John

Default Bosch bye-bye

Plant in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

Richard Clements

John wrote:

in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

wasn't Bosch a Germen Company to start with?
J. Clarke

Richard Clements wrote:

John wrote:

in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

wasn't Bosch a Germen Company to start with?

While the company was German, the tools weren't always made there. The
nameplate on my Bosch jigsaw, bought sometime around 1980, says "Scintilla
SA, Soleure Switzerland".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Charlie Self

Richard Clements asks:

John wrote:

in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

wasn't Bosch a Germen Company to start with?

Bosch was German; Skil was American. The Heber Springs plant, when I visited it
a few years ago, was Skil only as the buyout/merger/whatever had not taken
place at that time.

Charlie Self
"Giving every man a vote has no more made men wise and free than Christianity
has made them good." H. L. Mencken
LRod

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 13:07:58 -0500, "J. Clarke"
wrote:

Richard Clements wrote:

John wrote:

in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

wasn't Bosch a Germen Company to start with?

While the company was German, the tools weren't always made there. The
nameplate on my Bosch jigsaw, bought sometime around 1980, says "Scintilla
SA, Soleure Switzerland".

Omigod!! Those damnable German industrialists, outsourcing all those
jobs to the Swiss!

(NB: The statement struck me funny and I thought this might be a
clever rejoinder. It does NOT necessarily reflect any political
beliefs I may have on the subject.)

- -
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

http://www.woodbutcher.net

Leon

"John" wrote in message
Plant in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

Now you know how the German's felt when Bosch started manufacturing in the
US.

AAvK

Plant in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

Isn't anything of power tools or stationary tools made in our own USA???

Alex

patrick conroy

"Richard Clements" wrote in message

John wrote:

in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

wasn't Bosch a Germen Company to start with?

Bosch Tools is part of the Robert Bosch Gmbh. A huge international
conglomerate headquartered in Germany. See www.bosch.com for all sorts of
neat tidbits,

Kurt

"AAvK" wrote in news:6jrrd.163512$bk1.73399@fed1read05:

Isn't anything of power tools or stationary tools made in our own USA???

Alex

I started to say "Ron Hock's irons", but I see by their
website that isn't the case all the time now. (Outsourced
to factories in the US and France. Well, seeing "France"
is certainly a change from the normal countries one sees
appended to the phrase "outsourced to".)

Steve Knight's planes (unless things have changed since I
visited him a couple of years ago).

Any tools and jigs that someone had a sudden need to cobble
together in their shop to complete a project. (We'll ignore
how often making the jig took longer to complete than the
project itself... learning experience, right?)

Hmm... that's all I can think of at this point.

Prometheus

On Wed, 01 Dec 2004 23:56:22 -0000, Kurt wrote:

"AAvK" wrote in news:6jrrd.163512$bk1.73399@fed1read05:

Isn't anything of power tools or stationary tools made in our own USA???

Alex

I started to say "Ron Hock's irons", but I see by their
website that isn't the case all the time now. (Outsourced
to factories in the US and France. Well, seeing "France"
is certainly a change from the normal countries one sees
appended to the phrase "outsourced to".)

Steve Knight's planes (unless things have changed since I
visited him a couple of years ago).

Any tools and jigs that someone had a sudden need to cobble
together in their shop to complete a project. (We'll ignore
how often making the jig took longer to complete than the
project itself... learning experience, right?)

Hmm... that's all I can think of at this point.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...can+made+tools

11,100,000 hits on Google. They're still around, they're just not at
the Walmart, and you have to look for the small production shops.
They cost more, and are less widely advertised. Sometimes you get
what you pay for, sometimes you don't. But just because you don't see
them at Sears or Costco doesn't mean they don't exist!

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

patriarch

Steve Knight's planes (unless things have changed since I
visited him a couple of years ago).

And Steve gets some of his irons from Japan. Technically outsourcing, even
though it's for a 'premium priced' upgrade.

