Allen Windhorn

Default Gloat, somewhat belated

My father got a good offer on his house, and he's cleaning out in
preparation for moving to an apartment. So he's bringing down boxes
of stuff from the attic for us to haul off, and one of them is full of
planes, including molding planes, a couple of routers, and a
tongue-and-groove plane. I presume they were Grandpa's, so they've
been up in the attic the last 40 years or more, and Dad KNOWS I do
woodworking. On the other hand, I may finally be old enough to
actually appreciate them and have some idea how to use them.

Unfortunately, most of the blades are badly rusted and pitted. Can
they be ground down to a new surface, or will they have to be
replaced? Do I go to a blacksmith for that? Or just use them for
decoration?

Regards,
Allen
--
Allen Windhorn (507) 345-2782 FAX (507) 345-2805
Kato Engineering (Though I do not speak for Kato)

On 24 Nov 2004 16:49:13 -0600, Allen Windhorn
wrote:

My father got a good offer on his house, and he's cleaning out in
preparation for moving to an apartment. So he's bringing down boxes
of stuff from the attic for us to haul off, and one of them is full of
planes, including molding planes, a couple of routers, and a
tongue-and-groove plane. I presume they were Grandpa's, so they've
been up in the attic the last 40 years or more, and Dad KNOWS I do
woodworking. On the other hand, I may finally be old enough to
actually appreciate them and have some idea how to use them.

Unfortunately, most of the blades are badly rusted and pitted. Can
they be ground down to a new surface, or will they have to be
replaced? Do I go to a blacksmith for that? Or just use them for
decoration?

Regards,
Allen

they're completely ruined.

send them to me for disposal.....

they may or may not be salvageable. I'd ask somebody in your area with
some expertise. try the yellow pages for sharpening shops, or find a
woodworking club with some old guys who have used these tools before.
don't let anybody grind on them until you're sure they have a clue....

alternatively, take pictures, lots of pictures, and post them on
alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking. we'll see what we can come up with.
Andy Dingley

wrote:

Unfortunately, most of the blades are badly rusted and pitted. Can
they be ground down to a new surface, or will they have to be
replaced?

Electrolytic derusting, then sharpen. Googling this newsgroup will
reveal all.
--
Smert' spamionam
patriarch

Allen Windhorn wrote in
:

My father got a good offer on his house, and he's cleaning out in
preparation for moving to an apartment. So he's bringing down boxes
of stuff from the attic for us to haul off, and one of them is full of
planes, including molding planes, a couple of routers, and a
tongue-and-groove plane. I presume they were Grandpa's, so they've
been up in the attic the last 40 years or more, and Dad KNOWS I do
woodworking. On the other hand, I may finally be old enough to
actually appreciate them and have some idea how to use them.

Unfortunately, most of the blades are badly rusted and pitted. Can
they be ground down to a new surface, or will they have to be
replaced? Do I go to a blacksmith for that? Or just use them for
decoration?

Congratulations on the passing of the tools, and the heritage that goes
with it.

Try dropping by woodcentral.com, in the hand tools sections, both the
messages and the articles. There's a lot of good maintenance & cleanup
information there.

As the others have said, don't be in a big hurry with these. They don't
need to be really beautiful in order to work well. Some of the drastic
measures aren't needed, and dramatically reduce the value.

Worst case, you can buy excellent replacement blades from a number of mail
order or local suppliers. If they are Stanleys, you may even be able to
get some parts from Stanley.

Patriarch

wrote:

My father got a good offer on his house, and he's cleaning out in
preparation for moving to an apartment. So he's bringing down boxes
of stuff from the attic for us to haul off, and one of them is full of
planes, including molding planes, a couple of routers, and a
tongue-and-groove plane. I presume they were Grandpa's, so they've
been up in the attic the last 40 years or more, and Dad KNOWS I do
woodworking. On the other hand, I may finally be old enough to
actually appreciate them and have some idea how to use them.

Unfortunately, most of the blades are badly rusted and pitted. Can
they be ground down to a new surface, or will they have to be
replaced? Do I go to a blacksmith for that? Or just use them for
decoration?

Regards,
Allen

They're obviously totally ruined. Nothing you can do with them. So
just send me the whole box and I'll figure out some clever way to
recycle them as living room decor.

Oh yeah. You suck!

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

My Old Tools

Pick up Mike Dunbar's book on restoring and using old tools. He provides
alot of detail on wooden hand planes and how to make them work, including
making blades.

--
Ross
www.myoldtools.com
"Allen Windhorn" wrote in message
[...]

Allen Windhorn

Thanks to all for the fine advice. I'll look carefully at the book(s)
and website(s) mentioned. If I'm going to own them, I'm going to
learn to sharpen, tune, and use them.

The blades in these, at least, may be home-made -- they look pretty
crude.

One seems to be for cutting a groove inside of something round like a
barrel rim. It has a couple extra "parting" blades on it.

I'm going to take pictures and post them in hopes someone can identify
them.

Thanks again.

Regards,
Allen