stoutman

Default Planar Snipe(TP300)

I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I
get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be
corrected.

Thanks.

toller

"stoutman" wrote in message
I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

Planner. Planar is entirely different

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane
I get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be
corrected.

I don't know about the Delta, but I lived with snipe on my Makita for a
while, but then I read the instruction book, adjusted the infeed and outfeed
tables, and the snipe went away.

Have you read the instructions?

Dave Balderstone

In article , stoutman
wrote:

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I
get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be
corrected.

Lift the back end of the board slightly as it's starting through the
blades. I have the same planer and get very good results.

Lift the leading edge as it's exiting to avoid snipe at the back end.
Groggy

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:35:36 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Planner. Planar is entirely different

Planer. Planner is entirely different

Planner = someone who plans things

Planar = lying within a plane

Planer = wooddorking instrument that strips flesh from bones (aka
thicknesser)

;-)

Groggy

Don Wheeler

"stoutman" wrote in
:

I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the
plane I get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can
this be corrected.

Thanks.

I recently bought the same planer and I see the same thing, always at the
leading end but never at the trailing end. I think it has something to
feeding technique, because sometimes I get it and sometimes I don't. I've
tried to figure out what I do differently when it doesn't but haven't yet.
Making the last pass very light, about 1/8 crank down, seems to help. I've
read that making a secondary platen with a long flat board helps, but I
haven't tried it yet. If you come up with anything I'd sure like to hear
about it.

By the way, I love the machine. I've wanted a planer for a long time and
Amazon had an offer I couldn't refuse. It may not be pro quality, but it's
good enough for me.

Don
AAvK

Lift the back end of the board slightly as it's starting through the
blades. I have the same planer and get very good results.

Lift the leading edge as it's exiting to avoid snipe at the back end.

In other words, if it can't be corrected by instruction in the booklet...get a refund.

Alex

Ba r r y

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:35:36 GMT, "toller" wrote:

"stoutman" wrote in message
m...
I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

Planner. Planar is entirely different

And a Planer is yet something else. G

Do you prefer PocketPC, Palm OS, or paper?

Barry
David

A low outfeed will cause snipe. Try adjusting your outfeed table to the
proper height. Easiest way I've found is joint a board and then joint
it again but stop it after about 4-6" has passed the blades. Shut off
the motor and check to see if the board is touching the outfeed table.
If you can get a thin (couple of thous or 0.015) feeler gauge under it,
raise the outfeed to remove the gap. It's unlikely you'll find that
your outfeed is currently too high.

David

stoutman wrote:

I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I
get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be
corrected.

Thanks.

Ba r r y

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 20:39:15 -0800, David wrote:

I read the OP post wrong. Thought the snipe was on a jointer!

You were right about a possible cause, though!

Barry
DIYGUY

How long is the snipe? It should only be on one end, usually less than
an inch or so. If I am running into this problem (rarely since I made
a secondary platen) I just trim it off. Usually I allow an extra 3" of
length on my stock for cutting. That leaves me enough to accommodate
any potential snipe and/or cutting problems. Yeah, I know. It should
not happen on a good tool and it is annoying. You can fuss with it or
you can work around it. I made the platen to work around it. Good luck ..

stoutman wrote:
I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

I just set it up and planed a few boards and at the beginning of the plane I
get a 1" or so long snipe. Do I have to live with this or can this be
corrected.

Thanks.

toller

"Ba r r y" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:35:36 GMT, "toller" wrote:

"stoutman" wrote in message
om...
I just got a new Delta 12" planar. (TP300)

Planner. Planar is entirely different

And a Planer is yet something else. G

Do you prefer PocketPC, Palm OS, or paper?

Barry

Geez, you guys got no sence of humour!

Ba r r y

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 17:43:09 GMT, "toller" wrote:

Geez, you guys got no sence of humour!

If I didn't, I wouldn't have asked!

I usually get nailed by my own spell check, which makes for some
interesting postings. G

Barry