Default Can this air compressor be repaired?

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

Leon

wrote in message
oups.com...
As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

It is probably starting to rust out at the bottom. The weakest point just
gave way and if you repair that spot it is highly likely that the next
weakest spot will show up shortly.

DJ Delorie

My neighbor, who sells industrial air compressors for a living, has a
rule: Never repair tanks. Any tank in need of repair is too dangerous
to keep around.
Dave Hinz

On 19 Jan 2005 13:38:55 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

My neighbor, who sells industrial air compressors for a living, has a
rule: Never repair tanks. Any tank in need of repair is too dangerous
to keep around.

I agree, but feel compelled to note that asking a salesman if you should
buy something new, is like asking your barber if you need a haircut.

Pressure tanks should _never_ be repaired. Even low pressure tanks like
a compressor uses - there is way too much energy stored in there to risk
anything with it.
John

Replace the tank if the rest is working OK

John

On 19 Jan 2005 06:26:03 -0800, "
wrote:

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

Phisherman

On 19 Jan 2005 06:26:03 -0800, "
wrote:

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

The tank is most likely rusted out. If it's more than 10-15 years
old, time to replace it. If you'd rather attempt a repair, sand/clean
the hole area down to the metal (about the size of a quarter) and mix
up a small batch of the epoxy JB Weld. I've been waiting for the day
that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not
to be used past 2007.
patrick conroy

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I agree, but feel compelled to note that asking a salesman if you should
buy something new, is like asking your barber if you need a haircut.

I also agree but feel compelled to note that often the Pharmaceutical Sales
Rep knows more about the new drugs than the Pharmacist.

Dave Hinz

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 22:48:17 GMT, patrick conroy wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message

I agree, but feel compelled to note that asking a salesman if you should
buy something new, is like asking your barber if you need a haircut.

I also agree but feel compelled to note that often the Pharmaceutical Sales
Rep knows more about the new drugs than the Pharmacist.

....and the EMTs know more about how to remove a motorcycle helmet than
the ER docs. Yup.
Roger Shoaf

wrote in message
oups.com...
As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

Can the tank now!

Your tank holds pressure but the fact that you have a breach is indicative
that the structural integrity of the tank is well beyond it's safety margin.
When an air tank blows it is like a bomb going off, complete with shrapnel.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Sweet Sawdust

Warning!!! this can be hazardous!!!! If you want to do it clean the hole to
new metal NO RUST AT ALL. Hole can be no larger then 1/4 inch maximum.
Force the J B weld into the hole, more inside then outside and a goodly
amount outside. Allow J B weld to dry for at least 24 hours. I have a
serous of five holes along a seam in a tank that I repaired this way and
they have held for 3 years now. I use the compressor and then allow it to
drain of air. I have another compressor that I use full time. I don't
think I would use the repaired tank full time with this type of repair
though, it is at best a stop gap until you can find a new tank. Air tanks
can do a lot of damage when they give way.
"Phisherman" wrote in message
On 19 Jan 2005 06:26:03 -0800, "
wrote:

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

The tank is most likely rusted out. If it's more than 10-15 years
old, time to replace it. If you'd rather attempt a repair, sand/clean
the hole area down to the metal (about the size of a quarter) and mix
up a small batch of the epoxy JB Weld. I've been waiting for the day
that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not
to be used past 2007.

Brian Elfert

Phisherman writes:

that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not

What is so hard about opening the little vale on the bottom of the tank?

They also make automatic drains if you want to spend a few bucks.

Brian Elfert
Phisherman

On 24 Jan 2005 15:23:13 GMT, Brian Elfert wrote:

Phisherman writes:

that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not

What is so hard about opening the little vale on the bottom of the tank?

They also make automatic drains if you want to spend a few bucks.

Brian Elfert

Not hard, but easy to forget sometimes. I am not sure if I'm done
with air at any given time, and there are many days I don't even use
the compressor. Where can I get an automatic drain?

Phisherman writes:

that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not

What is so hard about opening the little vale on the bottom of the tank?

They also make automatic drains if you want to spend a few bucks.

Brian Elfert

Not hard, but easy to forget sometimes. I am not sure if I'm done
with air at any given time, and there are many days I don't even use
the compressor. Where can I get an automatic drain?

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46960
TBone

You really shouldn't offer this kind of advice. Just because you claim that
it is hazardous does not make you any less libel if someone follows it and
gets hurt. That tank is dangerous and should be discarded and the same goes
for the one you repaired.

wrote:

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

The tank is most likely rusted out. If it's more than 10-15 years
old, time to replace it. If you'd rather attempt a repair, sand/clean
the hole area down to the metal (about the size of a quarter) and mix
up a small batch of the epoxy JB Weld. I've been waiting for the day
that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not
to be used past 2007.

Mike Marlow

"TBone" wrote in message
. com...
You really shouldn't offer this kind of advice. Just because you claim

that
it is hazardous does not make you any less libel if someone follows it and
gets hurt. That tank is dangerous and should be discarded and the same

goes
for the one you repaired.

I agree that the suggested repair is ill advised but I have to question the
liability of the poster. This comes up quite a bit in these forums but have
you ever heard of an individual being held liable for posting something in a
newsgroup? Or for giving any bad advise?

BTW, every time I see it, I love your sig line more and more.

wrote:

As I was firing up my very old air compressor the other day I hear a
little pop and the hissssssss of escaping air. Turns out a pin sized
hole popped open in the bottom of the tank. Is there a way to repair
this kind of damage or is it shot?

The tank is most likely rusted out. If it's more than 10-15 years
old, time to replace it. If you'd rather attempt a repair, sand/clean
the hole area down to the metal (about the size of a quarter) and mix
up a small batch of the epoxy JB Weld. I've been waiting for the day
that air compressors have an easy and efficient way to remove moisture
and prevent rusting. My portable 5-gallon tank is date stamped not
to be used past 2007.

TBone

"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"TBone" wrote in message
. com...
You really shouldn't offer this kind of advice. Just because you claim

that
it is hazardous does not make you any less libel if someone follows it

and
gets hurt. That tank is dangerous and should be discarded and the same

goes
for the one you repaired.

I agree that the suggested repair is ill advised but I have to question

the
liability of the poster. This comes up quite a bit in these forums but

have
you ever heard of an individual being held liable for posting something in

newsgroup? Or for giving any bad advise?

I guess that it depends on the people involved but I have seen people sue
for less an sometimes win.

BTW, every time I see it, I love your sig line more and more.

LOL, thanks.