R.H.

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
om...
The pictures aren't all that good but try page 41 of this:

http://www.autobodysupplies.com/SECT...%20Catalog.pdf

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

Thanks for the link! I have to admit that I'm surprised that it's actually
used for that, I thought it might be for working on leather.

Rob

R.H.

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

"yourname" wrote in message
dammit, I thought I'd get that one first.
tis true, I own one

As I asked the previous poster, any idea where I could see one like it on
the web?

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ Scroll down to #253. (:
I actually hunted around for a while because I have seen such a tool
out on the internet, but I couldn't find it this time around.
However, I did find this gem during my search:
http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:...get.phtml?mess
age_id=59285&submit_thread=1#message
Or: http://tinyurl.com/5p4h6 for short.

Thanks for posting that, those were pretty good.

R.H.

"Jim C Roberts" jimnthem_AT_comcast_DOT_net wrote in message
Figured I'd give this a try;

248) Hand exerciser

Nope

249) No clue, but it looks painful

250) No idea, is the top right end open?

It isn't open, it's a solid chunk of metal.

251) Drywall anchor

Correct.

252) Hold down dogs of some sort?

I'm not familiar with "hold down dogs" but if it means the same as pipe jaws
for a vise, then you're correct.

253) Again no idea, but it too looks painful.

Hmmm, only able to guess at 3 out of 6, oh well.

Regards,
Jim C Roberts

R.H.

"Scotty" wrote in message
ups.com...
Just posted another set of photos this morning:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

252. Pipe clamp jaws for a vise.

Scotty

Correct.

Tom Watson

I don't think that 247 has been taken, but it's a boot pull.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:19:58 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

Just posted another set of photos this morning:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1 (webpage)

DoN. Nichols

In article ,
R.H. wrote:
But there *should* be. The Phillips driver screws this into the
wall, and then a long metal screw is put into the center of the first,
and it shifts the point, turning it sideway, and clamps down on the

back
of the drywall with it. They come in a clear plastic box with several
of these, and an equal number of the screws to put into them once they
are seated in the drywall.

The one in my photo is different than the type you have in mind, there is no
second screw for this one. If you haven't already seen the link that I
posted previously, have a look at this site for instructions for this one:

http://www.itwbrands.com/prod_ezanchor_hanger.php

O.K. That is different. Though aside from the head with the
groove, it looks similar to the three-piece ones which I was describing,
where the drill point is dislodged by the insertion of the final screw,
and turned into a transverse clamp to better resist pull-out.

Note the caveat in that web page that it is for a maximum load
of 40 lbs. And that would be for a pure shear type load. Anything
which translates to much of a pull would have to be derated. And it
*might* not let go until a particularly humid day, or a mild earthquake,
or something similar.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Martin H. Eastburn

R.H. wrote:

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
om...

"R.H." writes:

251. Drywall anchor

It's used with drywall, but it's not an anchor.

I take that back, I looks like it is an anchor so this answer is correct.

thought an anchor was something that a screw was screwed into, but I

guess

it applies to a wider variety of items.

Actually, you screw a screw into the #251, it's not much use otherwise.

If you haven't already seen the link that explains this one, here it is
again:

http://www.itwbrands.com/prod_ezanchor_hanger.php

The drywall anchor that is useful in Paneling, Hollow Doors and thin plaster
is made by Rayfix International owned by Midwest Fastener Corporation (might have owner backwards)

These are called "Ultimate Gold Wall Anchor - gold color - holds up to 60 pounds.
I bought a couple of packages at my local Lumber Company. Had to mount some heavy stuff - used 3.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
Todd Fatheree

"R.H." writes:
251. Drywall anchor

It's used with drywall, but it's not an anchor.

I take that back, I looks like it is an anchor so this answer is

correct.
thought an anchor was something that a screw was screwed into, but I

guess
it applies to a wider variety of items.

Actually, you screw a screw into the #251, it's not much use otherwise.

