max

Default General bandsaw, reconsidered

I posted earlier about how great General bandsaws are and how they were made
in Canada. I have not seen new tools in the last 10 or more years and was
greatly surprised at the new General bandsaw. I actually just bought a
General 18 inch. I saw an ad in the newspaper and went to see it. I was
shocked. Plastic handles, small die cast trunions etc etc.
I put it through it's paces and the saw worked perfectly. I bought it for
$650 with 10 new blades. While I am sure it will work perfectly, it is a far
cry from the 15 and 20 inch we still have in our shop.
Max

Upscale

"max" wrote in message news:BDBD0E82.336E8%

General 18 inch. I saw an ad in the newspaper and went to see it. I was
shocked. Plastic handles, small die cast trunions etc etc.
I put it through it's paces and the saw worked perfectly. I bought it for
$650 with 10 new blades. While I am sure it will work perfectly, it is a

far
cry from the 15 and 20 inch we still have in our shop.

Many things these days have become light and "plastic" oriented. In some
ways it's an improvement, but in others, it's the result of cheaper
production methods. But I agree with you, the weight and heft of a metal
handle feels much more comfortable to me.

Ba r r y

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:28:00 GMT, max wrote:

I posted earlier about how great General bandsaws are and how they were made
in Canada. I have not seen new tools in the last 10 or more years and was
greatly surprised at the new General bandsaw. I actually just bought a
General 18 inch.

Does it say "General International" on the label?

Details matter.

Barry
Eddie Munster

That is a heck of a good price.

Is this it???

http://www.general.ca/product/inter/90260an.html

max wrote:
I posted earlier about how great General bandsaws are and how they were made
in Canada. I have not seen new tools in the last 10 or more years and was
greatly surprised at the new General bandsaw. I actually just bought a
General 18 inch. I saw an ad in the newspaper and went to see it. I was
shocked. Plastic handles, small die cast trunions etc etc.
I put it through it's paces and the saw worked perfectly. I bought it for
$650 with 10 new blades. While I am sure it will work perfectly, it is a far
cry from the 15 and 20 inch we still have in our shop.
Max

Rick Stein

I suspect you saw a Tiawan made General International model. General
Canada only makes 2 different 15" versions (differeing resaw
capacities), and a 20" model. The 18" is probably the Tiawan version.

R.

max wrote:
I posted earlier about how great General bandsaws are and how they were made
in Canada. I have not seen new tools in the last 10 or more years and was
greatly surprised at the new General bandsaw. I actually just bought a
General 18 inch. I saw an ad in the newspaper and went to see it. I was
shocked. Plastic handles, small die cast trunions etc etc.
I put it through it's paces and the saw worked perfectly. I bought it for
$650 with 10 new blades. While I am sure it will work perfectly, it is a far
cry from the 15 and 20 inch we still have in our shop.
Max

Clint

Well, AFAIK, General International machines are made overseas. General (no
International) as made in Canada. I believe they're usually made
heavier/sturdier and are supposed to be better quality (and more expensive).
Having said that, I'm pretty happy with my GI 50-185 contractor saw, which
will be in it's new home this time next week!

Clint

"max" wrote in message
Yup.
I looked it over and it doesn't actually say where it was made.
max

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 21:28:00 GMT, max wrote:

I posted earlier about how great General bandsaws are and how they were

made
in Canada. I have not seen new tools in the last 10 or more years and

was
greatly surprised at the new General bandsaw. I actually just bought a
General 18 inch.

Does it say "General International" on the label?

Details matter.

Barry

Ba r r y

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:35:50 GMT, max wrote:

Yup.
I looked it over and it doesn't actually say where it was made.

General International is General's line of Chiwanese tools.

Barry

max

I initially didn't know it was not made in Canada. When I went to buy it I
noticed plastic handles and commented on them. The owner told me this was an
import. I put the saw through it's tests and was very impressed. I had some
extra handles to replace the plastic ones and now I am very happy.
max

"max" wrote in message
I thought I would rather die than buy another cheap import tool but this
thing works as well as the other General's we have. The performance is
amazing.
max

On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:35:50 GMT, max wrote:

Yup.
I looked it over and it doesn't actually say where it was made.

General International is General's line of Chiwanese tools.

Barry

GE HTS22GBMARWW Digital Controls refrig 22 cu ft.....main bord failure number #3! henrib7 Home Repair 7 June 13th 04 09:30 AM
General Bandsaw 690 Adjustment question Carter Woodworking 3 June 9th 04 12:02 AM
Help with General products GBsCards Woodworking 5 February 19th 04 12:34 AM
Bandsaw Box... jim Woodworking 8 November 1st 03 05:07 PM
Bandsaw Pros and cons John Quinn Woodworking 2 July 15th 03 03:11 AM