CLSSM00X7

Default Electric Wall Oven Wiring

Aluminum to copper isn't a problem. What matters is how you connect it. If you
are smart you will put a recepticle in the wall and a male end on the stove and
just plug it in. You can also buy some wire nuts and simply go line to line,
nuetral to neutral and ground to ground. If it pulls a lot of amperage you
really should use a recepticle though.

candice

Tom J

"John Miller" wrote in message
I've got a house that's around 55 years old, we're replacing the
original oven (yes it lasted 55 years). The old oven was hardwired in
a junction box with a 3 wire connection, the house wire appears to be
copper. The new oven (Frigiidaire) came with a 4 wire aluminum supply
line. I know it's permissible to connect to a 3 wire service however
the aluminum to copper connection bothers me. Frankly I don't
understand why they didn't just wire the oven with copper but I guess
that's why I don't design ovens.

Any suggestions? Am I right to be concerned?

Be sure to use dielectric paste any time you mate aluminum wire to any other
material, or sooner or later you'll have an arching joint.

Tom J

mark Ransley

It is when CANDICE recomends a CURE I get scared, SHE IS NOT
AN ELECTRICIAN nor is she licensed at ZIP .... ZERO - NADA O- ZIP

John Grabowski

Where did you get the idea that it is okay to connect a 3 wire feed to a 4
wire supply line? That is WRONG.

By doing so you would be connecting your grounding conductor which is
connected to the metal parts of your new oven to the current carrying
grounded conductor (Neutral). You would be allowing current to pass through
the metal parts of your oven. This is not a healthy situation in a kitchen
where there are water pipes and other grounded appliances. Touch the oven
and touch the sink at the same time and you could get a nice surprise. The
neutral is needed because the controls on the oven are 120 volts and
although they use a small amount of current it still presents a potential
hazard.

Wiring as you intended may void your warranty as well. Unless the factory
tells you it is okay to do, it is not.

You need to run a 4 wire circuit. Install a 4 wire receptacle and a 4 wire
plug on the oven cable.

The wire on the oven is not aluminum. It is a silver alloy. It has less
resistance and greater conductivity than copper. It is fairly common to
use silver alloy wire on appliances. Did you notice if it is a smaller
size than your copper feed? If it was aluminum it would be bigger. As far
as I know there is no problem connecting silver alloy to copper.

Be safe.

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

"John Miller" wrote in message
I've got a house that's around 55 years old, we're replacing the
original oven (yes it lasted 55 years). The old oven was hardwired in
a junction box with a 3 wire connection, the house wire appears to be
copper. The new oven (Frigiidaire) came with a 4 wire aluminum supply
line. I know it's permissible to connect to a 3 wire service however
the aluminum to copper connection bothers me. Frankly I don't
understand why they didn't just wire the oven with copper but I guess
that's why I don't design ovens.

Any suggestions? Am I right to be concerned?

Thanks,

John

John Miller

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

John Miller

Actually the manufacturer is who said it was ok to connect a 4 wire
supply to a 3 wire house circuit.

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 13:22:05 GMT, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

[...]

.. .
I've got a house that's around 55 years old, we're replacing the
original oven (yes it lasted 55 years). The old oven was hardwired in
a junction box with a 3 wire connection, the house wire appears to be
copper. The new oven (Frigiidaire) came with a 4 wire aluminum supply
line. I know it's permissible to connect to a 3 wire service however
the aluminum to copper connection bothers me. Frankly I don't
understand why they didn't just wire the oven with copper but I guess
that's why I don't design ovens.

Any suggestions? Am I right to be concerned?

Thanks,

John

John Miller

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

John Miller

Eric Tonks

Strange, most of the modern wall ovens that I have seen have a multi-wire
cable that connects to a small circuit breaker box that is dedicated to the
oven, this eliminates the problem of supplying fuses or breakers in the oven
design. The supply line connects to the breaker box, not directly with the
wall oven cable.

"John Miller" wrote in message
I've got a house that's around 55 years old, we're replacing the
original oven (yes it lasted 55 years). The old oven was hardwired in
a junction box with a 3 wire connection, the house wire appears to be
copper. The new oven (Frigiidaire) came with a 4 wire aluminum supply
line. I know it's permissible to connect to a 3 wire service however
the aluminum to copper connection bothers me. Frankly I don't
understand why they didn't just wire the oven with copper but I guess
that's why I don't design ovens.

Any suggestions? Am I right to be concerned?

Thanks,

John

John Miller

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

John Grabowski

They are correct. My mistake. Article 250.140 of the 2002 National
Electrical Code (NFPA 70) does permit this for "Existing" branch circuit
installations of ranges, ovens, and clothes dryers. New installations
require 4 wires.

I suggest that you read the above mentioned article as it is only
permissible under the conditions outlined.

Using a range receptacle and plug is best. It makes it easier for servicing
purposes. I am not sure that using 55 year old wiring is the best way to go
though.

wrote:

[...]

---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via

Encryption
=---

John Miller

News==----
Newsgroups

=---

volts500

"John Miller" wrote in message
Actually the manufacturer is who said it was ok to connect a 4 wire
supply to a 3 wire house circuit.

I hope the oven frame gets bonded to the neutral at the terminal block (with
the factory bonding jumper)......... and the 4-wire cord is replaced with a
3-wire cord?

John Grabowski

Then you must follow the manufacturer's instructions while remaining code
compliant.

wrote in message
On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 16:54:24 GMT, "John Grabowski"
wrote:

Using a range receptacle and plug is best. It makes it easier for

servicing
purposes. I am not sure that using 55 year old wiring is the best way to

go
though.

Can you use a receptacle and plug for a wall oven - the installation
instructions that came with mine SPECIFICALLY said that you should NOT
do this!

Wade Lippman

wrote:

Using a range receptacle and plug is best. It makes it easier for

servicing
purposes. I am not sure that using 55 year old wiring is the best way to

go
though.

Can you use a receptacle and plug for a wall oven - the installation
instructions that came with mine SPECIFICALLY said that you should NOT
do this!

I don't think you can install a receptacle on 3 wire. That would be an
improvement and require updating to 4 wire. Wouldn't it?