J T

Default Philisophical Woodworking Question

This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought
about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.

Now, I am not religious, I consider myself spiritual now, rather
than Christian, altho originally raised Christian. Still believe in God
too, just probably a bit different perspective than most people. High
Priest for the Woodworking Gods.

That said, the question: What does a Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, or
whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer? If he
was raised in the U.S., I figure he's probably gonna put "Jesus Christ"
in there somewhere. Far as that goes, what would an Amish woodworker
say? I don't care how religious you are, there aren't too many peope
who aren't going to say something.

Now me, I know for a fact that sooner or later the words Jesus
Christ would probably fit in there somewhere. Probably proceeded by
sonovabitch, and several other choice words.

And, I'm convinced there is no athiest or agnotic in existance
that's just going to say "Oh my, I have gone and hit my thumb". They'll
be instant converts to religion, and calling on God and Jesus.

The more I think about it, the more curious I get.

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

gw

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Speaking for myself (agnostic), it goes something like this:

SMASH!!!!!
..
this is going to hurt
a bunch
right about....
OWW!! fargingsunuvabitchinwhore! UUNNGGG!!! GODDAMMIT!!!

I then spend some "quiet time" searching for the hammer.

I think it's more a point of the expressions you mentioned becoming a part
of the lexicon, rather than anything with religious connotations. I can,
however, only imaging the restraint a devoutly religious person must use in
order not to blaspheme in one of these moments. On the other hand, one could
also scream "F*** YOU!" at one's hammer, without having any intention of
fornicating with it.

Buddhadamnit!?

Stephen M

Now, I am not religious, I consider myself spiritual now, rather
than Christian, altho originally raised Christian. Still believe in God
too

Hmmm. me too.

whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer?

When that depends on how hard I have hit my thumb. Having put up a couple
thousand linear feet of wood siding 2 summers ago, I can speak from personal
experience.

I know that when I have really injured myself there is just a sucking in of
air as tears well up in my eyes.

For lesser blows, "*******!" is a personal favorite followed by colorful
but not expecially creative explatives.

-Steve

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004 14:01:45 -0500, J T wrote:
This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought
about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.

And, I'm convinced there is no athiest or agnotic in existance
that's just going to say "Oh my, I have gone and hit my thumb". They'll
be instant converts to religion, and calling on God and Jesus.

When I shot a 3" long framing nail into my left index finger (lengthwise)
while building my house, it was "ouch. Son of a bitch. (pause) (look)
Son of a BITCH!".

The X-ray is impressive.

Ward Wheeler

Fi
What I usually say is :Aaarrrrgghhh!!!".

Then I say "Oooh! OOOH! OOWW! OUCH!

I said all this one day when I trimmed my thumbnail with the router,
too. Then I peeked - most of thumb still there...

wrote:

[...]

Peter De Smidt

J T wrote:

That said, the question: What does a Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, or
whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer? If he
was raised in the U.S., I figure he's probably gonna put "Jesus Christ"
in there somewhere.

Well, my German friend says "****" in those circumstances. "Sheise" just
doesn't do it. I think it's the hard consonants. Consider the
following candidates: Sex!, Copulate!, Coitus!, ****! See, it's those
hard consonants. ****! is much more satisfying.

Nonetheless, the word doesn't matter _that_ much. My father-in-law, a
very devout Roman Catholic, makes up his own swear words. For some
reason they involve the Demgee brothers. Take any word, say it the
right way, and it becomes an expletive. That's why banning naughty words
doesn't do a damn thing.

-Peter
Joe C.

That's one xray I'd love to see. Your story reminds me of the guy who took
an 18" auger bit straight thru the skull. For those who haven't seen it....

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/0902..._survivor.html

Wonder what _he_ said?

Joe C.

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

"whimper whimper... Mommmmmmyyyyyy!"

-j

jo4hn

J T wrote:

This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought
about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.

[snip]

"Oh dear, I sincerely wish that I had not done that. Oh my, that is
very painful. I must learn something from that."

mahalo,
jo4hn

jo4hn

jo4hn wrote:

J T wrote:

This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought
about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.

[snip]

"Oh dear, I sincerely wish that I had not done that. Oh my, that is
very painful. I must learn something from that."

mahalo,
jo4hn

Or something akin to "**** me. damn. damn. damn. Dumb****." Whilst the
dancing goes on.
j4

RonB

That said, the question: What does a Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, or
whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer?

The normal Roman Catholic response at my house is !@#)(&^+!!!!!!!!!!

Get me a %^$*&}@ Beer!

Mekon

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
(snip )

The X-ray is impressive.

Post pics in ABPW!!

Mekon

Mekon

"J T" wrote in message

(SNIP)

And, I'm convinced there is no athiest or agnotic in existance
that's just going to say "Oh my, I have gone and hit my thumb". They'll
be instant converts to religion, and calling on God and Jesus.

The more I think about it, the more curious I get.

I have been atheist since I was 18 and I usually say "Arghhh ...for ****'s
sake!!"
Then I try an instant tourniquet with my other hand, all the while knowing
that it will hurt more when I let it go and knowing that I HAVE to let it go
sometime. Much anguish a few more expletives and then more pain.

Mekon

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 21:10:55 GMT, Mekon wrote:

"Dave Hinz" wrote in message
(snip )

The X-ray is impressive.

Post pics in ABPW!!

Gotta find the film & scan it. I'll put it on a webpage and put
a pointer here when I do.

Dave
Daniel Grieves

Funny that all the responses assume that the cause for cursing is physical
injury. My most colorful and eloquent expletives come out as a result of
screwing up that piece I've been working so hard on for so long. That's
when I'm glad there's a heavy-bag hanging in my workshop.

Dan "god ****ing damn it" Grieves

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

Charlie Self

jo4hn bull****s:

J T wrote:

This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought
about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.

[snip]

"Oh dear, I sincerely wish that I had not done that. Oh my, that is
very painful. I must learn something from that."

As much as I hate to admit it, I sound exactly like a very loud, very
repetitive (there's another kind?) rap CD.

Charlie Self
"Ambition is a poor excuse for not having sense enough to be lazy."
Edgar Bergen, (Charlie McCarthy)
TWS

Indeed. The first words are typically some religious reference which,
as you point out, is odd since I am not religious at all. Followed by
a steady stream of expletives related to my meager intelligence and
family heritage.

The word stream is pretty much the same in all cases, the only
variations are in volume and duration based on pain level (pain as is
physical pain or pain as in how much work it is going to take to fix
the problem).

TWS

Robert Bonomi

In article ,
J T wrote:

[[.. munch ..]]

That said, the question: What does a Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, or
whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer? If he
was raised in the U.S., I figure he's probably gonna put "Jesus Christ"
in there somewhere. Far as that goes, what would an Amish woodworker
say? I don't care how religious you are, there aren't too many peope
who aren't going to say something.

[[.. munch ..]]

The more I think about it, the more curious I get.

OK, so you need some education _about_ the fine art of swearing. grin

'Expletives' break down in to several basic categories.

"Profanities" Taking the name of _thy_ god(s), and associated figures, in
vain, etc.
"Obscenities" e.g. 'the seven words you can't say on TV'
"Vulgarities" "neither of the above".
"Euphemisms" "heck", "Gosh darn it", "drat", 'dag nab it', etc.

A truly devout person will scrupulously avoid profanities. Although they
may *frequently* use language in the other two classes.

Note: something like 'Hell and D*mnation!' is _not_ profanity. Merely a
vulgarity. "G*d d*mn it", on the other hand _is_ profanity.

It _is_ rather surprising how much 'hurt' you can ventilate using nothing
more than vulgarities. *Particularly* if you _don't_ use them much in
every-day conversation.

Euphemisms are totally unsuited for expressing any _intense_ emotion. Their
purpose for existence is to provide a 'toned down' (and thus more 'socially
acceptable') version of the form they substitute for.

The 'force' of _any_ expletive is a function of the class (from profanity
down to euphemism), *and* the 'rarity of use'. The less often you use _any_
expletive, the more release you will get when you _do_ use it.

Swearing/cursing _is_ an art-form. *almost* a 'lost art' these days -- as
far as _quality_ goes. An analysis I read, back in the early 70's, discussed
various life-styles and the skill-set in this regard. One that stuck in
my memory:
"Marines, especially sargents, practice it extensively. Unfortunately,
using a very limited vocabulary, mostly concerned with bodily functions."

Frank Ketchum

"J T" wrote in message

High
Priest for the Woodworking Gods.

When I injure myself, I say one of two things:

If it was a power tool, I say "Norm damn it!"
If is a neander tool, I say "Roy damn it!"

Frank

Prometheus

wrote:

[...]

Hmmm... I'm not atheist or agnostic, and not a Christian either-
usually I just let out an inarticulate bellow followed by (most
commonly) pig-****er, sonofawhore, or ****. Don't recall ever yelling
the name of any particular god- it wasn't their fault, after all!
OTOH, if I'm hurt badly enough to go to the hospital, usually I just
turn real quiet, get pale, and politely ask someone to give me a lift.
Odd how the little stuff that doesn't matter much seems to **** a guy
off so much more than the stuff that is actually a big deal!

Now an even better question is what Jesus (who was a carpenter) yelled
when he hit *his* thumb...

JOAT
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind dont
matter, and those who matter dont mind.
- Dr Seuss

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Phisherman

"Ouch!" I will often use other words if I've been drinking and not
around women or children, but it's my personal rule that I'm not in
the shop if I've been drinking.
Morris Dovey

J T wrote:

The more I think about it, the more curious I get.

["Curiouser and curiouser..."]

Of the the principals of the belief systems you listed, I think
only Jesus was a woodworker. Do you suppose he ever hit his thumb
with a hammer? And if so, what would he have said?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Norman D. Crow

"Robert Bonomi" wrote in message
ervers.com...

byte

[...]

Or to misquote(probably) someone . . "Darn is for people who (don't?)
believe in Heck".(Or something like that).

--
Nahmie

Allyn Vaughn

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 19:18:00 -0600, Morris Dovey
wrote:

J T wrote:

The more I think about it, the more curious I get.

["Curiouser and curiouser..."]

Of the the principals of the belief systems you listed, I think
only Jesus was a woodworker. Do you suppose he ever hit his thumb
with a hammer? And if so, what would he have said?

Why I believe he would have said "Joseph Christ!"

Allyn

NoOne N Particular

"Joe C." wrote in message
. com...
That's one xray I'd love to see. Your story reminds me of the guy who
took
an 18" auger bit straight thru the skull. For those who haven't seen
it....

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/0902..._survivor.html

Wonder what _he_ said?

Joe C.

Had to have been "Holy ****!!"

Wayne

NoOne N Particular

"J T" wrote in message
[...]

For me (now that I got my monitor and keyboard cleaned up again), it depends
on who is in the shop with me. If my wife is out there supervising, I try
to be a little more respectful of her. I usually just grit my teeth and
it's an "mmm mmm MMMMM mmmmm" etc. She usually gets the message and leaves
before my head explodes from my not being able to properly release. If I'm
there by myself, well hell there's no point in making a scene because no one
is there to appreciate it. Then I usually use the opportunity to study a
little human anatomy and/or increase my supply of locally produced
Bloodwood.

Wayne

Chris Melanson

My Fav has to be
"YOU ****IN HOARE" as loud as I can.
the guys in the shop pretty well know it as my sig line by now and all LOL
every time.
Chris Melanson
BLH Millwork

Chris Melanson

All I could think of was that little martian guy from the lonney toons
cartoons saying that now I have to clean the monitor again LOL
Chris Melanson
BLH Millwork

"jo4hn" wrote in message
. net...
J T wrote:

This is not my fault. This morning I was thinking, and I thought
about the recent thread on Pondering in the Workshop.

