Default supporting first floor in solid stone walled house

Hi,

We are trying to figure out how to support an upper-level floor
without having to dig into the solid stone walls of the house. One
suggestion we have is putting up something similar to a stud partition
against the wall (then the floor joists can rest on the headers of
these "partitions"). But this leaves some questions over the details
of such an approach. Do the studs have to be fixed to the wall itself
as well (and what would be the best way to fix to stone walls)? Does
one usually leave a gap between the studs and the wall (seeing as the
walls are external ones)? Do we have to separate the studs from the
wall with damp proof membrane? Are there other possible methods?

Any tips will be appreciated!

Gina
IMM

"g" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We are trying to figure out how to support an upper-level floor
without having to dig into the solid stone walls of the house. One
suggestion we have is putting up something similar to a stud partition
against the wall (then the floor joists can rest on the headers of
these "partitions"). But this leaves some questions over the details
of such an approach. Do the studs have to be fixed to the wall itself
as well (and what would be the best way to fix to stone walls)? Does
one usually leave a gap between the studs and the wall (seeing as the
walls are external ones)? Do we have to separate the studs from the
wall with damp proof membrane? Are there other possible methods?

Use wall plates. This a basically a heavy plank bolted to the stone walls.
The floor hangs off this by using joist hangers screwed to it. Use TJI "I"
beams, not solid timber joists as no shrinking, are perfectly straight and
are very light.

---

Christian McArdle

Use TJI "I" beams, not solid timber joists as no shrinking, are
perfectly straight and are very light.

How thick would a TJI "I" beam joist be to span exactly 4m with a standard
domestic loading?

Christian.

IMM

"Steve" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
Use TJI "I" beams, not solid timber joists as no shrinking, are
perfectly straight and are very light.

How thick would a TJI "I" beam joist be to span exactly 4m with a

standard
domestic loading?

I have my doubts that a TJI joist can
be loaded by point loads mid-web.

No one mentioned supporting mid-web.

---

BigWallop

"g" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

We are trying to figure out how to support an upper-level floor
without having to dig into the solid stone walls of the house. One
suggestion we have is putting up something similar to a stud partition
against the wall (then the floor joists can rest on the headers of
these "partitions"). But this leaves some questions over the details
of such an approach. Do the studs have to be fixed to the wall itself
as well (and what would be the best way to fix to stone walls)? Does
one usually leave a gap between the studs and the wall (seeing as the
walls are external ones)? Do we have to separate the studs from the
wall with damp proof membrane? Are there other possible methods?

Any tips will be appreciated!

Gina

This may be of some help:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects...ring_walls.htm