Phil Hansen

Default WOT - internal modem

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?
Thanks
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:24:56 +0200, Phil Hansen wrote:
I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?

Can't help there, but does it at least have a way to make the sound
audible to you, either through it's own speaker, or through your system's
speakers? You can at least hear it while it's dialing and negotiating.

Also, maybe sourceforge.net would have something, lots of good open-source
tools there. This seems like something someone else would have already
been annoyed enough by to fix.

Dave Hinz

RampRat

There should be a volume control in the modem properties. That will
allow you to hear what's going on.
Rick

Knothead

There used to be a 95 program called netmon but I don't know of anything
newer. If you have XP you should be able to display the network connection
in the task bar and watch the status...

Tom

Phil wrote: I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling
me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?

Phil, do you mean when uploads or downloads are happening? If so, Zonealarm
places a small "meter" on the taskbar with colored bars. Pretty good security,
and free, too. Tom
Work at your leisure!

Dave Hinz

On 19 Jan 2005 21:54:33 GMT, Tom wrote:
Phil wrote: I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling
me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?

Phil, do you mean when uploads or downloads are happening? If so, Zonealarm
places a small "meter" on the taskbar with colored bars. Pretty good security,
and free, too. Tom

There ya go, solves activity monitoring _and_ a big security concern.
And it's free. But I know what he means, I did like having those LEDs
to tell me at a glance what was going on.

Upscale

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

There ya go, solves activity monitoring _and_ a big security concern.
And it's free. But I know what he means, I did like having those LEDs
to tell me at a glance what was going on.

I agree. What I miss the most was the light indicating a high speed
connection. If it was out, you'd cancel the download and try again. I
suppose there's software that can do that now, but the physical light was a
quick easy indication of whether to continue or not.

Guess who

wrote:

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?
Thanks

Look he

http://www.abuys.com/calvgar/deskt45.htm

Now try to keep on track. This is a woodworking conference.

Log

I don;t know but when I was on dial up there was an icon on the lower corner
of my screen by the clock that flashed when there was data passing to/from
the web. If your using dialup networking provided by windows... I know that
if your using something like netzero your out of luck unless you use
something like zonealarm.

Ask the experts over at news.grc.com
Probably the newsgroup grc.techtalk

HTH.

-- Mark

SaeedCh

I think modem is not Compatable with your motherboard.Iff problum is
there replace with some {Standard Modem}
SaeedCh

Phil Hansen

wrote:

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The speaker volume is high but it is only
useful when connecting.
Had Zonealarm but somehow it screwed up my XP installation and had to
reinstall XP. Wary of installing it again.
Downloaded Dunmon. Works for me. Thanks

J. Clarke

Phil Hansen wrote:

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?
Thanks

You might want to ask this one in comp.dcom.modems.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
mac davis

wrote:

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?
Thanks

hmm.. there used to be a program from Hayes, back in the old days,
that duplicated the red & green lights or whatever, on your toolbar..

btw: what's a modem?? *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Lee Michaels

" Phil Hansen wrote:
I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?

I don't want to discourage you.

But internal modems have screwed up on me again and again. Including a nasty
habit of not turning off when I want them to.

I ended up shutting down every internal modem I ever had to go to a much
more expensive external modem.

But these days, I use a cable modem. With its handy on and off switch on the
front.

Leon

wrote:

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?
Thanks

Thanks for the replies. The speaker volume is high but it is only
useful when connecting.
Had Zonealarm but somehow it screwed up my XP installation and had to
reinstall XP. Wary of installing it again.
Downloaded Dunmon. Works for me. Thanks

Some times Zone Alarm works with XP sometimes it does not. I had to
uninstall Zone Alarm not simply not use it but uninstall it before a brand
new Dell with XP Pro would connect to DSL. It worked fine on 98 DSL.

mac davis

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 07:32:23 -0500, "Lee Michaels"
wrote:

" Phil Hansen wrote:
I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what
is happening. Have done some searching with no success for a utility
that shows the lights on screen. Can anybody recommend a suitable
utility?

I don't want to discourage you.

But internal modems have screwed up on me again and again. Including a nasty
habit of not turning off when I want them to.

I ended up shutting down every internal modem I ever had to go to a much
more expensive external modem.

But these days, I use a cable modem. With its handy on and off switch on the
front.

and it's pretty set of lights!

between the cable modem and router, we have a mini light show..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Dave Hinz

wrote:

I have installed an internal modem and miss the lights telling me what

Now try to keep on track. This is a woodworking conference.

You missed the "way off topic" in the subject line?

Patriarch

mac davis wrote in
:

and it's pretty set of lights!

between the cable modem and router, we have a mini light show..

The good news is that it's in the garage, right next to the structured
wiring panel. And behind the rack with 400 bf of hardwoods. Which is both
bad news (troubleshooting) and good news (really nice hardwoods).

After 7 years, I couldn't deal with dialup on a regular basis. Spoiled.

Patriarch
Phil Hansen

btw: what's a modem?? *g*

What the rest of the world uses to communicate - at a pay by second
rate G