Swingman

wrote in message

Another once proud name reduced to junk by the bean counters.

Pithy, and worthy of framing.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 11:50:57 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

wrote in message

Another once proud name reduced to junk by the bean counters.

Pithy, and worthy of framing.

Tragic, I calls it. But then we live in 'interesting' times.

I wonder if Dante reserved a special circle in Hell for the bean
counters. And if so I have to wonder what the appropriate punishment
for that species of vermin might be.

Uncharitable thoughts this close to Christmas.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

patriarch

wrote in
:

Well, SWMBO started out with the same question we hear so often in
this NG.

Where are you and what are you trying to do?

Just northeast of Oakland, CA. She wants to do machine quilting, on queen
and king sized machine-pieced quilts.

Are you looking for a conventional sewing machine, a sewing-embroidery
machine, an upholstery machine, a quilting machine, etc.?

She has a Quilter's Companion, by Janome, that we bought 15 months ago at
Meissner's in Sacramento. She wants a bit more reach under the arm, for
bigger quilts.

How heavy is the material you're going to be sewing? How big are the
pieces. What do you need in the way of special stiches, etc., etc.,
etc.

I don't know all the terms, but she uses woolen(?) batting, and high
quality, all cotton materials from the finer suppliers. We see about 6 or
8 quilt shows a year, and she always brings home a couple of bags of
fabric.

And she watches Alex Andersen almost like LRod watches Norm. TiVo can do
that for you / to you.

For conventional machines my wife swears by Viking/Huskvarna. She's
bought three of them and we will have all of them. (She also has an
overlock machine and two bedrooms in our three-bedroom house are
cutting and sewing rooms, and there's fabric everywhere, but those are
different issues.)

My wife doesn't really do much else in the way of sewing. Our kids are
grown, and the grandson grows too fast to keep up with making him much.
Macy's is so much simpler.

Conversely, stay away from any Singer made in the last 20 years.
Another once proud name reduced to junk by the bean counters.

So we had heard.

Once we've got all that settled, she can probably give you some pretty
good advice on used machines.

Looking forward to it.
Joe Wells

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:46:23 +0000, rcook5 wrote:

snip
For conventional machines my wife swears by Viking/Huskvarna. She's bought
three of them and we will have all of them. (She also has an overlock
machine and two bedrooms in our three-bedroom house are cutting and sewing
rooms, and there's fabric everywhere, but those are different issues.)

I'm going to go give SWMBO a big hug for only being into making bead
jewelry.

--
Joe Wells

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 18:26:00 -0600, Joe Wells
wrote:

I'm going to go give SWMBO a big hug for only being into making bead
jewelry.

Oh really ? 8-)
http://www.ozziebuddy.com

We don't have _all_ the fun toys.

Larry Jaques

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 15:24:19 +0000, Andy Dingley
calmly ranted:

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 17:38:43 GMT, wrote:

For quilting work you get a long-arm quilting machine. Think a sewing
machine mounted on a big frame with an XY drive. Think ten grand or
so.

I'm tempted by this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...73828 42&rd=1

Take a look at the welds on this beauty:

-- Friends Don't Let Friends Eat Turkey and Drive --

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:35:07 GMT, patriarch
wrote:

wrote in
:

[...]

Great. She's out teaching a quilting class right now, but when she
gets back this evening I'm sure she'll have some suggestions.

--RC

Sleep? Isn't that a totally inadequate substitute for caffine?

Joe Wells

wrote:

I'm going to go give SWMBO a big hug for only being into making bead
jewelry.

Oh really ? 8-)
http://www.ozziebuddy.com

We don't have _all_ the fun toys.

She's into weaving with the tiny "seed beads', she doesn't make her
own (yet). She's quite serious about it, but has only taken
over one room thus far. She's even won a few awards.

Thankfully, her hobby/obsession doesn't require machinery, carbide tipped
anything, or open flame ;^).

--
Joe Wells

Joe Woody Woodpecker

Seems to me 520 bd ft red oak for $100 is a good day too.

--
Woody

Check out my Web Page at:

http://community-1.webtv.net/Woodwor...workerJoesInfo

Where you will find:

******** How My Shop Works ******** 5-21-03

* * * Build a $20 DC Separator Can Lid. 1-14-03
* * * DC Relay Box Building Plans. 1-14-03
* * * The Bad Air Your Breath Everyday.1-14-03
* * * What is a Real Woodworker? 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Definitions. 2-8-03
* * * Murphy's Woodworking Laws. 4-6-03
* * * What is the true meaning of life? 1-14-03
* * * Woodworker Shop Signs. 2-8-03

Patrick Olguin

Larry Jaques wrote in message . ..

While I was in town, I dropped in to visit with Star Supply, the current
domain holder of Shellac.net (I don't know the history, and it's not my
business.) I met Ann, who has run the place for decades, and she was very
sorry to have to disappoint me, and have me wait for three to four weeks
for more of the dewaxed platinum, made famous here by the previous owner of
said shellac domain (and the fellow responsible for my buying that 24"
Stanley monster in my shop ;-)) Nice people, making a living in an out of
the way corner of the world that thrives on wood working.

Is O'Deen still miffed at them?

*sigh*

That would be the equivalent of allowing them to live in my head
rent-free all this time. Call it disappointment. They took a
thriving backyard niche business, grossing $6K per month and turned it
into a five hundred dollar per month venture. Make of it what you
will.

I wholly concur with patriarch's trip, however. I have done several
similar trips (including the visit to Hock Mansion), and it's a tough
one to top for scenery, woodDorking, people, etc. in this state. I
even have some redwood burls running around somewheres.

Humbly submitted on this Thanksgiving Eve

O'Deen