Lobby Dosser

Default New Woodcraft Magazine

Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the first
issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it may be a
keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one of them David
Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

LD
Joe

Do they have a web site?

--

Joe - V#8013 - '86 VN750 - joe @ yunx .com
Northern, NJ

Born once - Die twice. Born twice - Die only once. Your choice...

Have unwanted music CDs or DVDs of any type? I can use them for our
charity. eMail me privately for details. Donation receipts available.

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the first
issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it may be a
keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one of them David
Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

LD

Lobby Dosser

"Joe" wrote:

Do they have a web site?

http://www.woodcraftmagazine.com/

Put out by Woodcraft - www.woodcraft.com
bob

I got an invitation to subscribe, but am struggling with $38 for 6 issues.
Paying less than that for other mags of similar quality.

What do you guys think of the cost?

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the first
issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it may be a
keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one of them David
Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

LD

Lobby Dosser

"bob" wrote:

I got an invitation to subscribe, but am struggling with $38 for 6
issues. Paying less than that for other mags of similar quality.

What do you guys think of the cost?

I haven't seen the subscription cost yet. Filled out a form on Woodcraft
web site a couple months ago. They said the first issue was free and
they'd bill me. If I didn't want to continue Ic could write 'Cancel' on
the bill. If they're looking for $38 for six issues, I'll be writing
'Cancel'. My $38 will be better spent picking up issues of other
magazines when they have something that interests me.

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the
first issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it
may be a keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one
of them David Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for
me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

LD

dteckie

Lobby Dosser wrote in message news:H69rd.5917$6o5.3350@trnddc08...
Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the first
issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it may be a
keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one of them David
Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

LD

The $38 for 6 issues is steep price compared to other mags. I'll just
stick to my present mags.

Andy Dingley

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08:55:13 -0500, "Makinwoodchips"
wrote:

I can get more use out of $38 of wood than $38 of paper.

Youre paying for the ink, not the paper. But for that price they'd
better be writing something pretty good with it.

Where I buy my FWW they're always apologising for its high cost. Now
it's a good magazine and I don't mind paying for it. How's it seen in
the USA though ? Do you think it's "expensive" ? Too expensive to
bother with ?

--
Smert' spamionam
Richard Clements

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 08opular0500, "Makinwoodchips"
wrote:

I can get more use out of $38 of wood than $38 of paper.

Youre paying for the ink, not the paper. But for that price they'd
better be writing something pretty good with it.

Where I buy my FWW they're always apologising for its high cost. Now
it's a good magazine and I don't mind paying for it. How's it seen in
the USA though ? Do you think it's "expensive" ? Too expensive to
bother with ?

it's out of the price range I'm willing to pay, I like wood, and popular
wood working a friend gave me a subscription to woodsmith, I really like
it, just wish it was a little cheaper.
Lobby Dosser

wrote:

I can get more use out of $38 of wood than $38 of paper.

Youre paying for the ink, not the paper. But for that price they'd
better be writing something pretty good with it.

Where I buy my FWW they're always apologising for its high cost. Now
it's a good magazine and I don't mind paying for it. How's it seen in
the USA though ? Do you think it's "expensive" ? Too expensive to
bother with ?

It's expensive. I read it at the library and, if needed, borrow it when
it is no longer their current issue.

If this new magazine does turn out to be $38 for me, I will cancel before
paying. It seems pretty good, but not that good, particularly since it is
a house organ.

Bill Wallace

I think FWW is pretty respected in the US. It is surely among, (if not
the) most expensive magazine on the rack but their circ is still very
impressive 200k paid subs and 100k off the rack every issue.

BW

wrote:

I can get more use out of $38 of wood than $38 of paper.

Youre paying for the ink, not the paper. But for that price they'd
better be writing something pretty good with it.

Where I buy my FWW they're always apologising for its high cost. Now
it's a good magazine and I don't mind paying for it. How's it seen in
the USA though ? Do you think it's "expensive" ? Too expensive to
bother with ?

