John Moorhead

Default Starrett stick-em tape query

Folks -

One of the earlier threads in reponse to a 1023 review mentioned an LS
Starrett fence tape. I have searched their site and used every key work I
can thimk of.... nuttin'! Got a part number or description? I have checked
my tapes and indexes and there's enough of a variance between everything
that it needs attention. I was thinking of standardizing with the stick on
tapes and a 12' tape, all from Starrett, as time goes by... Also, does
anyone, besides A - sell online? Plenty of Starrett on Amazon, but no
sticky tapes...

On a related topic, I purchased a 24" steel straightedge from LV. I don't
really want to hang it to store it, I'd rather have it in a drawer - should
I store it flat or on edge?

TIA,

John

Brian in Vancouver, BC

"John Moorhead" wrote in
m:

Folks -

On a related topic, I purchased a 24" steel straightedge from LV. I
don't really want to hang it to store it, I'd rather have it in a
drawer - should I store it flat or on edge?

TIA,

John

Just got mine also, though I got the cheaper aluminum model. I was
concerned that the steel one would rust in my garage workshop so it was
an easy choice.

I assume I can hang it from the hole it was provided with and am doing
so. If it were put in a drawer I would be concerned that something in
the drawer would have a fight with it and it might lose.

Brian
J. Clarke

John Moorhead wrote:

Folks -

One of the earlier threads in reponse to a 1023 review mentioned an LS
Starrett fence tape. I have searched their site and used every key work I
can thimk of.... nuttin'! Got a part number or description? I have
checked my tapes and indexes and there's enough of a variance between
everything
that it needs attention. I was thinking of standardizing with the stick
on
tapes and a 12' tape, all from Starrett, as time goes by... Also, does
anyone, besides A - sell online? Plenty of Starrett on Amazon, but no
sticky tapes...

"Measure Stix". On the Starrett site look under "Construction
Tools/Measuring Tapes".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Ribbidy

John Moorhead wrote:
Snip
One of the earlier threads in reponse to a 1023 review mentioned an LS
Starrett fence tape. I have searched their site and used every key work I
can thimk of.... nuttin'! Got a part number or description? I have checked
my tapes and indexes and there's enough of a variance between everything
that it needs attention. I was thinking of standardizing with the stick on
tapes and a 12' tape, all from Starrett, as time goes by... Also, does
anyone, besides A - sell online? Plenty of Starrett on Amazon, but no
sticky tapes...

Snip

John,
Try this supplier, they seem to have a wide range of adhesive tapes and
the prices are good. http://www.oregonruleco.com/
Rob

Should be able to get it thru woodcraft:
http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=432

LRod

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 04:56:36 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

On a related topic, I purchased a 24" steel straightedge from LV. I don't
really want to hang it to store it, I'd rather have it in a drawer - should
I store it flat or on edge?

Store it on edge. That ensures that there is a balance of ambient air
striking both major surfaces, thus keeping the molecules of the
material in equilibrium.

Also be sure to take a green magic marker and run it along all the
edges so none of the precision interior molecules can escape and ruin
the calibration of the instrument.

Also, be very gentle when opening and closing the drawer you store it
in. Once you have it on edge it's extremely susceptible to lateral
forces and may fall over on to the flat. You want to avoid that at all
costs.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Steve Dunbar

The Starrett adhesive measuring tapes are available online from Enco
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMK3?PMK0NO=374006 in 4, 6, or 12 ft.
lengths.

Oregon Rule Co., which another poster recommended, has longer tapes. A
former employer of mine got a 30 ft. tape from them.

--
-- Steve
John Moorhead

LRod -

Thank you SO much for your helpful information - however, you have failed to
inform me of what to do about oxygen molecules and radical free ions.

Your humble knave,

John

wrote:

[...]

LRod

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 17:07:31 GMT, "John Moorhead"
wrote:

LRod -

Thank you SO much for your helpful information - however, you have failed to
inform me of what to do about oxygen molecules and radical free ions.

Your humble knave,

I'm sure there must be some special free ion spray available at the
same places that sell the green magic marker.

NB: that is not ion spray at no charge, it is spray that you pay for
that addresses free ions. And who addresses free ions? I suppose it
depends on how radical they are.

I can't keep this up. My head hurts.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

It goes without saying that it should be stored in a solution of de-ionized
camelia oil and carnuba wax.
Storing on the side is the WORST thing to do though. Store it vertical so
that the earth's magnetic flux passes through it in the thin direction.
Jeez, some people.

-j

wrote:

[...]

Mark Jerde

J wrote:

Storing on the side is the WORST thing to do though. Store it
vertical so that the earth's magnetic flux passes through it in the
thin direction. Jeez, some people.

Wow! I suppose then that hanging it on pegboard is the absolute worst.

-- Mark

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 23:23:12 +1000, Ribbidy
calmly ranted:

John Moorhead wrote:
Snip
One of the earlier threads in reponse to a 1023 review mentioned an LS
Starrett fence tape. I have searched their site and used every key work I
can thimk of.... nuttin'! Got a part number or description? I have checked
my tapes and indexes and there's enough of a variance between everything
that it needs attention. I was thinking of standardizing with the stick on
tapes and a 12' tape, all from Starrett, as time goes by... Also, does
anyone, besides A - sell online? Plenty of Starrett on Amazon, but no
sticky tapes...

Snip

John,
Try this supplier, they seem to have a wide range of adhesive tapes and
the prices are good. http://www.oregonruleco.com/

Yeah, looks like another good source, like Lee Valley.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Stinky

But what is the postage to that address?

Stinky

wrote:

LRod -

Thank you SO much for your helpful information - however, you have failed to
inform me of what to do about oxygen molecules and radical free ions.

Your humble knave,

I'm sure there must be some special free ion spray available at the
same places that sell the green magic marker.

NB: that is not ion spray at no charge, it is spray that you pay for
that addresses free ions. And who addresses free ions? I suppose it
depends on how radical they are.

I can't keep this up. My head hurts.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

John Carlson

Contact the Department of Homeland Security. I'm pretty sure the
Patriot Act allows radical free ions to be incarcerated indefinitely,
without charge.

wrote:

LRod -

Thank you SO much for your helpful information - however, you have failed to
inform me of what to do about oxygen molecules and radical free ions.

Your humble knave,

John

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
George E. Cawthon

NO. NO. It's not radical free ions, it's free radicals, and
they couldn't be incarcerated without charge because if
there were no charge they wouldn't be free radicals.
Anyway, even Homeland Security knows the proper response
isn't incarceration but application of Vitamin C.