DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Resurfacing table with butcher-block surface (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/82021-resurfacing-table-butcher-block-surface.html)

blueman December 17th 04 01:56 PM

Resurfacing table with butcher-block surface

We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down
and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we
finish sanding?
I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more
porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

Thanks,
Jeff

Frank Ketchum December 17th 04 03:22 PM

"blueman" wrote in message
We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down
and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we
finish sanding?
I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more
porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

If you plan on using it as a butcher block (cutting and preparing foods)
then only use a finish that is food safe. Walnut oil or mineral oil are the
traditional ones. If it is just to be used as a table then I think you are
on the right track with polyurethane. It provides a tough finish, great for
tables which will get used. The main drawback as I see it is that poly is
difficult to repair if you get a scratch or something in it. There are nice
looking finishes that are easily repairable, like shellac if that is a
concern.

Frank

Nate Perkins December 18th 04 06:06 AM

blueman wrote in
:

We have a table with a butcher-block surface that we plan to sand-down
and resurface.

What are the potential alternative protective coats to put on after we
finish sanding?
I would prefer a touch, water-tight surface like polyurethane to more
porous ones like oil or wax.

What are some specific recommendations for types of products?

Thanks,
Jeff

For food-safe durable finishes (cutting boards) I've had good luck with
General brand "salad bowl finish."

For general purpose durable use, you might try Waterlox. I have not
tried it before, but based on positive comments here I ordered a couple
of quarts from Highland Hardware and received them today. Looking
forward to trying it out.