Tom Veatch

Default "Professional Woodworker" brand tools

Anybody ever heard of "Professional Woodworker" branded tools?

Reason I ask is that I saw a virtually unused (or really well cleaned up) lathe
at a garage sale last Sunday that carried that brand. Figured the motor alone
was worth the asking price.

So now I own a lathe. Real basic. No creature comforts at all. Partial
disassembly to change speeds. Tool rest and tailstock held down with hex bolts
for which I don't have a big enough wrench. Well, Craftsman used to make pretty
good wrenches.

Probably some Chiwanese import for which repair parts/accessories don't exist.
But, what the heck, it's only money.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA
robdingnagian1

I bought some of their clamps at a Homier sale about five or six years
ago. I don't find many tools to be completely useless, but they make
the worst clamps in the world. The ends of bar clamps were basically
pop riveted on. C-Clamps were not much better. When they say you can't
have too many clamps, they didn't know about these. They were
worthless. I unloaded the bar clamps at a garage sale and vowed never
to buy from them or Homier again. Now I have mostly Rockler pipe clamps
and am coveting some Besseys.

I hope that you have better luck with the lathe. Value is in what you
can make out of it. If it doesn't work out as a lathe and the motor can
later be used for something else, what the heck?

Eric T

Tom Veatch wrote:
Anybody ever heard of "Professional Woodworker" branded tools?

Reason I ask is that I saw a virtually unused (or really well cleaned

up) lathe
at a garage sale last Sunday that carried that brand. Figured the

motor alone
was worth the asking price.

So now I own a lathe. Real basic. No creature comforts at all.

Partial
disassembly to change speeds. Tool rest and tailstock held down with

hex bolts
for which I don't have a big enough wrench. Well, Craftsman used to

make pretty
good wrenches.

Probably some Chiwanese import for which repair parts/accessories

don't exist.
But, what the heck, it's only money.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA

rllipham

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 14:10:02 GMT, Tom Veatch
wrote:

Anybody ever heard of "Professional Woodworker" branded tools?

Reason I ask is that I saw a virtually unused (or really well cleaned up) lathe
at a garage sale last Sunday that carried that brand. Figured the motor alone
was worth the asking price.

So now I own a lathe. Real basic. No creature comforts at all. Partial
disassembly to change speeds. Tool rest and tailstock held down with hex bolts
for which I don't have a big enough wrench. Well, Craftsman used to make pretty
good wrenches.

Probably some Chiwanese import for which repair parts/accessories don't exist.
But, what the heck, it's only money.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA

"Professional Woodworker" is a Homier brand tool. I have no experience
with the lathe but I have had a few of their tools with mixed results.

I have several of their mobile bases ($17) that work great. One base
has 0.02 miles on it. (HA!)

Most of their tools are lighter duty tham Harbor Freight but some are
diamond in the rough.

wrote:

Anybody ever heard of "Professional Woodworker" branded tools?

Reason I ask is that I saw a virtually unused (or really well cleaned up) lathe
at a garage sale last Sunday that carried that brand. Figured the motor alone
was worth the asking price.

So now I own a lathe. Real basic. No creature comforts at all. Partial
disassembly to change speeds. Tool rest and tailstock held down with hex bolts
for which I don't have a big enough wrench. Well, Craftsman used to make pretty
good wrenches.

Probably some Chiwanese import for which repair parts/accessories don't exist.
But, what the heck, it's only money.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA

prolly chaiwanese.

but then, so is most of delta's line these days. maybe delta parts
will fit it.

so post pics. and plug it in and make sumpthin' already.
Tom Veatch

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:23:20 -0700, s wrote:

prolly chaiwanese.

but then, so is most of delta's line these days. maybe delta parts
will fit it.

so post pics. and plug it in and make sumpthin' already.

Googled "Professional Woodworker" and from the results kinda figgered it was a
Homier product. And, in little bitty letters, there's a "Made in China". Don't
need any repairs, yet. But, since I've never owned a lathe before, I'll be
needing turning tools and possibly a faceplate, chuck, etc. Hopefully, it's a
standard screw thread I'm dealing with.

Can't make nothin' yet since my workshop is currently in one mell of a hess.
Started a project to expand the workshop building to make room for a
tractor/equipment shed and some additional workshop floor space.

Today is maybe the 4th day since we opened the foundation in mid October that it
hasn't been raining or snowing. The ground is so muddy and slick that walking
around is a real exercise in keeping your balance. Not to mention building up
your thigh muscles due to the 20# of clay firmly attached to each shoe. My shoes
haven't been inside the house for over a month. But we did get the foundation
and equipment shed floor poured. The shop subfloor and DC ducting is in, wall
framing is almost complete and the roof trusses are on site. Expect delivery of
the cyclone later this week or first of next week.

Now if just won't rain before the ground dries enough to get a crane on site to
place the trusses (32' span is more than I want to try to raise by hand) we can
get the roof framed. We plan on stripping the siding off the adjoining wall on
the existing building this afternoon so we can complete framing the new walls.

This has to have been the wettest Autumn in Wichita history.

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS USA

Silvan

robdingnagian1 wrote:

I bought some of their clamps at a Homier sale about five or six years
ago. I don't find many tools to be completely useless, but they make
the worst clamps in the world. The ends of bar clamps were basically

I went to a Homier sale once. Half an acre of tools spread out before me,
and I didn't buy *anything*. I've never seen so much garbage in one place,
and I used to live over the hill from a landfill.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Junior Member

Anyone ever use their Dado Blades?

I have considered putting 3 7-1/4" blades together to cut dados.
Anyone ever do that?

Ken
Posted to rec.woodworking

replying to Tom Veatch, Jamie wrote:
Hey Tom.
I bought one at a yard sale years ago. I love that little, simple machine.
However, the "Tail Stock" is made of cast iron and broke in two a couple a
weeks ago. I don't particularly care to try welding cast. I may have to
fabricate the bracket with steel... unless you know where I can order parts
for it. I'm
Have a good one.

--
for full context, visit