Silvan

Default was gonna buy it but shipping was just outrageous...

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Paul Franklin

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:05:44 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

Wonder how long it will be before Norm has one in his shop... :-)

Cherokee-Ltd

"Silvan" wrote in message
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

I sent mine back... It kept crushing my ShopFox mobile base.

-Brian

Old Nick

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 04:05:44 -0500, Silvan
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

If you can buy that, shipped for $750, what are we wating for? G

"Ship anywhere within 48 states for $753.00!"

Doug Miller

In article , Silvan wrote:
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

For that kind of money, I think I'd get a Wood-Mizer instead. It's portable,
too...

--
Regards,

Scott

Is there a bench-top version? I just don't have any more floor space
in my shop.

Paul Kierstead

Silvan wrote:
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

Well, ya got a cheap car is all. Pretty cool! I like the return
conveyor; very nice touch. Shipping is a pretty good deal considering
and all.

PK
Paul Kierstead

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Silvan wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

For that kind of money, I think I'd get a Wood-Mizer instead. It's portable,
too...

I would expect that you could do about 5 ops with that one before you
finish one with the wood mizer. OTOH, I think the wood-mizer is gonna
handle still-in-the-bark quite a bit better; this looks more like a
machine that really is more for re-sawing, not for rough milling of
logs. Of course, I could be on crack.

Paul in MN wrote:
I gave this one a close look too, but there was no dust collector

port. A
definite "show stopper" for me.

Yeah there is, it's 4".

Get your checkbook out.

Mike in Mystic

I saw this in the latest Grizzly tome that arrived yesterday. I was kinda
chuckling when I read that the president of Grizzly used THIS VERY MACHINE
to cut curly Koa into thin 0.200" slices. It IS impressive that the
machine can do that consistently and all, but the line that made me laugh
was "and he even got 3 more slices than he would have with a regular
bandsaw" hehe.

I think I'll stick to tools that don't require a crane to get them off the
truck.

Mike

Bill Waller

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 13:02:48 GMT, "Mike in Mystic"
wrote:

I saw this in the latest Grizzly tome that arrived yesterday. I was kinda
chuckling when I read that the president of Grizzly used THIS VERY MACHINE
to cut curly Koa into thin 0.200" slices. It IS impressive that the
machine can do that consistently and all, but the line that made me laugh
was "and he even got 3 more slices than he would have with a regular
bandsaw" hehe.

I think I'll stick to tools that don't require a crane to get them off the
truck.

Mike

I had to return the one I ordered. I paid for inside delivery, but the truck
driver couldn't get the crates down the basement stairs. :-(

Bill Waller
New Eagle, PA

Robatoy

In article ,
Silvan wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Would I use a 12ga or a 14ga extension cord for that?
TWS

wrote:

I saw this in the latest Grizzly tome that arrived yesterday. I was kinda
chuckling when I read that the president of Grizzly used THIS VERY MACHINE
to cut curly Koa into thin 0.200" slices. It IS impressive that the
machine can do that consistently and all, but the line that made me laugh
was "and he even got 3 more slices than he would have with a regular
bandsaw" hehe.

Mike,
I was thinking the same thing. While I think it's great that the
president of Grizzly does woodworking I'm thinking they are getting a
little carried away promoting this one sided view of the world. Not
that I have anything against Guitar makers (although they do tend to
slice up some pretty nice pieces of wood into something I wouldn't be
able to use) but the overwhelming dominance of guitar making
references in the latest Grizzly catalog is making me wonder if they
aren't becoming a bit too myopic and it will hinder the rest of their
product line.

TWS
RampRat

FS:
1: 2 arms in fair condition (one hand missing 2 fingers)
2: 2 legs also in fair condition
3: 1 SWMBO Best Offer
4: 1 Car
5: 1 House

Do you need your wood resawn? Come by
Wood must be delivered(see #4 above)
Wood must be picked up(see #4 above)
Must bring electricity(see #5 above)
Must be trained on Grizzly Model G0504 Resaw Bandsaw (see #1&2 above)
Special discounts for thoes that can cook!

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:50:50 -0500, Paul Kierstead
wrote:

I would expect that you could do about 5 ops with that one before you
finish one with the wood mizer.

I use a Wood-mizer a fair bit. I've always been pleased by how useful
it was as a "workshop" resaw, not just out in the woods.

If the Wood-mizer is already set up on site, you could do one re-saw
in around the same time as a handful of operations with the Grizzly.
But this isn't important, because the "overhead" time still dominates
the "per-board" time. Only if you start getting to over a dozen
repeats would I start to see the Grizzly's admitted efficiency being
significant.

The Wood-mizer is also a moving saw on a stationary bed. For lots of
work on rough boards, or for quartering turning logs, this is faster
to set up than a fixed saw with a transport. For timber framing work
where the timbers are simply too big for a carriage (megabudgets
apart), then the moving saw is your only option.
--
Smert' spamionam
mac davis

wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

I think I could find a bandsaw for my garage that would cost less than
the shipping on that one!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
mac davis

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 07:48:05 -0500, Paul Kierstead
wrote:

Silvan wrote:
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

Well, ya got a cheap car is all. Pretty cool! I like the return
conveyor; very nice touch. Shipping is a pretty good deal considering
and all.

PK

hell, I've bought cars that were less than the $220 blade for that
monster..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
DJ Delorie

TWS writes:
I was thinking the same thing. While I think it's great that the
president of Grizzly does woodworking I'm thinking they are getting a
little carried away promoting this one sided view of the world.

And for those of you who want heavy metal guitars...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G5962
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0559

You'll probably need one of these too:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0567
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:51:26 GMT, TWS calmly ranted:

wrote:

[...]

That line is probably quite lucrative and fairly specialized. I'll
bet they do a really brisk business in it.

