries a lot more groups than earthlink did. It's too
soon for me to know about retention rates but then again for archived stuff
I find myself a google anyway, so retention beyond a few days doesn't really
matter to me.
--

-Mike-

TBone

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in message
. com...
Pounds on Wood wrote:
I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just

cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner for

many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather than

the
rule.

Do you really think so? I find that RR sucks. When I lived in NJ, I was
with Comcast and they used Giga-News and even though I had a 1 gig download
limit (unless I paid extra), the news servers held the posts for many days
and even weeks. Here with RR, even the text groups lose posts after only a
day or two and forget about the binaries.

Jeff P.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. It's almost impossible to complete multi-part
binary files on RR.

--
Jeff P.

"A ship carrying blue paint collided with a ship carrying red paint. The
crew are believed to be marooned."

Check out my woodshop at: www.sawdustcentral.com

. com...

Pounds on Wood wrote:
I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just

cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I don't know that I agree. I've had pretty good luck with Road Runner

for
many
years. There is the occasional hiccup but it's the exception rather

than
the
rule.

Do you really think so? I find that RR sucks. When I lived in NJ, I was
with Comcast and they used Giga-News and even though I had a 1 gig

download
limit (unless I paid extra), the news servers held the posts for many days
and even weeks. Here with RR, even the text groups lose posts after only

day or two and forget about the binaries.

WD

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 13:00:09 -0800, "Pounds on Wood"
wrote:

Supernews is supergood. My ISP now using UseNetServer. Not bad but having
problems, during the last few months.

[...]

I get excellent service through earthlink. The are the best ISP I've
ever had. The upgraded their newsgroup servers about 2 years ago and
things have been fast and reliable ever since. They actually resell
network services through others, but I believe own their own servers.
My actual network connection is through time warner cable - also
superb.

Bob Davis
Houston, Texas

I'm using Google on the road via a browser from my hotel. I use
earthlink at home for newsgroups. I know what you're talking about.
By the way, you don't have to show an earthlink address to access
earthlink newsgroups through an earthlink server on an earthlink
network. You wouldn't know I was using earthlink unless I told you.
Bob

Charlie Self

bluemax writes:

I'm using Google on the road via a browser from my hotel. I use
earthlink at home for newsgroups. I know what you're talking about.
By the way, you don't have to show an earthlink address to access
earthlink newsgroups through an earthlink server on an earthlink
network. You wouldn't know I was using earthlink unless I told you.

I use Google for archived stuff, but it is awful, IMO. I'll have to take
another look at Earthlink. I loaded it once, and had so much trouble canceling
it, I swore off forever. But, as the saying goes, "Never say never."

Charlie Self
"They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some
kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2,
2000
Rich

"Pounds on Wood" wrote in message

[...]

Sure you can, I have Comcast and they give you a 2gig/month account with
GigaNews, which has great retention and completeness..

Rich

Prometheus

wrote:

Charlie, I recently tried a number of Usenet providers, independent of my
ISP. I suggest you check Supernews.com. I tried Valuenews and Teranews,
used them for a while, but Supernews has been flawless for the last 6 months
or so.

I've had both Supernews (when charter high-speed was offering it as
the news server) and Giganews. While Supernews was nothing to sneeze
at, Giganews has them beat cold as far as retension rates and number
of groups goes. Bear in mind that I was accessing Supernews through
my ISP, but I also found that Giganews is faster as well.

I can't fault you for dumping AOL, but the sad truth is that you just cannot
get good usenet feed from an ISP these days.

I applaud you for dumping AOL! There's nothing to recommand that
group of bozos.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:27:41 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

I've had both Supernews (when charter high-speed was offering it as
the news server) and Giganews.

I've had all three. Supernews (from my ISP), Giganews (from my ISP)
and finally Supernews (paid).

Paid Supernews is by far the best. Bundled Supernews wasn't bad, but
it was clearly being heavily throttled. I found bundled Giganews
better for speed, but unreliable in too many other ways.
B a r r y

Brian Elfert wrote:

The number of Internet users who use Usenet news is small and getting
smaller. Most people haven't even heard of Usenet. There are some
sizeable ISPs that have never even offered Usenet news.

