Tom Watson

Default New Year's Resolutions

To not cuss so much. (a perennial favorite).
To lose about six thousand pounds, in unneeded machinery and tools.
To fix the hold down on the Delta POS Benchtop Morticer. (4th year on
the list).
To finish the kitchen remodel. (3rd year on the list).
To put a bath on the third floor. (12th year on the list).
To bring in the freezable stuff from the shop to the basement before
it's too late. (Yellow Gluecicles Again This Year - Dammit!).
To not cuss so much. (sigh...).
To rebuild the motor on the snowblower. (3d year on the list).
To plug up all the carpenter bee holes before the shop falls down.
(5th year on the list).
To replace the rotted studs before the shop falls down. (3rd year on
the list).
To drain the air compressor at least weekly. (20th year on the list
-ssssss).
To go through the old finishes and solvents and take to the county
disposal fair. (now at three and a half five gallon cans - and still
growing.
To actually use the barbell set that I bought three years ago. (3rd
year on the list).
To not stand downwind when emptying the dust collector bag into the
trash can. (another perennial favorite).
To throw away the one gallon container of leftover stain concoctions -
because I'll prolly never want a stain of that particular ****ty brown
shade.
To not cuss so much.
To find something that actually prevents rust on the machine tables.
(cf: The Quest For The Grail).
To not killfile any more people - and then peek around anyway to see
what they're up to.
To dust off the shop lights, instead of just buying new ones.
To find someone who can use the new chainsaw blade that's been hanging
on the shop wall for ten years - ever since the chainsaw died.
To not use the good chisels for remodeling work - again.
To not sit cold drinks on the workbench in the summer, so there won't
be so many rings in the wax finish -Keerist!.
To not blaspheme.
To find my good bench brush, or just break down and buy a new one.
(3rd year on the list).
To strip the crappy finish off my wood handled screwdrivers, and
replace with shellac. (the set is twenty some years old - still
haven't gotten around to it).
To do more fishing and less painting and scraping this Spring.
To empty out the five gallon bucket of nuts, bolts, etc. and put stuff
back in the bins.

Well...it looks like another busy year ahead.

Happy New Year.

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1

Slowhand

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
news
To not cuss so much. (a perennial favorite).

snip

Sounds like you have your work cut out for you. Good luck and keep us tuned
in to your progress.

You know, my statement above could be cut and pasted for replying to just
about any statement.

Anywho, Happy New Years!
SH

J.B. Bobbitt

Mine:

1. Enable my own prosperity;
2. Finish the wherry; (http://www.merrywherry.com/merry.html)
3. Spend more time working word and less time reading about working wood;
4. Hit 0.600
5. Keep all my digits intact;

Any more than five and they don't get done. Ask Tom.

I'm wishing a safe, rewarding and prosperous New Year for all you Wreckers.

-jbb

Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered
that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this

over300 C. The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes are due again--enjoy

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

J.B. Bobbitt

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

Hey, that looks tres cool. A canoe rowboat. What do they cost
to build? That might work here on the Rogue River...

Wherry's were traditionally used to ferry people back and forth between
ships at anchor and the docks. These have been adopted for open-water
racing and water trekking. You can check kit prices out on the website. I
got the "Wherry II" kit years ago; I'll vouch for the quality.

Usual disclaimer: no affiliation, satisfied customer.

Tom Watson wrote:
To not cuss so much. (a perennial favorite).

To measure 6 times, and hopefully cut once...

The last was a DVD addon for my entertainment center. It had to be
46.5" outside height... I measured that sucker 3 times... It ended
up being 46.5" INSIDE height... sigh.

Rick

"Silvan" wrote in message
Larry Jaques wrote:

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered
that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this

over300 C. The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes are due again--enjoy

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Waiting to catch my carpool ride (a LONG time ago) outside the beltway, I
found a space pen lying on the ground. It apparently had NOT fallen more
than say 4-5 feet (lack of a crater). Only damage was a bent pocket clip
that I more-or-less straightened out. The pen is heavy aluminum (I think)
and is well machined. I use it occasionally, and it is one of the few pens
I've ever had to NOT dry out after years in the desk drawer (here's the wood
reference!). I haven't looked lately, but I think refills are still
available.

And they said carpooling didn't pay!

Rick

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 10:52:36 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

When NASA first started sending up astronauts, they quickly discovered
that ball-point pens would not work in zero gravity. To combat this

over300 C. The Russians used a pencil. Your taxes are due again--enjoy

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Just let go of logic and laugh for a change, Mr. Literal.
Jokes aren't meant to be filtered through Snopes, dummy.