They also put out a Luthier's Catalog. On the current cover is a true
monstrosity. Absolutely gorgeous quilted maple painted over with a
fake cob web and some spiders.

I should be getting a regular catalog shortly if you already have
yours. It takes longer to get them in West BFE.

--
Remember: Every silver lining has a cloud.
----

Warren Weber

"Silvan" wrote in message
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further
away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200
stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Great machine. I bought one. Saved on shipping by picking it up with my F100
pickup. However it took my neighbor and I to unload it. Sent it back because
I got too tired sliding it around in my small shop. W W

Slowhand

"Silvan" wrote in message
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

Crud. It doesn't come in 1 phase. Oh, and shipping is really expensive.
SH - The "good reason not to buy" woodworker

Slowhand

"Cherokee-Ltd" wrote in message

"Silvan" wrote in message
Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

I sent mine back... It kept crushing my ShopFox mobile base.

LOL!
SH

TWS

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 09:34:52 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

snip
They also put out a Luthier's Catalog. On the current cover is a true
monstrosity. Absolutely gorgeous quilted maple painted over with a
fake cob web and some spiders.

I should be getting a regular catalog shortly if you already have
yours. It takes longer to get them in West BFE.

The new full catalog has the same monstrosity. As you can imagine,
*someone* at Grizzly is quite proud of that piece.

TWS
Joe Gorman

Paul Kierstead wrote:
Silvan wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

Well, ya got a cheap car is all. Pretty cool! I like the return
conveyor; very nice touch. Shipping is a pretty good deal considering
and all.

PK

Yea, but the extra help to get the 3600 lbs from the truck deck
the the shop might cost as much again. Then there's the problem
of clearing a space big enough to set the box, let alone assemble
the pieces to make it work. And my home made trusses aren't
strong enough to lift it out of the way to cut a full sheet on the
tablesaw. Not that I have that kind of room now:-)
Joe

Renowood

The swmbo said I could get one if it will slice and toast the bagels.
Renowood

GregP

wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

Honda started out with 50 cc motorbikes.

Paul Kierstead

Andy Dingley wrote:
If the Wood-mizer is already set up on site, you could do one re-saw
in around the same time as a handful of operations with the Grizzly.
But this isn't important, because the "overhead" time still dominates
the "per-board" time. Only if you start getting to over a dozen
repeats would I start to see the Grizzly's admitted efficiency being
significant.

Good point. Seems to be true of a lot of woodworking machines; often, if
you are making one-offs, seems a lot more time is spend adjusting,
setting up and making test cuts with the big machines. One of the things
driving me to be a hybrid neander.

Old Nick

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 18:38:47 +0800, Old Nick
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

If you can buy that, shipped for $750, what are we wating for? G

"Ship anywhere within 48 states for $753.00!"

Oh....that _is_ the shipping......
Unisaw A100

Save your money and buy a Baker.

UA100
John Carlson

I was looking at that myself but SWMBO just wouldn't agree to help me
carry it down the basement stairs. (I even offered to let her take
the light end, but no go. Sheesh.)

wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

-- jc
Published e-mail address is strictly for spam collection.
If e-mailing me, please use jc631 at optonline dot net
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

Finally, a machine that costs more than my car.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

What do you do with one of these things anyway? Think I could use it to
save some money by buying 4/4 and sawing it in half?

Looking at it, I'd guess one could use it to re-saw 8' x 12' shop
buildings.

Flipping around at the Grizz, it looks like the trend of moving further away
from the home market has continued. Lots of stuff that's just a notch
higher up the food chain than what I'd be looking for. No more $200 stuff,
now it's all $500+ stuff; and not just because of the price increase.

Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry

mac davis

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:38:02 -0500, John Carlson
wrote:

I was looking at that myself but SWMBO just wouldn't agree to help me
carry it down the basement stairs. (I even offered to let her take
the light end, but no go. Sheesh.)

mine asked what other colors it came in.. *rofl*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Silvan

Robatoy wrote:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0504

Would I use a 12ga or a 14ga extension cord for that?

Um. I'm pretty sure you'd have to have a 10 ga. extension cord.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

TWS wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. While I think it's great that the
president of Grizzly does woodworking I'm thinking they are getting a
little carried away promoting this one sided view of the world. Not

Me three. Especially about the spider thing, and several of his other
guitars too, for that matter. Sure dude, you can make ugly things all
kinds of fancy, but they're still ugly.

I wonder if his shop is bigger than Jay Leno's garage.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Paul Kierstead wrote:

setting up and making test cuts with the big machines. One of the things
driving me to be a hybrid neander.

A hybrid neander. I'm going to steal that, so you'd better go file a
copyright or patent application or something. That's a great way of
putting it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
TWS

On Fri, 07 Jan 2005 19:02:57 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

I wonder if his shop is bigger than Jay Leno's garage.

It would have to be to fit this slicer in it...

When you have access to a tools like this I suspect a lot of the fun
goes out of the woodworking. What do you think?

TWS
Charlie Self

TWS asks:

wrote:

I wonder if his shop is bigger than Jay Leno's garage.

It would have to be to fit this slicer in it...

When you have access to a tools like this I suspect a lot of the fun
goes out of the woodworking. What do you think?

I doubt I'll ever know for sure.

Charlie Self
"One of the common denominators I have found is that expectations rise above
that which is expected." George W. Bush

Shipping and handling at HF... bit excessive. jtpr Woodworking 12 October 16th 04 01:02 AM
why sellers love ebay Todd L Woodworking 31 June 17th 04 05:24 PM
Shipping Question T. Woodworking 24 February 3rd 04 07:46 PM
OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam Jim Stewart Metalworking 11 July 20th 03 12:41 PM