Prometheus

Default A Gloat

Hello all,

I picked up my Delta Midi-lathe last Friday- and got a hell of a deal
on it. I checked two weeks before I went to get it, and the sales
person said there were 65 left, and I assumed (incorrectly, I guess)
that there would be no way they'd sell them all. But lo and behold,
when I went in to get it, the display model was the only one left.
So, no only did I get to make sure that the headstock and tailstock
are aligned (and they are, perfectly), but I got the lathe for $220,
because it wasn't in a box. Add to that the free set of turning tools
from Delta ($100 at the same place I got the lathe) and I almost feel
like I stole the sucker. Lots of fun- and I've got it in on the
heated porch, so I can actually do some woodworking without freezing
out in the cold! As an added bonus, the wife likes the stuff I've
done so far enough to volunteer to help buy me a bigger one once we've
got a new house.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Silvan

Prometheus wrote:

out in the cold! As an added bonus, the wife likes the stuff I've
done so far enough to volunteer to help buy me a bigger one once we've
got a new house.

You suck!

You also just opened Pandora's Box. I warned you about this already, didn't
I? Some people never listen.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Prometheus

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:22:38 -0500, Silvan
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

out in the cold! As an added bonus, the wife likes the stuff I've
done so far enough to volunteer to help buy me a bigger one once we've
got a new house.

You suck!

You also just opened Pandora's Box. I warned you about this already, didn't
I? Some people never listen.

Yebbut.... after doing a good pile of WW'ing projects, I decided to
focus on Chess sets. It got old carving by hand very quickly! At
least I won't be selling off all my other tools, as I need them for
making boards and tables!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Morris Dovey

Prometheus wrote:

snipped

the wife likes the stuff I've done so far enough to volunteer
to help buy me a bigger one once we've got a new house.

A serious gloat, indeed! (Glad to hear that you're getting the
new house first. :-)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

We should be so lucky--good score!

Dan

Edwin Pawlowski

"Prometheus" wrote in message

I got the lathe for $220,
because it wasn't in a box. Add to that the free set of turning tools
from Delta ($100 at the same place I got the lathe) and I almost feel
like I stole the sucker.

You did. This is not a gloat, but a felony.
Have fun with it, at least until they haul you off to jail.

robdingnagian1

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

I picked up my Delta Midi-lathe last Friday- and got a hell of a deal
on it. ...I got the lathe for $220 because it wasn't in a box. Add

to that the free set of turning tools
from Delta ($100 at the same place I got the lathe) and I almost feel
like I stole the sucker.

As others said, "You suck". I just got the JET with the bed extension
for $245 shipped free and no tax. Please tell me that you had to pay
sales tax? How about an extended warranty? You paid extra for that I
bet. Didn't you? Aha! You probably had to drive two hours uphill each
way to go and get it with an 8 mpg vehicle.

Oh yeah, mine had a box. So there.

Just ribbing you. I was torn between the JET and the Delta. I think
that we'll both be happy. In case you aren't interested in building a
lathe workbench right away, I just got the one that Craftsman makes.
Craftsman Club members 10% off plus a Craftsman Club 10% off coupon and
it was only $81.00. That is much cheaper than the JET one which would
have required an extension. Apparently, they are used for Deltas too.

Prometheus

On 13 Dec 2004 17:48:25 -0800, "robdingnagian1"
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
[...]

Actually, I was all keyed up the night before, and ended up making a
lathe bench that's darn near as good as my entertainment center. I
was going to make the sucker out of steel and a big hunk of mesquite
I've got, but then the 3/4" sheet of oak MDF sitting in the corner of
my shop started calling me... the wife was a little irritated when she
saw it, and asked me why I never seem to get around to doing things
like that for the house, and all I could do was stammer, but... but...
it's for a *tool*... not something dumb like a TV... She got over it
pretty quick when I made her some nice little boxes and Xmas
ornaments, though. I wonder how common it is for shop furniture to be
nicer than house furniture in the woodworking world?

As far as the other stuff goes, I did have to pay sales tax. No
extended warranty (never been offered one with Delta, actually) But
would it make you feel better if I told you I carried it home on my
back, with no shoes on, in the wintertime?
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Kevin French

Prometheus wrote:

Hello all,

I picked up my Delta Midi-lathe last Friday- and got a hell of a deal
on it. ...I got the lathe for $220 because it wasn't in a box. Add

to that the free set of turning tools

from Delta ($100 at the same place I got the lathe) and I almost feel
like I stole the sucker.

YO PRO

I'll see your Midi and raise you a 36" lathe and eight tools FREE from
the DUMP!!!!!

Well a guy was asked one of the attendants if he knew of someone who
wanted one. The attendant said yes, he'll be here on Tuesday.

He had built a base for it but never hooked up a motor to it. Now it's a
no name, but since a real lathe is at LEAST four pieces away, this one
will do for now.
Prometheus

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 20:03:27 -0500, Kevin French
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:

Hello all,

I picked up my Delta Midi-lathe last Friday- and got a hell of a deal
on it. ...I got the lathe for $220 because it wasn't in a box. Add

to that the free set of turning tools

from Delta ($100 at the same place I got the lathe) and I almost feel
like I stole the sucker.

YO PRO

I'll see your Midi and raise you a 36" lathe and eight tools FREE from
the DUMP!!!!!

Well a guy was asked one of the attendants if he knew of someone who
wanted one. The attendant said yes, he'll be here on Tuesday.

He had built a base for it but never hooked up a motor to it. Now it's a
no name, but since a real lathe is at LEAST four pieces away, this one
will do for now.

Well, I guess you suck too!
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

robdingnagian1

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

I picked up my Delta Midi-lathe last Friday- and got a hell of a deal
on it.

I hope that they have a price protection guarantee. Today, Amazon is
cheaper. I was able to get them to refund me $30 on my Jet mini plus
table extension. $20 and $10 respectively. They are awesome. No
hassles. You should check with the store you purchased at. I'm sure
that you heard of all of the price wars, so I won't get into that.

Eric

ps. I did feel better about you carrying it on your back barefooted in
the winter. Thanks

Prometheus

On 15 Dec 2004 18:35:54 -0800, "robdingnagian1"
wrote:

Prometheus wrote:
Hello all,

I picked up my Delta Midi-lathe last Friday- and got a hell of a deal
on it.

I hope that they have a price protection guarantee. Today, Amazon is
cheaper. I was able to get them to refund me $30 on my Jet mini plus
table extension. $20 and $10 respectively. They are awesome. No
hassles. You should check with the store you purchased at. I'm sure
that you heard of all of the price wars, so I won't get into that.

Holy crap, that *is* cheaper!

But nah, I buy a lot of tools there (the local Farm & Fleet), they
give me pretty good deals for customer loyalty, and there is a Walmart
being erected not 200 yards from the place. No need to take extra
money out of their pockets... I just hope they stick to their guns
quality-wise, and don't try to compete with the Uberstores- I'd be
very upset, to put it mildly, if I all of a sudden found that Black
and Decker was all I could find within an hour's drive!