blueman

Default Resurfacing table with butcher-block surface

We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down
and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we
finish sanding?
I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more
porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

Thanks,
Jeff
Frank Ketchum

"blueman" wrote in message
We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down
and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we
finish sanding?
I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more
porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

If you plan on using it as a butcher block (cutting and preparing foods)
then only use a finish that is food safe. Walnut oil or mineral oil are the
traditional ones. If it is just to be used as a table then I think you are
on the right track with polyurethane. It provides a tough finish, great for
tables which will get used. The main drawback as I see it is that poly is
difficult to repair if you get a scratch or something in it. There are nice
looking finishes that are easily repairable, like shellac if that is a
concern.

Frank

Nate Perkins

blueman wrote in
:

We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down
and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we
finish sanding?
I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more
porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

Thanks,
Jeff

For food-safe durable finishes (cutting boards) I've had good luck with
General brand "salad bowl finish."

For general purpose durable use, you might try Waterlox. I have not
tried it before, but based on positive comments here I ordered a couple
of quarts from Highland Hardware and received them today. Looking
forward to trying it out.

butcher block oil or mineral oil Richard Clements Woodworking 5 November 25th 04 03:59 AM
Butcher Block Top Woodster Woodworking 18 January 7th 04 11:16 PM
ripping butcher block maple top keith Woodworking 5 November 15th 03 11:33 AM
Old butcher block for workbench top? Peter Bogiatzidis Woodworking 5 October 24th 03 02:16 PM
Maple Butcher Block -finishing question: fred Woodworking 3 August 24th 03 12:54 AM