Congrats on getting SWMBO home alive.

--
Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com
Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites

Tim Douglass

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 17:39:19 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 22:04:54 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
calmly ranted:

2. Finish the wherry; (http://www.merrywherry.com/merry.html)

Hey, that looks tres cool. A canoe rowboat. What do they cost
to build? That might work here on the Rogue River...

Looks cool, the only problem is a 300lb weight capacity. I'd need a
dingy if I wanted to take a lunch with me. Which leads to my one and
only resolution:

1. Get more exercise.

Note that I don't say anything about dieting or losing weight - it is
my hope that exercise will deal with the weight and I already know
that a resolution to diet is a resolution broken. I've never made it
past day 2 on any type of diet. But the doc wants me to lose "at
least" 50 lbs, so I will be walking with a friend 3 days a week and
doing upper body weights (ok, light weights) on the other days. With
bad knees, back ankles, bad back and acid reflux I mostly just want to
feel better.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

J.B. Bobbitt

Check out the "Wherry II". Its the one I'm building, even though I'll use
it as a single instead of a double; capacity is 500 lbs.

Also, rowing is great exercise. It works the big muscles as well as lots of
little ones you don't know you've got. Even good for abs, &tc.

-jbb

wrote:

[...]

mark

Note that I don't say anything about dieting or losing weight - it is
my hope that exercise will deal with the weight and I already know
that a resolution to diet is a resolution broken. I've never made it
past day 2 on any type of diet. But the doc wants me to lose "at
least" 50 lbs, so I will be walking with a friend 3 days a week and
doing upper body weights (ok, light weights) on the other days. With
bad knees, back ankles, bad back and acid reflux I mostly just want to
feel better.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

Check out the body for life plan. It works. You don't have to buy their
stuff, but just use their recipes, and exercise plan...you'll be a new man.

Edwin Pawlowski

My number 1 resolution is to stop procrastinating. I'm going to start in a
couple of weeks.

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 02:15:16 GMT, "J.B. Bobbitt"
wrote:

Check out the "Wherry II". Its the one I'm building, even though I'll use
it as a single instead of a double; capacity is 500 lbs.

Also, rowing is great exercise. It works the big muscles as well as lots of
little ones you don't know you've got. Even good for abs, &tc.

I saw that one. I was even tempted by it until I noticed the price. I
used to row a lot as a kid and even tried to get accepted at a college
that had a crew so that I could row there. Haven't handled a pair of
oars in probably 20+ years.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
jo4hn

1. I am going to stop making resolutions.
2. I am going to stop using the word **** in this newsgroup.
3. I am going to keep all 12 of my talented fingers.
4. As hard as it may be, I will strive to be more humble.
5. I resolve to not buy any more toys unless I really need or want it
and I can afford it or not.

Well now. That's five in just a few minutes and I didn't have to resort
to banning snowshoes in July. :-)

damn, I'm good
jo4hn
Silvan

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Just let go of logic and laugh for a change, Mr. Literal.
Jokes aren't meant to be filtered through Snopes, dummy.

Dummy? DUMMY? I'm not the one who tried to pass off a glaring urban legend
type thing in the guise of a joke Monsieur Jacques.

Congrats on getting SWMBO home alive.

Thanks. It feels pretty good as long as I don't look at what's going on
under her shirt. Yerk.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Tim Douglass wrote:

1. Get more exercise.

Note that I don't say anything about dieting or losing weight - it is
my hope that exercise will deal with the weight and I already know

Good luck. I'm walking my ass off with SWMBO incapacitated, and I'm not
eating much. I've gained 15 pounds.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Ba r r y

On Sat, 01 Jan 2005 15:08:41 -0800, Tim Douglass
wrote:

With
bad knees, back ankles, bad back and acid reflux I mostly just want to
feel better.

I had all the same problems 6 years ago while working a very high
stress, 7x24 IT position. I took up cycling and some upper body free
weights. Stick with you program, and you'll be amazed at how many
ills will be cured drug free. My acid reflux quickly disappeared with
exercise, after little results with drug therapy. It became apparent
to me that many prescription drugs simply mask symptoms, exercise and
weight loss cure the root problem.

I started using the bike for errands around town, so I got exercise
even when I wasn't "exercising". G The same can be said for
walking. 80 pounds later, I feel great!

Good luck, stay with it, and keep us up to date! Some of us exercise
zealots can be worse than ex-smokers, so if you need encouragement,
,email me directly.

