Jim Weidenfeller

Default Bandsaw

I am in the market for a new bandsaw. Looking for 14". Minimal resaws
although
there may be some in the future.
Recommendations so far include: Delta, Powermatic, Grizzley and Laguna.
Would like to
stay in the $1,000 price range.

Any suggestions from anyone.
Thanks

"Jim Weidenfeller" wrote
I am in the market for a new bandsaw. Looking for 14". Minimal resaws
although there may be some in the future.
Recommendations so far include: Delta, Powermatic, Grizzley and Laguna.
Would like to stay in the $1,000 price range.
Any suggestions from anyone.
Thanks

Jim - If $1000 is your max. I'd go with the Grizzly GO513 17" saw. 12"
resaw and the beef of a 2hp motor. I have the GO555 14 inch and love it. But
if I had a $1K max then the GO513 would be the best value for the money.
Leaves some money to buy some good Timberwolf blades. Check it out at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0513

Jeff

patriarch

"Denny" wrote in
:

"Jim Weidenfeller" wrote in message
I am in the market for a new bandsaw. Looking for 14". Minimal
resaws although
there may be some in the future.
Recommendations so far include: Delta, Powermatic, Grizzley and
Laguna. Would like to
stay in the $1,000 price range.

You should also consider the MiniMax S14 (about $700 plus shipping,
with 8" resaw) and the Jet 16" ($775 delivered into your garage from
Amazon). The Jet has 10" resaw capacity, not as many bells and
whistles but seems pretty solid.

If you don't need the resaw capacity, the Minimax seems a better saw. I
own the Jet 16. The lower blade guides are difficult to reach, without
removing the table.
Unisaw A100

Jim Weidenfeller wrote:
Any suggestions from anyone.

I'd start by camping out on this auction, or one similar
close by you (1).

If it goes in the $200-$600 range you can pretty much feel
you've done very well. With the left over money you could
either set yourself up with a rotary phase convertor or
re-motor it. Later, if you wanted to sell it, you
could/would re-coup what you have/had in it and buy
something else.

Thanks

Not a problem.

(1) They aren't always close by but I'd not ever not
consider a one day "out and back" for that "just right"
machine. For instance,

Some Machines Considered "Just Right"

or
or

It may look as though I favor the Powermatic (I like mine)
but really it's just a matter of available (at this time)
inventory. The underlying theme here is, if you buy a used
machine you can usually recoup your investment and sometimes
more. Buy new and it depreciates before the nice lady at
Master Card/Visa/AmEx charges the charge against your
permanent record.

In My Humble Opinion/Your Mileage May Vary/Don't Ask Me How
I Know This.

UA100
Norman D. Crow

" wrote in message

"Jim Weidenfeller" wrote
I am in the market for a new bandsaw. Looking for 14". Minimal resaws
although there may be some in the future.
Recommendations so far include: Delta, Powermatic, Grizzley and Laguna.
Would like to stay in the $1,000 price range.
Any suggestions from anyone.
Thanks

Jim - If $1000 is your max. I'd go with the Grizzly GO513 17" saw. 12"
resaw and the beef of a 2hp motor. I have the GO555 14 inch and love it.

But
if I had a $1K max then the GO513 would be the best value for the money.
Leaves some money to buy some good Timberwolf blades. Check it out at
http://www.grizzly.com/products/item...emnumber=G0513

I can't speak to the G0513, but the G0555 works very well for me. Installed
the resaw kit, everything still dead on. I've resawed 8-10" stuff(slabs of
quilted material from a Norway Maple stump slab) with it, only bogged down a
couple times when I fed too fast. This was with a Griz 3/4" 3 T.P.I. blade,
no skewing of cut, fence dead on as delivered.

--
Nahmie

Prometheus

On Sat, 06 Nov 2004 21:22:55 GMT, "Jim Weidenfeller"
wrote:

I am in the market for a new bandsaw. Looking for 14". Minimal resaws
although
there may be some in the future.
Recommendations so far include: Delta, Powermatic, Grizzley and Laguna.
Would like to
stay in the $1,000 price range.

Whew... for under $1000, you could get one of those 17" Grizzleys-
possibly a 19", with S&H and all. I don't have one *yet* myself, but
a fellow woodworker in the area has one, and I was checking it out
when helping him build his shop- they're nice peices of machinery for
the price! So far, I don't like Delta for bandsawing, but I only have
a 9" benchtop, so there may be a signifigant increase in quality when
you move to a larger model.

Any suggestions from anyone.
Thanks

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam