Doug Miller

In article , igor wrote:

Doug is absolutely correct in his posts on this, IME. In fact consider
that if someone wanted a "group" of outlets in one box from two circuits,
12/3 would be the safest way to do it (with all Doug's caveats about the
breakers). (It may be required under the NEC to have all hot wires within
a box controlled by the same breaker, or paired breakers, but I have
unfortunately encountered boxes that are hot from separate breakers.) It
is common in my non-pro experience to use 12/3 to run series of outlets
along a counter, switching circuits back and forth along the way. For
example, in a kitchen. -- Igor

The NEC requires that all ungrounded conductors be capable of being
disconnected simultaneously by a single disconnecting means. A single,
two-pole breaker is by far the easiest way of achieving this, but it isn't the
only method that complies with that requirement. E.g. two widely separated
single-pole breakers, connected with a rigid handle tie, would satisfy.

--
Regards,

John Moorhead

Patriarch -

I agree, the issue isn't cost... It's time and effort... If I could run a
single 12/3 and get two circuits, it would save another run... But after
reading all of these posts, I've taken the 12/3 back and will play it safer
and have two complete separate runs for 20a circuits using 12/2 and GFCI's
with other outlets connected "downstream"

Believe me... I haven't skimped on ANYTHING with this project - ask my
wallet!

John

John Moorhead

Hello there -

Well, a wealth of posts to the point of confusion as to who's saying what...
anyway, I *am* a layman, and apparently don't have the nomenclature korrect,
I want a total of 4 plug-thingies in a double box, thus two pair... the left
on 1 circuit and the right on the 2nd circuit... But, for now, I have
decided to just run 12/2 and say the hell with it...

John Moorhead
"Swingman" wrote in message
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

Look at it again Swingman - he doesn't want to split an outlet, he wants

two
duplexes together in a double box that have their own hots, but share a
neutral and a ground.

Granted he is using layman's terminology, but are you sure that's what he
meant? ... cuz it damn sure ain't what he said:

I'll put a pair of outlets in each box, 1 on each circuit.

A single is one outlet, a "pair", or duplex, is two outlets in the same
box.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Swingman

"John Moorhead" wrote in message
Hello there -

Well, a wealth of posts to the point of confusion as to who's saying

what...
anyway, I *am* a layman, and apparently don't have the nomenclature

korrect,
I want a total of 4 plug-thingies in a double box, thus two pair... the

left
on 1 circuit and the right on the 2nd circuit... But, for now, I have
decided to just run 12/2 and say the hell with it...

LOL ... I stand corrected.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

patriarch

"John Moorhead" wrote in
. com:
snip

Believe me... I haven't skimped on ANYTHING with this project - ask my
wallet!

That's been pretty obvious from the pictures and the enthusiasm.

I think I've spent almost as much on the electrical work as I did on the
Unisaw. I don't worry that it wasn't done right, however.

There are more than enough things that go bump in the night...

Patriarch