edog

Default removing paint from hardwood floors

All,

I have a few spills on my hardwood floors from painting various items
around the house. The spills are oil based primer and oil based paint.
I know it's very easy to remove the stuff when it's fresh by using
mineral spirits as it comes right up, but what about after it has
dried/cured?

Am I out of luck ? Will mineral spirits still be effective, if not,
what are the proper steps to take.

For the sharp tongued:

Yes I tried to protect the floors, I had plastic sheeting covering the
whole area but between two crazy pets and three wild kids, the plastic
moved in some areas and the floor became exposed.
Thanks in advance guys.

Mineral spirits will not touch dried paint. More likely to strip finish
off hardwood floor, if it is only wax. Paint stripper will give the
same result, only worse.
What is the finish on the floor, if it is known?
How big are the spots?
If small, I would get a box of single edge razor blades and a pair of
knee pads and start scraping, very carefully, at the spots, going just
far enough to remove the paint. You may still have to wax or repair
the floor finish where the spots were.
Good luck...

bf

If it was me, I'd try to scrape off what I could with my fingernail and
a plastic scraper.

Then use mineral spirits on the rest.

Ray

'Sharpen' a stiff putty knife on your grinder or with a file then round the
corners to prevent gouging the floor. Scrape slowly and carefully..

--
Too much is not enough!
Ray
"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

I have a few spills on my hardwood floors from painting various items
around the house. The spills are oil based primer and oil based paint.
I know it's very easy to remove the stuff when it's fresh by using
mineral spirits as it comes right up, but what about after it has
dried/cured?

Am I out of luck ? Will mineral spirits still be effective, if not,
what are the proper steps to take.

For the sharp tongued:

Yes I tried to protect the floors, I had plastic sheeting covering the
whole area but between two crazy pets and three wild kids, the plastic
moved in some areas and the floor became exposed.
Thanks in advance guys.

Nova

edog wrote:

All,

I have a few spills on my hardwood floors from painting various items
around the house. The spills are oil based primer and oil based paint.
I know it's very easy to remove the stuff when it's fresh by using
mineral spirits as it comes right up, but what about after it has
dried/cured?

Am I out of luck ? Will mineral spirits still be effective, if not,
what are the proper steps to take.

For the sharp tongued:

Yes I tried to protect the floors, I had plastic sheeting covering the
whole area but between two crazy pets and three wild kids, the plastic
moved in some areas and the floor became exposed.
Thanks in advance guys.

Spills or drips? For drips use a single edged razor blade as a mini
scraper and a lot of care.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

edog

The floor is stained (cherry type finish) with polyurethane on top. I
have a mixture of spills and drips.

So far, this doesn't look good. I didn't know it would be this
difficult to get the paint up. If the finish is stripped I don't
care... I'd rather look at that instead of white paint. I guess
sanding is the only option ?

gw

"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
The floor is stained (cherry type finish) with polyurethane on top. I
have a mixture of spills and drips.

So far, this doesn't look good. I didn't know it would be this
difficult to get the paint up. If the finish is stripped I don't
care... I'd rather look at that instead of white paint. I guess
sanding is the only option ?

Have you tried a product like Valspar's Goof-Off? I know it works for latex
paint, but I have not tried it on oil. They sell small cans in various chain
and hardware stores.
Try in a very inconspicuous area first.

I might also try a heat gun on a low setting. The drips may peel off of the
poly if the paint has not bonded with it.

David

I've used the stuff show in the link for a variety of small paint
removal projects on delicate items.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/flo/flof552144.htm

DAVID

edog wrote:
All,

I have a few spills on my hardwood floors from painting various items
around the house. The spills are oil based primer and oil based paint.
I know it's very easy to remove the stuff when it's fresh by using
mineral spirits as it comes right up, but what about after it has
dried/cured?

Am I out of luck ? Will mineral spirits still be effective, if not,
what are the proper steps to take.

For the sharp tongued:

Yes I tried to protect the floors, I had plastic sheeting covering the
whole area but between two crazy pets and three wild kids, the plastic
moved in some areas and the floor became exposed.
Thanks in advance guys.

Baron

You might try soaking the dried spills with some linseed oil until the
spills soften and then scraping off.

Good Luck.

"edog" wrote in message
oups.com...
All,

I have a few spills on my hardwood floors from painting various items
around the house. The spills are oil based primer and oil based paint.
I know it's very easy to remove the stuff when it's fresh by using
mineral spirits as it comes right up, but what about after it has
dried/cured?

Am I out of luck ? Will mineral spirits still be effective, if not,
what are the proper steps to take.

For the sharp tongued:

Yes I tried to protect the floors, I had plastic sheeting covering the
whole area but between two crazy pets and three wild kids, the plastic
moved in some areas and the floor became exposed.
Thanks in advance guys.

Removing Paint From A Foundation Wall ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 January 19th 05 06:15 AM
Suggestions on removing paint from INSIDE of a fireplace firebox? [email protected] Home Ownership 0 January 3rd 05 11:16 PM
Removing Paint mistakes on wood floor [email protected] Home Repair 12 May 6th 04 01:09 AM
Hardwood Floors Tim Home Repair 8 April 8th 04 07:02 AM
Help needed with dark hardwood floors Gary McG Home Repair 4 September 6th 03 10:57 PM