Timmah

Default Repaired 5A fuse on lighting circuit keeps blowing?

Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house
panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an
electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent
electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah
donald girod

You have a short or overload somewhere. If you haven't done so, unplug
everything from all the outlets, turn off all the lights and other switches,
and then put another new fuse in. If it doesn't blow, then one of the
things you had plugged in or turned on is the culprit. If it does blow, you
have a more serious problem and need that electrician.

You can plug things in one at a time looking for the problem, but before you
do, examine cords and look at the device carefully for indications of a
fault.

"Timmah" wrote in message
om...
Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house
panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an
electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent
electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah

Bill

Option 1: Buy a book on electrical wiring, learn how to fix these problems
yourself, risk electrocution and possibly burning down your house if you
don't follow advice/directions and don't do work properly.

Option 2: Ask an electrician to look at your wiring and give you an
estimate. Maybe your circuit is overloaded and a new circuit needs to be
added. Could be in the $100 to $200 range. Maybe you need a lot of work
done and a little could be done every 6 months or so. Then you could budget
for the work needed and spread the cost out over a few years. Discuss your
money situation with the electrician and maybe he could work within your
budget? Never hurts to ask...

Gary Tait

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 07:58:47 -0400, "donald girod"
wrote:

You have a short or overload somewhere. If you haven't done so, unplug
everything from all the outlets, turn off all the lights and other switches,
and then put another new fuse in. If it doesn't blow, then one of the
things you had plugged in or turned on is the culprit. If it does blow, you
have a more serious problem and need that electrician.

You can plug things in one at a time looking for the problem, but before you
do, examine cords and look at the device carefully for indications of a
fault.

It seem so be a UK home, fixed lighting circuits are separate from
outlets. Check that all the light buls are correctly inserted

"Timmah" wrote in message
. com...
Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house
panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an
electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent
electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah

Charlie Bress

Why is it only a 5 amp fuse? Are you sure that is the right size. If you are
in USA, the usual fuse size for a lighting circuit is 15 amps.

And do you really mean repaired or replaced?

Charlie

"Timmah" wrote in message
om...
Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house
panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an
electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent
electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah

TURTLE

"Timmah" wrote in message
om...
Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house
panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an
electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent
electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah

This is Turtle.

I'm not a residentiual electrician but a commercial Electrician and you have
a 5 amp fuse for a complete floor of electric circuits. If you plug in a
hair drier, It will blow the fuse. If you turn on a TV , 2 lites, and a
clock, it will blow the fuse. If you plug in a vaccum cleaner, you will blow
the fuse. If you turn on two ceiling fans and lites, you will blow the fuse.
You can turn on 3 lites and don't Fort or make any noise, You maybe keep
from blowing the fuse.

You do need a electrician to see why you only have a 5 amp fuse in a circuit
that requires much more power than your allowing with the 5 amp fuse. There
is something very wrong here by having the 5 amp fuse in this application.

I use a 5 amp fuse for the 24 volt circuit of computorized hvac systems and
would never think about useing a 5 amp fuse for any electric service at all
in a home.

Timmah, You got something wrong or backwards here.

TURTLE

Gary Tait

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:07:15 -0400, "Charlie Bress"
wrote:

Why is it only a 5 amp fuse? Are you sure that is the right size. If you are
in USA, the usual fuse size for a lighting circuit is 15 amps.

And do you really mean repaired or replaced?

It's in the UK. In certain older fusboxes, you actually replaced the
fise link itself, rather than the whole fuse.

Charlie

"Timmah" wrote in message
. com...
Hi -

I repaired a fuse - 2nd one labelled "lighting circuits" in my house
panel, as all the lights on the lower floor were out.

Repaired it 2 times, and it blew straight away.

All the advice I can find so far leads to me towards calling an
electrician at this point - but they cost so damn much!

Wondering if anyone had any suggestions that won't lead to violent
electrocution...

Any help much appreciated.

Timmah

Gary Tait

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:26:24 -0500, "TURTLE"
wrote:

"Timmah" wrote in message
[...]

It's in the UK, where it is code to us a 5A fused circuit for the
fixed lighting circuits, the outlet circuits are always separate.