Electronics (alt.electronics)

Karl Timmermann

Default Need special check valve or water pump

Hello,

I am trying to finish my electric bilge pump for my kayak. At first, I was
thinking electronic valves, but I found that they will not do the job for
me. They are too big and expensive, among other things.

So, I am asking for your help - I need one of these two things (either, not
both):

1.) Either 3/4 inch, 1 inch, 1 1/8 inch (ideal) check valve. The check valve
must be small, semi cheap, seal perfectly when closed (not ONE drip), and be
able to open with the slightest pressure (just a dribble of water pushing up
from the pump)

[or]

2.) A 3/4 inch or 1 1/8 inch 12 volt electric water pump (about 800-1000
gallons per hour) that needs to be pretty light. The pump MUST not let ONE
drip of water back through it when off. This means it will act as a check
valve. I had bought one at West Marine, where they told me it didn't let any
water back, but it does. :-(

Thanks for your help!

Karl

Rick

Karl Timmermann wrote:

I am trying to finish my electric bilge pump for my kayak.

A Google search will turn up a herd of manufacturers of plastic check
valves and nearly all of them have a simple little diaphragm check valve
that will suit your needs.

If you want to prevent the water between the pump and the thru-hull from
draining back into the bilge you will need to mount the check valve
directly on the pump discharge fitting.

This isn't an electronics problem, it is a simple application of an
easily obtained mechanical component installed in the correct place.

Rick

Rich Grise

"Karl Timmermann" wrote in message

2.) A 3/4 inch or 1 1/8 inch 12 volt electric water pump (about 800-1000
gallons per hour) that needs to be pretty light. The pump MUST not let ONE
drip of water back through it when off. This means it will act as a check
valve. I had bought one at West Marine, where they told me it didn't let

any
water back, but it does. :-(

If the thing doesn't operate the way they said it's supposed to, then
it's a defective unit and needs to be replaced by the store. It's called
implied merchantability.

Good Luck!
Rich