Barry

skeezics

I used to row a lot as a kid and even tried to get accepted at a college
that had a crew so that I could row there. Haven't handled a pair of
oars in probably 20+ years.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

TRUST ME!!!!! they dont work the same way as you recall!!! lol....

skeez

Phisherman

Find a new job. I've been unemployed for the entire 2004 year and
I've been looking everyday to get an interview.
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 01:44:01 -0500, Silvan
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp

Just let go of logic and laugh for a change, Mr. Literal.
Jokes aren't meant to be filtered through Snopes, dummy.

Dummy? DUMMY? I'm not the one who tried to pass off a glaring urban legend
type thing in the guise of a joke Monsieur Jacques.

First, there's no "c" in mah name there. And second, if it's so
glaring, why was it so hard to take as a joke?

Congrats on getting SWMBO home alive.

Thanks. It feels pretty good as long as I don't look at what's going on
under her shirt. Yerk.

I saw Dad the morning after his open heart surgery. It definitely had
an impact on me.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen

Tim Douglass

On Sun, 02 Jan 2005 12:57:44 GMT, skeezics wrote:

I used to row a lot as a kid and even tried to get accepted at a college
that had a crew so that I could row there. Haven't handled a pair of
oars in probably 20+ years.

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com

TRUST ME!!!!! they dont work the same way as you recall!!! lol....

*Nothing* works the same way as it did 20 years ago.

KnowwhatImean?

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
Patriarch

Silvan wrote in news:33pjmcF42vee3U2
@individual.net:

Tim Douglass wrote:

1. Get more exercise.

Note that I don't say anything about dieting or losing weight - it is
my hope that exercise will deal with the weight and I already know

Good luck. I'm walking my ass off with SWMBO incapacitated, and I'm not
eating much. I've gained 15 pounds.

Stress does strange things to a body.

Patriarch
Patriarch

I spent several hours Saturday, cleaning and honing handplanes, so that
they are neat, sharp and well-organized. This leads me to two resolutions:

1. Don't let them get into such sad shape again.

2. Stop buying every handplane of interest that comes along.

Patriarch,
thinking that this is a year for chisels and gouges...

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:45:23 GMT, Patriarch
calmly ranted:

I spent several hours Saturday, cleaning and honing handplanes, so that
they are neat, sharp and well-organized. This leads me to two resolutions:

1. Don't let them get into such sad shape again.

Excellent idea.

2. Stop buying every handplane of interest that comes along.

WHAT? You'd leave poor, innocent, orphaned planes out on the street
where they'd rust and fall apart? What a meanie!

Patriarch,
thinking that this is a year for chisels and gouges...

There ya go. I'm either going to buy that gas welding outfit
and make a slick out of a piece of leaf spring this year or
buy an old one. As a tool coll^H^H^H^Happreciator, I am drawn
toward the former.

"Boy, I feel safer now that Martha Stewart is behind bars!
O.J. is walking around free, Osama Bin Laden too, but they
take the one woman in America willing to cook and clean
and work in the yard and haul her ass to jail."
--Tim Allen

Patriarch

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 00:45:23 GMT, Patriarch
calmly ranted:

I spent several hours Saturday, cleaning and honing handplanes, so
that they are neat, sharp and well-organized. This leads me to two
resolutions:

1. Don't let them get into such sad shape again.

Excellent idea.

2. Stop buying every handplane of interest that comes along.

WHAT? You'd leave poor, innocent, orphaned planes out on the street
where they'd rust and fall apart? What a meanie!

Well, at that price, maybe I'd be willing to give them a home. It's those
sweet, new beauties from Lie-Nielsen and Veritas, and the quasi-antiques
from the esteemed Mr. Leach's Olde Handplane Emporium that have to be
avoided, at least until the checkbook heals a bit.

Yeah, bring them on in. There's a couple of rusty, orphaned planes for
them to hang out with still, anyways.

Oh, and I have to be _very_ careful, when considering the work of that
crafty Portland maker of functional woodart, Steve Knight. He seems
innocent, what with his 30% off sales. Isn't that how a pusher makes new
addicts? ;-)

Patriarch
GregP

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 12:45:14 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

To not cuss so much. (a perennial favorite).
To lose about six thousand pounds, in unneeded machinery and tools.
To fix the hold down on the Delta POS Benchtop Morticer......

You couldn't possibly know how much guilt this
post lifted from my shoulders. Thank you, thank
you, thank you.

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
10 years ARM mortgage rate higher then 30 year fixed? vahania Home Ownership 1 May 8th 04 02:36 AM