Groggy

Default Tailed Vs Stumpy Drills

I promised the missus a (melamine) cabinet for the laundry, but to
allow for shelf locations I needed to drill lots of holes. Since it
has been a while since I last used my electric drills I dragged them
out and gave them their day in the sun.

I'd forgotten how much faster and more powerful they are than the
DeWalt 12v, which, although a useful tool, isn't close to being in the
same class.

Another thing I noticed is the finish quality of the hole (using the
same bit). The Makita drill repeatedly left a crisp edge whilst the
DeWalt chipped the edges. I think this is due to the 5mm bit needing
the speed of the Makita, which the DeWalt can't match. Even my heavy
duty Pentagon left crisp, effortless edges.

Although they are convenient, the results of the cordless drill don't
come close to the pow-whirred variety so, I think I am going to drop
back to having cords everywhere for a while.

Greg
George

"Groggy" wrote in message

Although they are convenient, the results of the cordless drill don't
come close to the pow-whirred variety so, I think I am going to drop
back to having cords everywhere for a while.

Convenience has overcome sense in a lot of ways, that's for sure.

I used to tell the kids at the shop that tailed were drills, the battery
operated were drivers.

Leon

"Groggy" wrote in message

Snip

Although they are convenient, the results of the cordless drill don't
come close to the pow-whirred variety so, I think I am going to drop
back to having cords everywhere for a while.

Agreed, IMHO the corded ones are still better for many applications where
speed or power is needed. They certainly make more since economically. If
only they had a multiple speed gear box like the cordless and an electronic
brake.

LRod

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:39:58 GMT, Groggy
wrote:

Although they are convenient, the results of the cordless drill don't
come close to the pow-whirred variety so, I think I am going to drop
back to having cords everywhere for a while.

I discovered long ago that the step drill bit for my Kreg jig works a
lot better in a corded drill than the cordless. It's all in the speed.
Even in high range the cordless doesn't turn fast enough to make the
quick, easy hole that the corded drill does. I'm not ready to forego
the stumpies entirely; they are far too useful and convenient; but
there certainly are occasions when I prefer the tailed boys.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
Leon

"LRod" wrote in message

I discovered long ago that the step drill bit for my Kreg jig works a
lot better in a corded drill than the cordless.

I discover that in the owners manual. IIRC the rep at the show recomended a
higher speed corded drill.

It's all in the speed.
Even in high range the cordless doesn't turn fast enough to make the
quick, easy hole that the corded drill does. I'm not ready to forego
the stumpies entirely; they are far too useful and convenient; but
there certainly are occasions when I prefer the tailed boys.

IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

sandman

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"Groggy" wrote in message

Snip

Although they are convenient, the results of the cordless drill don't
come close to the pow-whirred variety so, I think I am going to drop
back to having cords everywhere for a while.

Agreed, IMHO the corded ones are still better for many applications where
speed or power is needed. They certainly make more since economically. If
only they had a multiple speed gear box like the cordless and an electronic
brake.

It's the braking which makes me prefer the cordless. My Bosch VSR, even
though it has a two-speed gearbox, takes too long to wind down. For high
speed and sudden stops, I use an air drill. NOT a Festool *LOL*, but an
off-shore 30 dollar jobbie. Keeping it oiled, it has plenty of torque
and speed for all-day use. It's been great for 5+ years. I use yet
another airdrill with a mixing attachment to mix up my laquer and
keeping those arc-ing brushes away from the fumes.

Rob
Leon

"sandman" wrote in message

It's the braking which makes me prefer the cordless. My Bosch VSR, even
though it has a two-speed gearbox, takes too long to wind down. For high
speed and sudden stops, I use an air drill. NOT a Festool *LOL*, but an
off-shore 30 dollar jobbie.

Yeah BUT does it have a keyless chuck??? LOL

LRod

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:52:12 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
.. .

I discovered long ago that the step drill bit for my Kreg jig works a
lot better in a corded drill than the cordless.

I discover that in the owners manual.

What's that? Is that like directions? I have a box full of them
somewhere.

IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

No question about it. That would be one of the activities in which I
prefer the cordless.

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net
sandman

In article ,
"Leon" wrote:

"sandman" wrote in message

It's the braking which makes me prefer the cordless. My Bosch VSR, even
though it has a two-speed gearbox, takes too long to wind down. For high
speed and sudden stops, I use an air drill. NOT a Festool *LOL*, but an
off-shore 30 dollar jobbie.

Yeah BUT does it have a keyless chuck??? LOL

*G*..Busted. Nope, it doesn't...doesn't have 'reverse' either...or
'variable speed' for that matter.... I use a 5/16 braided rubber hose,
no air coupling on the drill but there is one about 4-feet from the
drill and that hooks up to a normal air hose. Very handy for tight
corners, and very light weight.