If you haven't already seen the link that explains this one, here it is
again:

http://www.itwbrands.com/prod_ezanchor_hanger.php

Funny. I'm working on a network upgrade for ITW Brands at the moment....

todd

R.H.

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
I don't think that 247 has been taken, but it's a boot pull.

The boot puller was in last week's set of photos, but you are correct
nonetheless.

Rich Grise

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 19:31:04 -0600, B.B. wrote:

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

"yourname" wrote in message
dammit, I thought I'd get that one first.
tis true, I own one

As I asked the previous poster, any idea where I could see one like it on
the web?

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/ Scroll down to #253. (:
I actually hunted around for a while because I have seen such a tool
out on the internet, but I couldn't find it this time around.
However, I did find this gem during my search:
http://denali.frontier.iarc.uaf.edu:...get.phtml?mess
age_id=59285&submit_thread=1#message
Or: http://tinyurl.com/5p4h6 for short.

What's the point of this, and what does it have to do with the eyelet tool?
All I see is a bunch of old, lame, pilot complaint jokes.

Thanks,
Rich

Matthew Newell

In article , dnichols@d-
and-d.com says...
In article ,
Matthew Newell wrote:
In article , dnichols@d-
and-d.com says...
In article ,
R.H. wrote:

"Matthew Newell" wrote in message
ET...

[ ... ]

251 - a plastre board screw - screw this into plaster board
and use normal screw in hole through core (not shown)of
this thing

[ ... ]

But there *should* be. The Phillips driver screws this into the
wall, and then a long metal screw is put into the center of the first,
and it shifts the point, turning it sideway, and clamps down on the back
of the drywall with it. They come in a clear plastic box with several
of these, and an equal number of the screws to put into them once they
are seated in the drywall.

snipped

Don is completely correct - my entire office is partitioned
with (what we call in UK) plaster board.

There are various names for it here in the USA. The most common
(at least in the Washington DC vicinity) is "drywall", though I first
learned "sheetrock" down in South Texas. (It may have been a brand
name -- I was just a kid at the time.)

The board is not
strong enough to hold pictures or maps using a normal screw
or tack. this thing you have is pushed into the plaster
board - then its external thread is used to pull it all the
way into the soft wall till its head is flush, then the
smaller fine metal screw is used to attach 'whatever' to
the wall via the plastic screw.

I have a tv screen held to wall with them - so I sure hope
they work!

Thanks for your concern Don - it's an LCD flat screen. I
reckon a decent size CRT would be nigh impossible - and in
any situation it would be easier and safer to use a floor
stand.

The largest(heaviest) thing I have held up with these
things is a 6' by 4' framed map - it must weigh close on 80
lbs and is held on by two screws. It was put up before I
arrived at this office and as it has been fine for about 10
years I see no reason to question its safety.

Regards

Matthew
B.B.

In article ,
Rich Grise wrote:

[...]

Or: http://tinyurl.com/5p4h6 for short.

What's the point of this, and what does it have to do with the eyelet tool?
All I see is a bunch of old, lame, pilot complaint jokes.

Thanks,
Rich

It was funny.
You're welcome.

http://web2.airmail.net/thegoat4/
GregP

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:08:20 -0000, Matthew Newell
wrote:

Don is completely correct - my entire office is partitioned
with (what we call in UK) plaster board.

There are various names for it here in the USA. The most common
(at least in the Washington DC vicinity) is "drywall", though I first
learned "sheetrock" down in South Texas. (It may have been a brand
name -- I was just a kid at the time.)

I run into a lot of people in NY who also call it sheetrock. But
wasn't "sheetrock" another product altogether back in the 50's ?
late 40's ?? I've worked on old houses that had changes made
to them over the years and I ran into what I thought was sheetrock
in some of these mods. The stuff was much thicker and harder
than drywall, and came in plank-like form, looking a lot like
concrete "planks" I've seen every once in a while. ???????