[snip]

"Oh dear, I sincerely wish that I had not done that. Oh my, that is very
painful. I must learn something from that."

mahalo,
jo4hn

Dan Cullimore

"Joe C." wrote in message .com...
That's one xray I'd love to see. Your story reminds me of the guy who took
an 18" auger bit straight thru the skull. For those who haven't seen it....

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/news/0902..._survivor.html

Wonder what _he_ said?

Joe C.

That gave me the willies!

Dan
Greg O

"J T" wrote in message

That said, the question: What does a Jewish, Moslem, Buddhist, or
whatever, woodworker say when he hits his thumb with a hammer? If he
was raised in the U.S., I figure he's probably gonna put "Jesus Christ"
in there somewhere. Far as that goes, what would an Amish woodworker
say? I don't care how religious you are, there aren't too many peope
who aren't going to say something.

Better yet, shove a 2 inch long x 3/16 inch sliver into to palm of your
hand. Done in such a way that it is pretty much parrallel to the skin. It
went into the pad of skin at the base of one finger, out of the skin, back
in to the pad of my finger, then out again! First feeling was the pain, then
the realization that it had to come out again! I sat down and looked the
situation over for a minute, considered cutting it out, but decided that
would cause more damage. I took out my Leatherman, grabbed the sliver, and
pulled it through the rest of the way in one quick jerk!
Of course there was much swearing after the sliver went in, and many times
more after pulling it out! nothing better than good pure pain!
Greg

mark

When I shot a 3" long framing nail into my left index finger (lengthwise)
while building my house

How?? I just got a framing nailer, and would like to avoid this.

Silvan

Phisherman wrote:

around women or children, but it's my personal rule that I'm not in
the shop if I've been drinking.

Amen.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Silvan

Prometheus wrote:

OTOH, if I'm hurt badly enough to go to the hospital, usually I just
turn real quiet, get pale, and politely ask someone to give me a lift.
Odd how the little stuff that doesn't matter much seems to **** a guy
off so much more than the stuff that is actually a big deal!

Yeah, that is funny, now that you mention it. A whack with a hammer or
something leads to all kinds of expletives. Screwing up a piece by making
two left sides or glueing the leg bone before the thigh bone and having to
knock it apart usually brings up a chorus of my favorite "**** damn ****
snot, twenty-nine assholes tied in a knot."

Yet the times when I get *really* hurt, and I'm losing blood at a pretty
significant rate, I just kind of quietly make my way to the bathroom to
take care of it without saying anything in particular.

I feel embarrassed when that happens, I think. Whacking yourself with a
hammer is something you can laugh about, but I think anytime the bandaid is
not optional, it's shame time for me. I feel really stupid when I *have*
to go doctor myself up, instead of just laughing about a little bloodwood
as I dribble from some piffling cut.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/
Upscale

"Silvan" wrote in message
OTOH, if I'm hurt badly enough to go to the hospital, usually I just
turn real quiet, get pale, and politely ask someone to give me a lift.
Odd how the little stuff that doesn't matter much seems to **** a guy
off so much more than the stuff that is actually a big deal!

I'm the same way. A number of years ago when I broke both legs and as I was
sitting in the hospital waiting for a room, a number of nurses came up to me
commenting that I was white as a sheet. I had to actually talk a doctor out
of trying to run some tests for anaemia. And it was a waste of time cursing
or swearing because it would only have amplified the pain I was in, so I
just sat there and suffered in silence. What else can you do?

Good versus Evil Genome Woodworking 8 October 19th 03 02:22 AM
** Filtering with Extreme Prejudice ** David F. Eisan Woodworking 6 October 9th 03 12:55 PM
*** Read this to filter out the crap *** David F. Eisan Woodworking 0 October 2nd 03 11:03 AM