I had one summer-student convinced that the drill's output is 5HP
because the compressor motor is rated at 5 HP. *G*
Bob

I know you are speaking from experience. I'm confused by the factory
specs. In the Dewalt line, the corded drills actually turn slower than
the cordless. In fact, the fastest drill made by Dewalt that I could
find was their 1/2" heavy duty cordless (3 speed with top speed range
0-2000 rpm). I've got a Dewalt 18 volt drill and its always seemed as
fast on its highest speed as my 3/8" corded drill. Maybe the lower
voltage drills slow down under load?

Bob

SonomaProducts.com

I use vix bits for shelf holes, never been a problem chipping with
cordless in melamine.

Leon

"Bob" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know you are speaking from experience. I'm confused by the factory
specs. In the Dewalt line, the corded drills actually turn slower than
the cordless. In fact, the fastest drill made by Dewalt that I could
find was their 1/2" heavy duty cordless (3 speed with top speed range
0-2000 rpm). I've got a Dewalt 18 volt drill and its always seemed as
fast on its highest speed as my 3/8" corded drill. Maybe the lower
voltage drills slow down under load?

The older 2 speeds don't spin all the fast. Mine is 400 on low and 1100 on
high. I'm sure the 3rd speed improves the speed. IIRC my corded drill
spins at 2200.

Groggy

"Leon" wrote in message ...
IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

I agree, my comments were in relation to drilling only. For driving, I use a
Metabo "zucchini" driver which is without peer.

Groggy

John Grossbohlin

"Groggy" wrote in message
I promised the missus a (melamine) cabinet for the laundry, but to
allow for shelf locations I needed to drill lots of holes. Since it
has been a while since I last used my electric drills I dragged them
out and gave them their day in the sun.

I'd forgotten how much faster and more powerful they are than the
DeWalt 12v, which, although a useful tool, isn't close to being in the
same class.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my 8 year old last fall when I
pulled out my Porter Cable corded drill. He asked "What's that?" My response
was "It's a drill." His response was "Oh, I've never seen one with a wire on
it before..." Funny how time moves on. ;-)

John

Old Nick

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:39:58 GMT, Groggy
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

All that you say is true. I believe the argument that will no doubt
ensue is pointless. They each have their places. Each far outperforms
the other in its place. shrug. G

I promised the missus a (melamine) cabinet for the laundry, but to
allow for shelf locations I needed to drill lots of holes. Since it
has been a while since I last used my electric drills I dragged them
out and gave them their day in the sun.

I'd forgotten how much faster and more powerful they are than the
DeWalt 12v, which, although a useful tool, isn't close to being in the
same class.

mac davis

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 15:54:12 +0000, LRod
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:52:12 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
. ..

I discovered long ago that the step drill bit for my Kreg jig works a
lot better in a corded drill than the cordless.

I discover that in the owners manual.

What's that? Is that like directions? I have a box full of them
somewhere.

IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

unless you're building a fence...
my neighbor has a corded screw gun that kicks ass... when we did my
fence, he did all the screws on 130' of fence in about 7 hours...
we figured later that between the stringers and pickets, he drove
about 1,300 2 1/2" screws that day..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Norman D. Crow

wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 14:52:12 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"LRod" wrote in message
. ..

I discovered long ago that the step drill bit for my Kreg jig works a
lot better in a corded drill than the cordless.

I discover that in the owners manual.

What's that? Is that like directions? I have a box full of them
somewhere.

IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

unless you're building a fence...
my neighbor has a corded screw gun that kicks ass... when we did my
fence, he did all the screws on 130' of fence in about 7 hours...
we figured later that between the stringers and pickets, he drove
about 1,300 2 1/2" screws that day..

Yabbut, now you're talking apples and oranges. I have a corded DW
deck/drywall screwgun that as you say, "kicks ass". That nose piece for
adjusting the head depth is there for a reason. I took mine off once for
some reason, and sunk a 3 1/2" screw most of the way through a tubafor
before I could pull away or get off the trigger. Used it for the drywall
during recent remodel at Daughter's house, and it was great. Consistent head
placement, where the cordless with a torque clutch would do just OK,
sometimes not setting the head, sometimes setting it too deep.

--
Nahmie
Those on the cutting edge bleed a lot.

mac davis

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 09:20:34 -0500, "Norman D. Crow"
wrote:

[...]

I've seen a few nice cordless screw guns, but can't imagine how many
batteries you'd need charged to do a fence..
sometimes it's better to just run an old fashioned extension cord..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Joe C.

