Paul Duffy

Default Drilling through internal solid walls...........

Hi

I'm running network wiring through my flat and want to know the best way
to drill through internal solid walls (they may be breeze blocks, bricks
or concrete...i'm not sure).

I'm not sure if I should check for internal steel rods? If so how?

Also I think the internal wiring runs run at ceiling height inside wood
runs in the internal walls, is there an easy way to check this without
drilling?

I have a B&D hammer jack drill, would I be better renting a pro drill?

TIA

Rick Dipper

On Wed, 4 Aug 2004 16:32:11 +0100, Paul Duffy
wrote:

Hi

I'm running network wiring through my flat and want to know the best way
to drill through internal solid walls (they may be breeze blocks, bricks
or concrete...i'm not sure).

I'm not sure if I should check for internal steel rods? If so how?

Also I think the internal wiring runs run at ceiling height inside wood
runs in the internal walls, is there an easy way to check this without
drilling?

I have a B&D hammer jack drill, would I be better renting a pro drill?

TIA

Bang a nail in, and see how soft the wall is, then let us know.

Finding metal is easy, use one of the metal detector things. You can
get them that show live wires as being different from just boring old
metal.

The drill type you need is a function of the size of the hole, and the
density of the material, with quality of the drill being a function of
how much cash you have and how many holes you need to drill.

If you have 10 cables next to each other they are much larger than you
first think. I have learnt drill 4 times the size of hole you imagine,
first 2 times cause you can't imagine well enough, and twice again
more for all the extra cables SHMBO needs the day after you finish.

Rick

T i m

wrote:

If you have 10 cables next to each other they are much larger than you
first think. I have learnt drill 4 times the size of hole you imagine,

I know what you mean .. I put a 50mm dia core drill through a wall
recently and 25 FTP Cat5 cables only just went through .. !

All the best ..

T i m
invalid

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

If you have 10 cables next to each other they are much larger than you
first think. I have learnt drill 4 times the size of hole you imagine,

I know what you mean .. I put a 50mm dia core drill through a wall
recently and 25 FTP Cat5 cables only just went through .. !

Don't you mean 25 UTP or maybe even STP cables? Don't know where or how
you managed to buy FTP cable.

BillV

"invalid" wrote in message
In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

If you have 10 cables next to each other they are much larger than you
first think. I have learnt drill 4 times the size of hole you imagine,

I know what you mean .. I put a 50mm dia core drill through a wall
recently and 25 FTP Cat5 cables only just went through .. !

Don't you mean 25 UTP or maybe even STP cables? Don't know where or how
you managed to buy FTP cable.

File Tranfer Protocol is very good, will work on wet string... :-)

Rick Dipper

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:09:24 +0100, "BillV"
wrote:

"invalid" wrote in message
In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

If you have 10 cables next to each other they are much larger than you
first think. I have learnt drill 4 times the size of hole you imagine,

I know what you mean .. I put a 50mm dia core drill through a wall
recently and 25 FTP Cat5 cables only just went through .. !

Don't you mean 25 UTP or maybe even STP cables? Don't know where or how
you managed to buy FTP cable.

File Tranfer Protocol is very good, will work on wet string... :-)

FTP is not very good at all, which is why the world invented "scp".
FTP is a hackers paradice, much like Microsoft XP.

Rick