coolron

Default drill press decision

I'm a woodworking newbie and trying to decide on what drill press to get:

1. Fisch DP2000, 12" 6-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 500-3100
2-3/8" quill travel
chuck: 1/2"
comes with a 7pc. Forstner set

2. Delta DP350 12" 5-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 620-3100
quill stroke: 2-3/8"
chuck: 1/2"
chuck to table 14-1/8"

I have two concerns:
1. quality
2. I am not sure if the Fisch can take a mortising attachement. I know
Delta makes a Mortising attachement for its drill presses but I don't know
if that can attach to the Fisch drill press.

Patriarch

"coolron" wrote in
:

I'm a woodworking newbie and trying to decide on what drill press to
get:

snip

I have two concerns:
1. quality
2. I am not sure if the Fisch can take a mortising attachement. I
know Delta makes a Mortising attachement for its drill presses but I
don't know if that can attach to the Fisch drill press.

You might want to hold off on the mortising attachment, until you google
the archives... IMHO, there are other, (usually) better ways to mortise.

I have the 17" Delta drill press, and find it to be a good machine.
Whether that translates to anything in the size/price range you seek is an
open question.

Patriarch
AAvK

I'm a woodworking newbie and trying to decide on what drill press to get:

1. Fisch DP2000, 12" 6-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 500-3100
2-3/8" quill travel
chuck: 1/2"
comes with a 7pc. Forstner set

2. Delta DP350 12" 5-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 620-3100
quill stroke: 2-3/8"
chuck: 1/2"
chuck to table 14-1/8"

I have two concerns:
1. quality
2. I am not sure if the Fisch can take a mortising attachement. I know
Delta makes a Mortising attachement for its drill presses but I don't know
if that can attach to the Fisch drill press.

Consider a Palmgren:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...?v=glance&s=hi
http://www.palmgren.com/palmgren/index.html Sears is buying four of their tools,
two lathes, the small tilting bandsaw and a scroll saw, under the Craftsman name.
I think what matters with a mortising attachment is the width of the quill of the DP,
and http://www.grizzly.com/ makes several sizes.

--
Alex
cravdraa-at-yahoo-dots-comment

Roger Shoaf

I think for a drill press I might look for an oldie but a biggie. What I
mean by that is old American made drill presses are around in the used
market and still do a pretty good job. Even if the table has a hundred
holes punched in it a floor model that has 18+ inches between the chuck and
the column will be more convenient than a 12 incher.

A screwed up table can be covered by adding some laminate coated MDF and a
bum chuck can easily be replaced.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

"coolron" wrote in message
I'm a woodworking newbie and trying to decide on what drill press to get:

1. Fisch DP2000, 12" 6-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 500-3100
2-3/8" quill travel
chuck: 1/2"
comes with a 7pc. Forstner set

2. Delta DP350 12" 5-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 620-3100
quill stroke: 2-3/8"
chuck: 1/2"
chuck to table 14-1/8"

I have two concerns:
1. quality
2. I am not sure if the Fisch can take a mortising attachement. I know
Delta makes a Mortising attachement for its drill presses but I don't know
if that can attach to the Fisch drill press.

Joe

I think for a drill press I might look for an oldie but a biggie.
SNIP

Agreed... As long as you can still get parts for it should it stop
functioning.
--

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.

V8013

My eBay: http://tinyurl.com/4hpnc

Paul Kierstead

coolron wrote:
I'm a woodworking newbie and trying to decide on what drill press to get:

snip of 12" choices

I am not sure what your critera is for selection in terms of space,
price etc. but the drill press is the *only* stationary tool I have
replaced because I was dissatisfied with it, and I replaced a 12" Delta
with a Delta 16 1/2" 17-965. The quality of the little Delta was
acceptable, but maximum stroke was too short, slowest speed was much too
fast, the throat was a little small and there was no quill lock. The
larger DP is much nicer to use. Drill presses are remarkably cheap; all
things considered, you might want to reconsider the small one and go for
something bigger. BTW, it is also indespesible. Of all my tools, the DP
and bandsaw are the ones I couldn't do without (though I admit the TS
and thickness planer rate pretty high).

PK
Dave Jackson

I'd reconsider even bothering with the mortising attachment as well. The
things are a real PITA to set up and use. Plus, IMO they are not nearly as
accurate as a dedicated mortiser. I used the attachment for quite some
time until i bought a dedicated one. The difference in the set up time and
quality of the mortises has improved tenfold. --dave

"Paul Kierstead" wrote in message
coolron wrote:
[...]

patrick conroy

1. quality
2. I am not sure if the Fisch can take a mortising attachement. I know
Delta makes a Mortising attachement for its drill presses but I don't know
if that can attach to the Fisch drill press.

I have the cousin of the DP350 - the 11-990. It's a good starter and I
haven't outgrown it yet. But I share Paul's laments about the quill travel,
the throat depth, the slowest speed. It's on my to-do list to replace, but
down on the list.

I also share Dave's opinions about doing the mortising on one of these.
My neighbor has a larger Delta DP (floor standing) and the mortising
attachments. I don't think I'd enjoy using those attachments at all.

stoutman

I have the DP350. I have been very happy with it. The DP350 is variable
speed not 5-speed. I also have the mortise attachment. Works great. Sure
it takes longer to set up than a dedicated mortiser (most people wine about
this), but I'm not in that big a hurry when im woodworking. I'm not running
a production shop (yet). Time is not a huge concern.

"coolron" wrote in message
I'm a woodworking newbie and trying to decide on what drill press to get:

1. Fisch DP2000, 12" 6-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 500-3100
2-3/8" quill travel
chuck: 1/2"
comes with a 7pc. Forstner set

2. Delta DP350 12" 5-speed
motor: 1/3HP
speed range: 620-3100
quill stroke: 2-3/8"
chuck: 1/2"
chuck to table 14-1/8"

I have two concerns:
1. quality
2. I am not sure if the Fisch can take a mortising attachement. I know
Delta makes a Mortising attachement for its drill presses but I don't know
if that can attach to the Fisch drill press.

Bob G.

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 14:43:13 GMT, "Dave Jackson"
wrote:

I'd reconsider even bothering with the mortising attachment as well. The
things are a real PITA to set up and use. Plus, IMO they are not nearly as
accurate as a dedicated mortiser. I used the attachment for quite some
time until i bought a dedicated one. The difference in the set up time and
quality of the mortises has improved tenfold. --dave

I currently have 3 drill presses in my shop and the one is set up 50
percent of the time just do do mortices... so I have no or very little
set up time.....and the entire set up DP & attachment was much less
expensive then buying a dedicated machine....

I will agree with you however that the dedicated morticer is much
better, easier to use , etc.......just in my case another drill press
was a much better buy because I really do not cut a heck of a lot of
mortices...

Bob Griffiths

coolron

Thank you all for the info!

AAvK

Thank you all for the info!

Might be worth it to buy the Harbour Freight morticer, usually on sale
from time to time for $99.xx
When took a gander at it in the store, I liked how it is made compared to the
basic little Delta that was in my adult ed. class, with all it's stamped thin metal...
but I would buy more expensive chisle-bits than they offer.

Alex