loutent

Default Grizzly 1023 SL/Fox Shop Fence: Wow!

Ok, I might sound pretty naive here. Just got my Grizzly 1023SL
today (actually SWMBO & I just lift gated it into our garage, which
is where it sits for now.)

I have only had a chance to look at the Shop Fox fence
which was shipped in a separate box.

All I can say is WOW! This damn thing is so much beefier (?) than
what I have had (a 15+ year old contractor style import) that it
is hard to believe. I picked up just the back rail and I think that
alone weighs more that my old fence system total.

Ok, I'm a little giddy. Thanks to those steering me
to the 1023 SL (at least so far).

More to follow.

Lou

BTW: Ordered it on the 31st to beat the price
increase - that was last Friday (New Years Eve).
Once I gave them the "OK", Grizzly
had it shipped & in the local terminal in about 36 hours.
I had to pick it up because the truck could not get
close enough to our garage. All of our friends & relatives
have bad backs and/or bypass scars.
Ron Truitt

I just got mine set up about 2 weeks ago and was very impressed by the
sturdiness of all of it. My old Crapsman looks like a toy now. And the
Griz motor is a real bear. I have buzzed through a few cuts and it is
great. My only trouble was lining up the splitter. I am still
struggling with that part but take it off if it gives me problems.

Have fun!

RonT

Cubby

I was able to pick mine up last night from the freight company. Got
it home, unloaded it off my trailer and got it onto a mobile base (all
by myself I might add...surprisingly easy). Unfortunately, I'm
working all day today so won't be able to touch it for awhile but hope
to have it up and running sometime this weekend. I still need to put
a sub panel in to power it but that's not a big deal.

I too am impressed with what I've seen so far and can't wait to fire it
up. Only potential issue I have at the moment is on one of the
extension wings. Appears they didn't cover it up real well with the
cosmoline and there's rust. I'm hoping when I wash the grease off,
the rust is just a superficial thing.

Cheers,
cc

loutent

Hi Cubby,

The cosmoline looks sort of rust colored, so
when you scrape and then wash (I used
mineral spirits), it should look nice
and shiney.

I still haven't fired mine up - worked on setting
the fence up today.

Lou

In article . com,
Cubby wrote:

I was able to pick mine up last night from the freight company. Got
it home, unloaded it off my trailer and got it onto a mobile base (all
by myself I might add...surprisingly easy). Unfortunately, I'm
working all day today so won't be able to touch it for awhile but hope
to have it up and running sometime this weekend. I still need to put
a sub panel in to power it but that's not a big deal.

I too am impressed with what I've seen so far and can't wait to fire it
up. Only potential issue I have at the moment is on one of the
extension wings. Appears they didn't cover it up real well with the
cosmoline and there's rust. I'm hoping when I wash the grease off,
the rust is just a superficial thing.

Cheers,
cc

Cubby

loutent wrote:
Hi Cubby,

The cosmoline looks sort of rust colored, so
when you scrape and then wash (I used
mineral spirits), it should look nice
and shiney.

I still haven't fired mine up - worked on setting
the fence up today.

Lou

Hiya Lou,
This is definitely not cosmoline. The plastic they put down over the
cosmo was pushed all the way back and it really does look like part of
the wing never got the grease. I'm gonna clean it up tonight so who
know's maybe it's just fine. I'm not too awfully worried as I'm
confident in Grizzly's service.

I'm debating on the fence. I have a virtually brand new Vega wiht
micro adjust and everything that I think I'm gonna put on it. I'm
hoping to get a little $$ for the shop fox fence to offset the cost of
the saw!

Cheers,
cc

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Well unfortunately, the spots I was worried about were in fact rust. It's
just cosmetic but never the less,
I figure for $1000 I should have a pretty close to pristine machine so I'll
be contacting Grizzly on Monday
to see about a replacement. This kind of puts my assembly on hold for a
bit unfortunately

Otherwise, it appears to all be going together as described. Good luck
with the rest of your set up Lou.
Cheers,
cc

"Cubby" wrote in message
oups.com...

loutent wrote:
[...]

D. J. Dorn

To each his own - for myself, if the spot were minor, I'd fix it and live
with it. I figure if I'm buying a car, I want the exterior to be as close
to flawless as possible. If it's a power tool, I'm not as picky about a
little dent or a small spot of rust that I can remove.

Don

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Well unfortunately, the spots I was worried about were in fact rust.
It's just cosmetic but never the less,
I figure for $1000 I should have a pretty close to pristine machine so
I'll be contacting Grizzly on Monday
to see about a replacement. This kind of puts my assembly on hold for a
bit unfortunately

Otherwise, it appears to all be going together as described. Good luck
with the rest of your set up Lou.
Cheers,
cc

"Cubby" wrote in message
oups.com...

loutent wrote:
[...]