Patriarch,
whose Padauk high angle smoother is on it's way from Steve's workshop as we
impatiently wait...
Mike Marlow

"LRod" wrote in message

(NB: The statement struck me funny and I thought this might be a
clever rejoinder. It does NOT necessarily reflect any political
beliefs I may have on the subject.)

Thank God - we don't need no more political threads starting up here.

--

-Mike-

Edwin Pawlowski

"Leon" wrote in message
. com...

"John" wrote in message
Plant in Heber Springs Arkansas (Bosch and Skil circular saws) moving
production to (SURPRISE!) China. 500 jobs.

Now you know how the German's felt when Bosch started manufacturing in the
US.

Often it is done (overseas) with good reason. Here is a real life scenario
November 15 request quotation from American company and Korean Company
November 16 AM received quotation from Korea
November 16 PM placed order with Korean Company for tooling at a cost of
$5400 + freight and duty for a landed cost of about $7000.

December 1st. (today)
Received notice from Korean company that tooling is complete and ready to
ship
Received quotation from American company stating cost will be $14,800 and
delivery in 6 to 8 weeks.

Quality of the two sets of tooling is equal, same materials, same
specifications.

Ian Dodd

Isn't anything of power tools or stationary tools made in our own USA???

Alex

Why should it be? In a country where consumers demand low prices and
don't give a damn about quality, Wal Mart fills the bill and has
become the largest retailer on earth. Why should Bosch behave any
differently? From a business standpoint, they're doing the perfectly
rational thing.

Ian
Steve Knight

And Steve gets some of his irons from Japan. Technically outsourcing, even
though it's for a 'premium priced' upgrade.

Patriarch,
whose Padauk high angle smoother is on it's way from Steve's workshop as we
impatiently wait...

as if anyone in the US could make them (G) but then you could claim my tropical
woods are out sourcing too (G) but still 90% of my planes are all made in the US
using slave labor.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

patriarch

Steve Knight wrote in
:

And Steve gets some of his irons from Japan. Technically outsourcing,
even though it's for a 'premium priced' upgrade.

Patriarch,
whose Padauk high angle smoother is on it's way from Steve's workshop
as we impatiently wait...

as if anyone in the US could make them (G) but then you could claim my
tropical woods are out sourcing too (G) but still 90% of my planes are
all made in the US using slave labor.

Entrepeneur = slave labor? As in, working for little to nothing? And
everybody else gets paid first?

Like JOAT says: "Where's my T shirt?"

But at least, you're both beloved and world-famous. That's gotta count for
something.

Patriarch
Leon

"Kurt" wrote in message
I started to say "Ron Hock's irons", but I see by their
website that isn't the case all the time now. (Outsourced
to factories in the US and France. Well, seeing "France"
is certainly a change from the normal countries one sees
appended to the phrase "outsourced to".)

Steve Knight's planes (unless things have changed since I
visited him a couple of years ago).

Any tools and jigs that someone had a sudden need to cobble
together in their shop to complete a project. (We'll ignore
how often making the jig took longer to complete than the
project itself... learning experience, right?)

Hmm... that's all I can think of at this point.

Umm, which of the 2 that you listed would YOU consider to be a "power tool
or stationary tool? LOL

AAvK

I started to say "Ron Hock's irons", but I see by their
website that isn't the case all the time now. (Outsourced
to factories in the US and France. Well, seeing "France"
is certainly a change from the normal countries one sees
appended to the phrase "outsourced to".)
Steve Knight's planes (unless things have changed since I
visited him a couple of years ago).
Any tools and jigs that someone had a sudden need to cobble
together in their shop to complete a project. (We'll ignore
how often making the jig took longer to complete than the
project itself... learning experience, right?)
Hmm... that's all I can think of at this point.

I'm talking about *power tools*. Millwaukee? Porter Cable? Anything?
Alex

AAvK

And Steve gets some of his irons from Japan. Technically outsourcing, even
though it's for a 'premium priced' upgrade.

Patriarch, That's a GOOD thing, even at Steve's price. Japanese laminated blades, desireable.

Alex