Carter

Default General Bandsaw 690 Adjustment question

Hi,

I'm tuning up this bandsaw and I'm not sure of the correct way to
adjust the side and thrust bearings.

When I look at The Bandsaw Book, it gives adjustment instructions for
Cool Blocks and regular guide blocks. It doesn't really mention what
do if you have bearings instead of guide blocks.

As others have observed, while General puts out a quality piece of
equipment, the owner's manual is very economical with its guidance.

I understand that the upper and lower thrust bearings need to be about
1/64" behind the blade to stop the rearward travel of the blade.

What about the side bearings?

Do I also adjust them to the same distance?

Or do I adjust them do they lightly touch the blade?

When I need to clean the bearings, what should I use? (Greaseless
lubricant and old toothbrush?)

Thanks for any help you can offer.
joey

I don't have much to answer. It is truly amazing however ... I was just
coming home for lunch and thinking of posting as to wether I had missed the
part in The Bandsaw Book that talked about bearing guides. I am setting up a
new bandsaw and the instructions are ok but I'd like more details on them .
I've ordered Lonnie Birds book hoping since its a more recent vintage it may
have discussion on bearing guide setup tips
Joe

"Carter" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm tuning up this bandsaw and I'm not sure of the correct way to
adjust the side and thrust bearings.

When I look at The Bandsaw Book, it gives adjustment instructions for
Cool Blocks and regular guide blocks. It doesn't really mention what
do if you have bearings instead of guide blocks.

As others have observed, while General puts out a quality piece of
equipment, the owner's manual is very economical with its guidance.

I understand that the upper and lower thrust bearings need to be about
1/64" behind the blade to stop the rearward travel of the blade.

What about the side bearings?

Do I also adjust them to the same distance?

Or do I adjust them do they lightly touch the blade?

When I need to clean the bearings, what should I use? (Greaseless
lubricant and old toothbrush?)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

John

Most folks recommend that the roller bearings don't quite touch the
blade while running. Many folks advocate using a dollar bill to set
the spacing to the blade.

Bearings should NOT touch nor rotate when the saw is running, or at
worse touch occasionally.

John

On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 16:58:54 GMT, "Carter" wrote:

Hi,

I'm tuning up this bandsaw and I'm not sure of the correct way to
adjust the side and thrust bearings.

When I look at The Bandsaw Book, it gives adjustment instructions for
Cool Blocks and regular guide blocks. It doesn't really mention what
do if you have bearings instead of guide blocks.

As others have observed, while General puts out a quality piece of
equipment, the owner's manual is very economical with its guidance.

I understand that the upper and lower thrust bearings need to be about
1/64" behind the blade to stop the rearward travel of the blade.

What about the side bearings?

Do I also adjust them to the same distance?

Or do I adjust them do they lightly touch the blade?

When I need to clean the bearings, what should I use? (Greaseless
lubricant and old toothbrush?)

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Carter

Thanks for your suggestions.