ToolMiser

Default Old Skil sander belt size?

I have an old "Skil" model 324 belt sander, and I would like to get some
sanding belts for it. The one that was on it measured 4 1/2" x 26 1/8" on the
outside. I am guessing I need one 26" long, because this one could have
stretched, and also I measured it on the outside of the belt (medium grit). I
don't know how accurate the measurement needs to be, and I don't have an owners
manual for this machine. It is a neat old sander, the motor sits parallel with
the belt, and it is gear driven, just like the side winder skil saws. I am
guessing this is from the 50's, and it weighs a ton.
Thanks for all comments!
Duane Bozarth

ToolMiser wrote:

I have an old "Skil" model 324 belt sander, and I would like to get some
sanding belts for it. The one that was on it measured 4 1/2" x 26 1/8" on the
outside. I am guessing I need one 26" long, because this one could have
stretched, and also I measured it on the outside of the belt (medium grit). I
don't know how accurate the measurement needs to be, and I don't have an owners
manual for this machine. It is a neat old sander, the motor sits parallel with
the belt, and it is gear driven, just like the side winder skil saws. I am
guessing this is from the 50's, and it weighs a ton.
Thanks for all comments!

I don't think I've ever seen a 26" belt...21, 24, and a few others. You
might try Klingspor...
ToolMiser

It's terrible when I reply to my own message, but I got poking around on ebay,
and someone had some original belts for this sander and they were 4 1/2 x 26".
But if you happen to have a manual, or other info on this sander, please let me
know.

Thanks!
mike hide

"ToolMiser" wrote in message
I have an old "Skil" model 324 belt sander, and I would like to get some
sanding belts for it. The one that was on it measured 4 1/2" x 26 1/8" on

the
outside. I am guessing I need one 26" long, because this one could have
stretched, and also I measured it on the outside of the belt (medium

grit). I
don't know how accurate the measurement needs to be, and I don't have an

owners
manual for this machine. It is a neat old sander, the motor sits parallel

with
the belt, and it is gear driven, just like the side winder skil saws. I

am
guessing this is from the 50's, and it weighs a ton.
Thanks for all comments!

I have one also ,the best sander I ever owned. the only problem Skill do not
support their products and no one to my knowledge makes a 4 1/2" belt
anymore . I have mine made to order at ,cant remember the name ,something
like klinghoffer in NC somewhere, they do all kinds of sanding stuff..

I find it is well wiorth the cost as the machine is exceptional ,I have even
sanded table tops with it ....mjh

Duane Bozarth

mike hide wrote:

...have mine made to order at ,cant remember the name ,something
like klinghoffer in NC somewhere, ...

That's the Klingspor folk I pointed him to as probably his best bet,
also...

Dr. Deb

ToolMiser wrote:

It's terrible when I reply to my own message, but I got poking around on
ebay, and someone had some original belts for this sander and they were 4
1/2 x 26". But if you happen to have a manual, or other info on this
sander, please let me know.

Thanks!

Try Econ-Abrasives in Frisco Texas 1-800-367-4101 or

http://www.econabrasives.com/

They can make any belt, any size, any grit. Not to mention they are
reasonable.

Deb

Bosch 1278VS mini belt sander belt problems Ed Woodworking 5 November 19th 17 03:44 PM
Harbor Freight 3x21" belt sander (short review) Joe Emenaker Woodworking 12 August 8th 04 02:12 PM
Bench Belt Sander? Oregon Woodworking 3 February 13th 04 11:14 PM
REVIEW: PC 352VS 3x21 Belt Sander Jay Pique Woodworking 5 November 25th 03 03:43 AM
Belt sander clogging Ernie Jurick Woodworking 6 November 4th 03 08:45 PM