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

Just out of curiosity, how would you fix it? Where the rust is, it is
pitted ever so slightly which means
I'd probably have to polish it out which would make a divot in the wing. I
realize we're talking semantics
as a couple of thousandths isn't gonna matter but just curious if there's
another way.
Cheers,
cc

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
To each his own - for myself, if the spot were minor, I'd fix it and live
with it. I figure if I'm buying a car, I want the exterior to be as close
to flawless as possible. If it's a power tool, I'm not as picky about a
little dent or a small spot of rust that I can remove.

Don

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Well unfortunately, the spots I was worried about were in fact rust. It's
just cosmetic but never the less,
I figure for $1000 I should have a pretty close to pristine machine so
I'll be contacting Grizzly on Monday
to see about a replacement. This kind of puts my assembly on hold for a
bit unfortunately

Otherwise, it appears to all be going together as described. Good luck
with the rest of your set up Lou.
Cheers,
cc

"Cubby" wrote in message
oups.com...

loutent wrote:
[...]

D. J. Dorn

Possibly I didn't understand the orignal post. Slight surface rust and rust
to the point that it caused pitting a couple of thousands deep are two
different things. I noticed that the pad on the bottom of the fence leaves
a mark on the surface too, but it's all part of how it operates. Chances
are, I personally wouldn't get a replacement but I'm not nearly as picky as
many of my friends. I'm not quesiting your decision but I am saying that
buying a power tool should carry diffeerent expectations than buying a
Porche. It's $1000 by the time shipping is done and if you're not happy
with it now, you probably will always think about it - do what you have to
do to like the saw.

Don

news

"D. J. Dorn" wrote in message
To each his own - for myself, if the spot were minor, I'd fix it and live
with it. I figure if I'm buying a car, I want the exterior to be as
close to flawless as possible. If it's a power tool, I'm not as picky
about a little dent or a small spot of rust that I can remove.

Don

"James "Cubby" Culbertson" wrote in message
Well unfortunately, the spots I was worried about were in fact rust.
It's just cosmetic but never the less,
I figure for $1000 I should have a pretty close to pristine machine so
I'll be contacting Grizzly on Monday
to see about a replacement. This kind of puts my assembly on hold for
a bit unfortunately

Otherwise, it appears to all be going together as described. Good luck
with the rest of your set up Lou.
Cheers,
cc

"Cubby" wrote in message
oups.com...

loutent wrote:
[...]

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I'm not installing the fence that came with the saw. I'm moving my long
railed Vega fence over to
it. Haven't even opened the fence box yet!
Cheers,
cc

"tonytn1158" wrote in message
Hi, I have the 1023s with the short rails. Do you by chance have the
long
rails?

Tony
"Cubby" wrote in message
oups.com...

loutent wrote:
[...]

Dave Mundt

Greetings and Salutations...

On Sun, 9 Jan 2005 17:18:35 -0700, "James \"Cubby\" Culbertson"
wrote:

Just out of curiosity, how would you fix it? Where the rust is, it is
pitted ever so slightly which means
I'd probably have to polish it out which would make a divot in the wing. I
realize we're talking semantics
as a couple of thousandths isn't gonna matter but just curious if there's
another way.
Cheers,
cc

Just my $0.02 worth here...if all that there is are a few
small pits, I would hit it with a bit of navel jelly, to zap
the rust, clean things off the surface and coat it good with
topcote, then, move on to build stuff. It is only a cosmetic defect,
as a few pits are not going to keep the wood from sliding flat on
the surface. I would not, under any circumstances, buff out
the area, as that would cause a small problem to become a BIG
problem.
On the other hand, if it is going to be a defect that
will glare out at you and distract you from cutting stuff...and
you are willing to spend the time to swap out the table or saw
with Grizzly, then, there is no reason that you can't give
it a whirl.
As long as the majority of the surface is flat and
smooth, the saw will cut just fine and very accurately.
Regards
Dave Mundt

James \Cubby\ Culbertson

I was thinking the Naval Jelly route too. At least that would prevent the
rust from
spreading. Called Grizzly today regarding a drill I bought that had some
problems.
I mentioned to the guy that one of the wings had some cosmetic pitting and
asked his
opinion. He insisted he send a new one. I explained it was merely
cosmetic and would
in no way affect the performance of the saw yet he insisted on sending a new
one.
I have to say, they have great customer service! So now what am I gonna do
with
an extra table saw wing (they don't want the original back)? Might make a
fancy scary
sharp station....hmmm.
Cheers,
cc

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Eric Anderson

If you were close by (Ann Arbor, MI), I might be interested in it. My
Unisaw came with only a left wing (it has an extension table. It is not a
serious ommission (was a cost savings), but it would have made the extension
table long enough to cover the full travel of my fence.

[...]

.. .

Fence boundary question. Dave UK diy 13 November 25th 04 04:48 PM
stain backside of cedar fence trim? blue Home Repair 9 October 3rd 04 01:21 PM
Fence responsibilty? [email protected] Home Repair 35 December 27th 03 11:55 PM
Aligning a Vega utility 50 fence Alan W Woodworking 6 September 5th 03 05:21 PM