Default New DW706, can you check your tolerances please?

I got a reconditioned DW 706 dual bevel 12" miter at the Denver WW
show for 209 + tax. I was seriously considering the Delta 36-412 or
Bosch equivalent, but for that price, the bells and whistles were not
worth it. However..

I sat it on the bench and pulled out the engineer square to make some
adjustments. I also put a dial indicator next to the blade to check
runout. What I found was surpising. Can you comment or check yours..

The runout on the blade is .010 I don't know if this is runout of the
arbor or the blade. I'm guessing mostly the 12" blade, but I may try
to check the arbor.

The fences are not perpendicular to the table by probably 1 - 3
degrees. The fence is nearly perpendicular to the stationary part of
the table, but not to the rotating portion of table. Neither left nor
right side are perpendicular. Near as I can tell, the rotating table
is tilted just slightly.

0 and 45 bevel and 0 and 45 miter are not quite correct either, but I
should be able to adjust that.

I suppose the blade runout is not too bad, but the fence to table not
being perpendicular seems to be a difficult issue to overcome. Isn't
that going to give me ulcers when trying to cut larger pieces? A flat
45 miter is actually going to have a slight bevel in it??

Am I being too picky? Is this normal? I'll check the ones in the
local stores, but wanted to get your comments.

ToolKing, by the way was selling these for $229 at the show. I asked
for a little off the display model. If I find this to be out of spec,
I'm pretty sure they will replace it.

Tom

Trout wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a tune-up is in order. I'd worry most about getting a square cut
perpendicular to the fence and table to start with. The table to base
squareness can be shimmed true, providing the fence is flat. Tom
Work at your leisure!

I think you are suggesting truing up the miter to be 0 degrees
(actually 90). That should be easy enough, but that blade runout is
going to bite me.

Getting the table (rotating portion) to be perpendicular to the fence
is another story. Near as I can tell the issue is the rotating table
is tilted slightly from front (high) to back (low). Thus the fixed
table to fence is perpendicular, but the rotating table to fence is
not. I cannot shim the fence, because then it would bring the fixed
table to fence out of perpendicular. The fence does appear to be
flat.

Truth is, with this cast aluminum (yes?) frame, there is going to be
quite a bit of flex. I'm curiuos not to take some measurments from
other saws.

so what you are saying it go have some Turkey and worry about this
later ;-)

have a good Thanksgiving..

shimming the insert.. mmm.. interesting.. i'll have to go see