Default Circular Saw Electric Brake

What exactly is an electric brake on a circular saw, and is it worth
the extra $50 - $60 to have one?

Thanks.

-Fleemo

Edwin Pawlowski

"Jim Behning" wrote in message
Blade stops soon after releasing the power trigger. You may be less
likely to hurt yourself as a regular saw may have a spinning blade for
a few seconds.

Wow, I wonder if they could use that technology on a table saw? You could
call it something like Saw Slow. Maybe, Stop the Saw. I think it should
be mandated in fact.

Oh, crap here we go again!

If you are talking US$ I am surprised it's an extra $50-60. The
principles of operation are simple enough AFAIK.

Yes, U.S. dollars. Actually, the price difference on the Milwaukee
models seems to be between $30 and $45 at most retailers. I was able
to move up to the Milwaukee 6394-21 that has an electric brake for a
mere $23 at ToolUp.com. That's a buck a digit plus a few other bodily
odds and ends.

I appreciate the input from everyone. Best regards for a great new
year!

-Fleemo

Old Nick

On 3 Jan 2005 01:16:13 -0800, vaguely proposed a
theory
.......and in reply I say!:

If you are talking US$ I am surprised it's an extra $50-60. The

principles of operation are simple enough AFAIK.

Yes, U.S. dollars. Actually, the price difference on the Milwaukee
models seems to be between $30 and $45 at most retailers. I was able
to move up to the Milwaukee 6394-21 that has an electric brake for a
mere $23 at ToolUp.com. That's a buck a digit plus a few other bodily
odds and ends.

Yep. the saw slips, and you could lose the odd end! G.

I am not denigrating the usefulness of the brake, and for $25 I see it
as a no-brainer. I have always wondered why they did not do this years
ago for saws and _drills_ (where it's really useful to stop like a
cordless sometimes).

But seriously, I do not think that these electric brakes will save
much if you slipped into the blade somehow, or vcvs. Two reasons:

- That blade will go across your leg in less than 1/2 second, and
through your hand in less than that even. The brakes I read of took 2
seconds. Your leg _is_ the "brake" in a real slipup G.

- In most cases where the saw has slipped, jammed etc and cut
somebody, they are probably still firmly clenching their hand on the
switch, with the saw getting full power. I have never had a saw get
away from me, but have had a large power drill do so (well....a
coup...few times ... :- ). It got away because as it grabbed I
clutched the handle and applied _more_ power!

The brake will be convenient, and allow you to put the saw aside more
quickly after each cut. If you stuf up and lay it down on the blade
instead of the guard, it will only travle a few feet! G

Do not think of it as s Saw Stop wiener saver by any means.

Do not think of it as s Saw Stop wiener saver by any means.
LOL!

Thanks for the input, Saint., er, um, Old Nick.

-F