Groggy,

Having been recently re-enlightened, you need to read Tom Watson's 'Ode to a
Corded Drill'

http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/page38.htm

Joe C.

"Groggy" wrote in message
[...]

Phil Hansen

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 01:21:21 GMT, "Groggy"
wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message ...
IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

I agree, my comments were in relation to drilling only. For driving, I use a
Metabo "zucchini" driver which is without peer.

Hi Greg,
Is that the 4.8v 'Powergrip'? Looked at one as my old B&D is getting
tired. The Metabo is a bit pricy here but the size seems ideal for
getting into small places as opposed to the long B&D.
BTW How is the saw?

Groggy

wrote:

"Leon" wrote in message ...
IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a
screw into wood.

I agree, my comments were in relation to drilling only. For driving, I use a
Metabo "zucchini" driver which is without peer.

Hi Greg,
Is that the 4.8v 'Powergrip'? Looked at one as my old B&D is getting
tired. The Metabo is a bit pricy here but the size seems ideal for
getting into small places as opposed to the long B&D.
BTW How is the saw?

Howzit Phil!

Yes, the Metabo is a Powergrip.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pricing=INC&pf_id=20564&lkid=58&cid=ON VBSPQYMMLCCIGTEQ63ZJ3DZRGYXKP9

One of the things I like about it most people would probably think of
as a drawback - it can't be used as a drill. Unless you are desperate
of course. I particularly wanted a dedicated driver due to the fact
every time I had to drive a screw I had to replace a drill bit first,
I found it took a lot of time to fiddle around, hence the dedicated
driver.

This thing has incredible torque and, once you get used to the funny
feel of it, it seems to be able to get into just about anywhere.
Cabinet work is great with it. I got one as a retirement gift to
myself a while ago (before I started a new job - hehe). I can't recall
needing to recharge a battery during the day, and I always put one on
charge once it is cold (usually first thing in the morning). If you
can, get the holster and toss the torch (flashlight Keith).

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp?pricing=INC&pf_id=20576&recno=3&cid=ON VBSPQYMMLCCIGTEQ63ZJ3DZRGYXKP9

BUFF the new saw is the best thing I have bought in years, Just being
able to rip a large panel perfectly square first go is such a time
saver. Miters are perfect 45 deg and it has so much power I am
treating it with a lot of respect. I would have preferred a left-tilt
(since that's what my previous saw was) but I am getting used to
BUFF's way of doing things. Dust collection isn't perfect but I am
working on it, it still spits a bit out in the 7 o'clock position.

I now have GP, plywood (300mm) and dado (250mm) blades.

cheers and Happy New Year

Greg

PS Did SA get any large surges from the tsunami? I only saw minimal
activity on the north west shores (I wonder what the effect will be on
temperatures in the coming years).

Phil Hansen

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 05:51:32 GMT, Groggy
wrote:

Thanks for the update on the saw.

PS Did SA get any large surges from the tsunami? I only saw minimal
activity on the north west shores (I wonder what the effect will be on
temperatures in the coming years).

Haven't heard of anything serious. There were reports of a few
abnormal tides but the experts say it may or may not have been an
effect. The news is more concerned with our cricket results G. Just
doesn't get any better.

Cheers and happy New Year.
Brian Elfert

Groggy writes:

I promised the missus a (melamine) cabinet for the laundry, but to
allow for shelf locations I needed to drill lots of holes. Since it
has been a while since I last used my electric drills I dragged them
out and gave them their day in the sun.

I'd forgotten how much faster and more powerful they are than the
DeWalt 12v, which, although a useful tool, isn't close to being in the
same class.

I have both a Dewalt 3/8" corded drill and a Porter-Cable 1/2" 19.2V
drill.

The cordless has way more torque than the corded drill. I was trying to
drive screws into concrete once. The Dewalt would just stop with the
screw having an inch to go. The Porter-Cable would drive them in another
1/2" and then snap them off. I ended up renting a Hitachi nail gun that
uses the explosive charges to get my 2x4s anchored to the floor.

Brian Elfert

DeWalt makes a gun that I'm saving up for right now that uses the
drywall gun actuation (motor runs but bit doesn't spin until you press
on it) but a slip-clutch like most cordless drill/drivers. Apparently,
sheet-metal guys use them all the time. I've been framing heavy gauge
steel studs lately, and the old B&D cordless isn't really up to the
task. Hence the clutch-type gun, which spins slower and has more
torque. For general application, *that* screw gun beats a drywall
screw shooter. However, they don't call it a DRYWALL screw shooter
because some other tool does a better job. Personally, I think that
the DeWalt people, in some crazy scheme to make money, are
manufacturing a whole store full of tools that I cannot possibly live
without

-Phil Crow