The number of people who access Usenet via web gateways, and believe
they are actually on a large chat site is amazing.

Google is the most well known, but I've seen many.

Barry
Dave Hinz

On 24 Jan 2005 20:32:38 GMT, Charlie Self wrote:
Just got an AOL pop-up message: they're dumping Newsgroups in "early 2005".

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little more
rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I have other
chores.

Bless 'em all. And then they wonder why they lose customers.

You should be able to get connectivity through AOL and then connect to
another newsserver with a real newsreader. news.individual.net is
a great free server.

Swingman

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little

more
rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I have

other
chores.

Giganews is an excellent source of usenet. Stay away from Meganetnews, if
they're still around ... lousy servers and an attitude that the customer is
always wrong.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

loutent

I cast a vote for Giganews. Not a serious problem
in the 3 years with them ... and their prices
actually go down with increasing capacity &
service.

Increasing groups & increasing retention (i.e
months).

Ain't many like that these days.

Lou

In article , Swingman
wrote:

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Sweet sufferin' sumpin or other. I guess I head for another ISP a little

more
rapidly than I had planned. Like Wednesday. I'd do it today, but I have

other
chores.

Giganews is an excellent source of usenet. Stay away from Meganetnews, if
they're still around ... lousy servers and an attitude that the customer is
always wrong.

Tim Douglass

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 20:09:21 -0500, loutent wrote:

I cast a vote for Giganews. Not a serious problem
in the 3 years with them ... and their prices
actually go down with increasing capacity &
service.

Increasing groups & increasing retention (i.e
months).

Ain't many like that these days.

Newsguy.com is also very good. I've been with them for years and they
keep getting better. I can only recall one non-scheduled outage.

They also filter spam pretty well.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
patrick conroy

"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Just got an AOL pop-up message: they're dumping Newsgroups in "early

2005".

Nuthin' but porn on 'em anyway!
Or - so I'm *told*!

AOL just doesn't get it.

Dave Hall

What do people recommend for a good newsreader that is as easy to use
as AOL/Compuserve? While Compuserve /AOL may lose messages, the reader
is very easy and intuitive to me. MUCH better than Outlook Express.
Dave Hall

WD

On 24 Jan 2005 17:16:40 -0800, "Dave Hall" wrote:

The best newsreader, Forte Agent. Been using it since 95's. Try it for free

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

What do people recommend for a good newsreader that is as easy to use
as AOL/Compuserve? While Compuserve /AOL may lose messages, the reader
is very easy and intuitive to me. MUCH better than Outlook Express.
Dave Hall

Tom Watson

On 24 Jan 2005 17:16:40 -0800, "Dave Hall" wrote:

What do people recommend for a good newsreader that is as easy to use
as AOL/Compuserve? While Compuserve /AOL may lose messages, the reader
is very easy and intuitive to me. MUCH better than Outlook Express.
Dave Hall

sigh...

watson - who remembers when having a low numbered CompuServe account
had a certain amount of cachet...

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)
Rick

Ah ... but Tom ... do you remember when GE Telenet was bought out by
CompuServe? Those were the days!

Rick

P.S. Really enjoyed the movie.

Is the Pointy Stick II (The Sequel) coming out soon?

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On 24 Jan 2005 17:16:40 -0800, "Dave Hall" wrote:

What do people recommend for a good newsreader that is as easy to use
as AOL/Compuserve? While Compuserve /AOL may lose messages, the reader
is very easy and intuitive to me. MUCH better than Outlook Express.
Dave Hall

sigh...

watson - who remembers when having a low numbered CompuServe account
had a certain amount of cachet...

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

HOW TO TURN SIX DOLLARS INTO SIX THOUSAND DOLLARS cohibas Home Ownership 1 December 24th 04 01:20 AM
easy money Onemoredrunk Home Ownership 0 October 11th 04 01:00 AM
Amazing Cash Flow Cashflowstoday Home Ownership 0 January 7th 04 09:45 PM
Filtering Newsgroups on AOL Glider Rider Woodworking 1 October 9th 03 12:00 AM