Tim Mullen

In GregP writes:

I run into a lot of people in NY who also call it sheetrock.

I've always known sheetrock and drywall to be synonyms. Then
again, IANAC (I Am Not A Contractor).

But
wasn't "sheetrock" another product altogether back in the 50's ?
late 40's ?? I've worked on old houses that had changes made
to them over the years and I ran into what I thought was sheetrock
in some of these mods. The stuff was much thicker and harder
than drywall, and came in plank-like form, looking a lot like
concrete "planks" I've seen every once in a while. ???????

Hmm. There's also "rockwall" or "concrete board" which is what
you're supposed to use for backing in wet areas, like behind tiles
in the bath. It comes in the same size sheets as sheetrock, though.

--
Tim Mullen
Am I in your basement? Looking for antique televisions, fans, etc.
Andrew Barss

In rec.woodworking GregP wrote:

: I run into a lot of people in NY who also call it sheetrock.

New England too.

But
: wasn't "sheetrock" another product altogether back in the 50's ?
: late 40's ?? I've worked on old houses that had changes made
: to them over the years and I ran into what I thought was sheetrock
: in some of these mods. The stuff was much thicker and harder
: than drywall, and came in plank-like form, looking a lot like
: concrete "planks" I've seen every once in a while. ???????

That's Rocklath, which is apparently still available.

-- Andy Barss

Nova

Andrew Barss wrote:

In rec.woodworking GregP wrote:

: I run into a lot of people in NY who also call it sheetrock.

New England too.

But
: wasn't "sheetrock" another product altogether back in the 50's ?
: late 40's ?? I've worked on old houses that had changes made
: to them over the years and I ran into what I thought was sheetrock
: in some of these mods. The stuff was much thicker and harder
: than drywall, and came in plank-like form, looking a lot like
: concrete "planks" I've seen every once in a while. ???????

That's Rocklath, which is apparently still available.

-- Andy Barss

I never got Greg's post so I'll tag on to Andy's.

"Sheetrock" is just a brand name for one of United States Gypsum
Company's wall board products. It happens to be one of the more common
brands available in my area. See:

http://www.usg.com/Product_Index/newprod_humitek.asp

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

GregP

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 23:05:44 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

That's Rocklath, which is apparently still available.

-- Andy Barss

Most likely: that's a name I used to hear years ago.
GregP

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 08:43:02 -0600, "DanG" wrote:

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

thanks... :-)
Anthony VanCampen

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:19:58 +0000, R.H. wrote:
254 -- Don't have a clue, the spots across the top lool like batery
charger pads.

255 -- Again no clue.

256 -- Tensioner arm from a reel to reel tape deck?

257 -- No clue

258 -- Knife sharpener.

259 -- Novelty hand cuff key, shape is similar to the Monodnock PR-24 side
handle batton. The pin end near the split ring is used to lock the cuff
lattch so that the cuffs won't continue to tighten up. The locking bar on
the cuff is at the same end as the chain links. Despite my calling it a
novelty key the design is rather practical, note that the handle is inline
with the blade on the key. Makes it easy to orientate in the dark. The
larger size is also handy the standard key is about 1/2 inch long.

Tigger

R.H.

"Anthony VanCampen" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:19:58 +0000, R.H. wrote:
254 -- Don't have a clue, the spots across the top lool like batery
charger pads.

255 -- Again no clue.

256 -- Tensioner arm from a reel to reel tape deck?

It isn't part of a tape deck.

257 -- No clue

258 -- Knife sharpener.

259 -- Novelty hand cuff key, shape is similar to the Monodnock PR-24 side
handle batton. The pin end near the split ring is used to lock the cuff
lattch so that the cuffs won't continue to tighten up. The locking bar on
the cuff is at the same end as the chain links. Despite my calling it a
novelty key the design is rather practical, note that the handle is inline
with the blade on the key. Makes it easy to orientate in the dark. The
larger size is also handy the standard key is about 1/2 inch long.

These last two are correct.