Larry Jaques

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:46:56 -0800, "Brett A. Thomas"
calmly ranted:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Let's hope you have shown him what a gun was by now. You have taught
him to respect them and to stay away from them until he's old enough
to safety-train, I hope?

Well, "by now" is three months later. But, yes, he knows to respect
them, knows they're dangerous, etc. He's been taught the basic NRA
Eddie Eagle routine.

Bueno, Bwana.

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 08:09:31 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

Black powder-powered steel-and-composite perp-stopping tool.

Black powder in 9mm ? That's either deeply perverse, or you're using
a nitro powder. Some of use care, y'know?

I suppose you _could_ load a 9mm semi-auto with black powder. But
you'd have to change calibre for each round; 9mm, 8.5mm, 8mm... You'd
be firing .22s by the time you got some fouling in there.
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:10:56 +0800, Old Nick
wrote:

When you wear a pair of decent muffs, IME you realise that the "mask
and muff set" ones are not as good as you might think.

Some of them even cut the noise down, but I'd still prefer to skip the
sweaty ears and the head-vice effect.

3M are making some _really_ comfortable earmuffs these days.

Ba r r y

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 09:36:22 -0500, Bob G.
wrote:

However in my shop....I have not found I really need to use them...

Bob Griffiths. . .

Are you already damaged? G

My FIL dosen't "need" hearing protection either, but we have to repeat
everything we say to him more than once.

Barry
Ba r r y

On 06 Dec 2004 14:35:16 GMT, otforme (Charlie Self)
wrote:

Barry responds:

I don't bother with hearing protection when I mow the lawn. Instead, I
use one of these...

http://www.reelmowersetc.com/standard_Light.htm

I could probably finish my lawn in 10-12 hours with that. G

Reel mowers do a nice job, though. They're the standard golf course
machine when ganged together.

Yes, well, we cut something like 1-1/2 acres. No thanks.

Given a choice, I wouldn't cut anything other than the pieces around my shop
and in front of the house, but my wife removes that choice. So it's to Briggs &
Stratton we go.

The golf course versions cut 20-30 foot swaths and go 25 MPH, with 10,
12, or more reels hitched together. If the yard is wide open, it
could cut your acre and a half in about 2 minutes!

Barry

Ba r r y

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

The Howard Leight Orange plugs work
very well. I find that spitting on them helps insert them in the ear. It
grosses my wife out, though.

It grosses ME out. G

Barry
Bruce

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 14:22:00 -0700, Andy Dingley wrote
(in article ):

wrote:

Black powder-powered steel-and-composite perp-stopping tool.

Black powder in 9mm ? That's either deeply perverse, or you're using
a nitro powder. Some of use care, y'know?

I suppose you _could_ load a 9mm semi-auto with black powder. But
you'd have to change calibre for each round; 9mm, 8.5mm, 8mm... You'd
be firing .22s by the time you got some fouling in there.

9mm revolver load?

-Bruce

Andy Dingley

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 17:50:28 -0700, Bruce wrote:

9mm revolver load?

Oddly enough I have shot 9mm revolver - some funny Ruger (?) thing
firing dog-cheap Israeli mil-surplus from half-moon clips. They were
too rubbish to shoot reliably in a semi-auto, but they worked in a
revolver.

Black powder revolver is still a mucky business though. After a while
it just stops going round 8-)

Prometheus

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 12:07:15 GMT, Ba r r y
wrote:

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 02:15:55 GMT, "mark" wrote:

I know they're pricey, but has anyone tried the noise reduction phones from
Bose? I've heard my brother's pair (he uses them for traveling) but he's
never put them to any power tool test.

I've never tried the Bose ones, but if you're looking for something a
little less expensive, Koss makes a pair for around $20. The plugs
that come with the headphones (They are in-ear bud style) aren't
really very good as far as NRR goes, but you can get any pair of foam
earplugs, and put them on the phones as a replacement. I've tried a
bunch of different hearing protection, and finally just gave up and
use the regular foam earplugs (without the headphone) these days.
They do make your ears itch a bit for the first couple of months when
they're in, but your ears do get used to them eventually. The biggest
thing you can do to help with the itch is just to clean out your ears
everytime you get out of the shower.

I've used them in light aircraft, and see no reason why they wouldn't
work in a shop. I'd be nervous about dropping them.

However, earmuffs the cost of a 13" planer aren't my ideal solution.

Barry

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Old Nick

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 09:44:11 -0500, "Buck Turgidson"
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I find that spitting on them helps insert them in the ear. It
grosses my wife out, though.

Hah! Fun ain't it?

Mark & Juanita

wrote:

I find that spitting on them helps insert them in the ear. It
grosses my wife out, though.

Hey Buck,

Put them in your own ears... bg

Dang it! How about a Windex Alert notice before posting something like
that? Do you know how hard it is to get iced tea off the monitor and out
of the keyboard?

:-)

J. Clarke

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Mon, 06 Dec 2004 21:22:00 +0000, Andy Dingley
calmly ranted:

wrote:

Black powder-powered steel-and-composite perp-stopping tool.

Black powder in 9mm ? That's either deeply perverse, or you're using
a nitro powder. Some of use care, y'know?

(Psst, black-colored powder, ya damned literalist.)

Never seen any black-colored nitro powder. It's all gray.

Perhaps you meant a black-colored firearm?

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Repairing Lightning Damaged Tv's CJ Electronics Repair 20 June 22nd 04 06:03 AM