Tom O'Connor

There is a cupon in the first issue for 37% off or $29.97 for the six
issues. It does look alot like FWW

Slowhand

"Lobby Dosser" wrote in message
Fell for the promo for this a couple months back and just got the first
issue in the mail. So far I've just done a quick scan, but it may be a
keeper. Projects (4), couple articles about woodworkers (one of them David
Marks), usual tips, etc, not dumbed down (at least for me).

Anyone else seen it yet?

Hoping to soon. I just sent in my trial issue card a week ago.
SH

A.J. Hamler

Hi everyone ...

The correct subscription price for Woodcraft Magazine is $29.97 for
one year.

And, no, it's not a "house organ," whatever that is.

The magazine is a standalone publication of Dovetail Media, which, in
turn, is a division of Woodcraft Supply Corp. One of the things I
insisted upon before accepting the job of editor-in-chief is that the
magazine have its own identity, and not be merely an extension of the
retail division, or a "magalog." Sure, a lot of the tools and
supplies that appear in projects and product reviews are sold in the
Woodcraft stores, catalogs and retail Web site -- Woodcraft sells a
ton of the best woodworking stuff around, so it'd be difficult for
this not to be the case. However, editorially speaking, I am in no
way directed by the retail division, and things will also be covered
in the magazine that they *don't* sell (the Triton drill that appears
in the first issue, for example, is not available at Woodcraft;
likewise, none of the required supplies to build the P.O. Box coin
bank project are available at Woodcraft -- and their sources, some of
whom are Woodcraft competitors, are listed). Quite a few people here
on the forum know my background from when I edited Woodshop News, and
can vouch for my editorial integrity.

My main reason for this post was to address some of the questions that
have come up in this thread, and I hope I have. Feel free to ask any
other questions you like. Also, let me reiterate what an earlier
poster said, and that is that I am very eager to get reader input for
the magazine. *Every* feature and department is open to freelancers
-- we pay well for tool reviews, profiles, project articles,
everything. Send photos of your work to our Show Off gallery, send in
your tips (we pay for them, too), and your questions for the Ask The
Expert department. My e-mail should be attached to this post, so feel
free to inquire about our needs and ask for our writers' guidelines.

Finally, at the risk of sounding like I'm plugging a product that I'm
extremely proud of (which I am, 'natch g), I hope everyone will at
least give the magazine a try.

Thanks!

A.J.

wrote:

I can get more use out of $38 of wood than $38 of paper.

Youre paying for the ink, not the paper. But for that price they'd
better be writing something pretty good with it.

Where I buy my FWW they're always apologising for its high cost. Now
it's a good magazine and I don't mind paying for it. How's it seen in
the USA though ? Do you think it's "expensive" ? Too expensive to
bother with ?

It's expensive. I read it at the library and, if needed, borrow it when
it is no longer their current issue.

If this new magazine does turn out to be $38 for me, I will cancel before
paying. It seems pretty good, but not that good, particularly since it is
a house organ.

Lee Gordon

There is a cupon in the first issue for 37% off or $29.97 for the six
issues.

As people are beginning to discover, magazine cover prices are a bit like
manufacturers suggested retail prices. IOW, almost nobody actually ends up
paying the "list price." The $29.97 price works out to 5 bucks an issue
and, in fact, Woodcraft has updated the magazine website to indicate that
this is now the normal subscription rate.
But I understand that some people have gotten discount coupons promising a
subscription for as little as $19.97. I suspect that if you call the 800
number and tell the operator that you have heard that people are able to
subscribe for $19.97 and ask nicely, they'll give that rate to you as well.
If they ask you for a promotion code, tell them "05TDMD." I don't know what
it means but that's what's on the $19.97 coupon.

Lee

Lobby Dosser

(A.J. Hamler) wrote:

Hi everyone ...

The correct subscription price for Woodcraft Magazine is $29.97 for
one year.

And, no, it's not a "house organ," whatever that is.

A house organ (a publication owned by a manufacturer or retailer and
aimed at improving sales) is what it might be were it not for the
statements you make in the next paragraph.

[...]

I hope Woodcraft follows through.

Snips