Edwin Pawlowski

"Prometheus" wrote in message

I voted for Kerry as a conservative, because Bush hung himself in my
book through his own words and actions.

Did you really vote for Kerry or did you vote against Bush?

We really need a strong, viable, third party.

Prometheus

On 9 Nov 2004 06:14:46 -0800, (David Hall) wrote:

Prometheus wrote in message

If you believe that the fetus is a human being how on earth can you
find any justification for allowing the destruction of millions every year
under your very nose. You would have to feel a little like a German in 1945 or
one of millions of Americans in the early 1800s who didn't think slavery was
right, but they weren't going to anything to stop the southern slave owners
from maintaining that "peculiar institution".

Do you know what the definition of sophistry is? These arguments do
not relate to the original point or object of the example in question.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Yes, I know the definition of sophistry. However, your point is that
we, as a society, cannot impose our morality on others. Yet that is
exactly what the slavery issue was. In the 1700's and early 1800's
millions of (white) americans believed that blacks were less than true
humans. Their morality was that these sub-humans were far better off
as slaves of us good humans than if they were left in the wilds of
Africa, and in any case, they were essentially like any other
domesticated animal and there was nothing morally wrong with keeping
them as slaves. Slowly the moral compass swung and ever larger groups
of (white) americans began to question that morality. Many began to
understand that slavery was wrong (or personally disgusting) but
didn't feel that they could impose their morality on the slave-owning
others. Others (and for a long time a true minority) did feel that
they could impose that morality. At first they imposed (for whatever
reason) only in their own states, but eventually they decided to
impose it completely. That was either the cause of or simply a result
of the Civil War, whichever view you subscribe to. In any case, the
similarities to the abortion issue are plain to me, whether they are
to you or not. I think most of us today from our current perspective
on slavery can agree that we not only had the right, but we had the
obligation, to impose our morals on those who still believed that
blacks were sub-human. Whether the freeing of the slaves would cause
some personal discomfort or even massive loss of economic position was
irrelevant. I feel the same about abortion and I believe that anyone
who believes (on religious or logical grounds) that the fetus is a
human being, should believe that we have an abligation to impose that
morality on those poor souls who don't yet see and understand. The
same whole story can be said for the Jews in Germany example. Call it
sophistry if you want, feel superior if you want, hell even write in
latin if you want, I will continue to believe that your position is as
misguided as someone who knew slavery was wrong but didn't think they
should say that to a slave owner.

See, but I don't *believe* that a fetus is a human being from the day
of conception. Why does it have to be all the way or not at all? An
infant is a human, a fetus in the late stages of development is more
human than not. A blastocyte is almost indistingishable from any
other species. Does it have a soul? Who knows? What IS a soul?
I've met plenty of people that aren't worth any more than a sack of
meat, and a spoiled one at that. The whole deal is a bio-mechanical
process- cattle work the same as you and me, and we eat the damn
things and use their skin for shoes. But they're God's Lil Children
too.

The people who want abortions do not want the potential child. We are
overpopulated enough as it is without forcing drug addicts and
prostitues and 15-year old rape victims to make a stilted
almost-attempt at *raising* a child. Who the **** is going to take
care of it once it's born? Who wants a life where they are hated and
resented for the fact of their existance? You're quite the
humanitarian, damning those darling innocents you love to a life of
neglect and abuse. This is a stupid ****ing argument- you have
children you love, so damn every unloved one to hell on earth because
you *know* you're right. A mass of cells is not a slave. It is not a
Jew. It's a goddamn blob of tissue. Why not let cancer grow and
discover it's potental? After all, that is a mass of human cells as
well. Maybe it has a soul. Maybe trees have souls, and you
shouldn't cut them up to make boxes and armoires.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 09:55:51 -0800, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

In article ,
says...
Crap. The government codifies morality in legislation all the time. Why do you
suppose there are laws against murder, stealing, or perjury?

Because they interfere with the governments ability to maintain order
and protect it's citizensb from each other.

Abortion requires the government to choose between the rights of a
citizen, the pregnant woman, and a fetus that may someday become a
citizen if all goes well. Seems like a simple decision to me.

Anything else requires the government to espouse a religious belief,
which is of course the basis for your arguments.

Thanks, I just got ****ed off at that, but you've got a much better
and more concise answer.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Mark & Juanita

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:37:57 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 03:56:56 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote:

"Prometheus"
"Fletis Humplebacker"

"Nate Perkins"

.... snip

I voted for Kerry as a conservative, because Bush hung himself in my
book through his own words and actions.

I have a really hard time understanding that statement. You voted for
Kerry but are a conservative? I understand how Bush has alienated himself
from conservatives, and he's not covering himself with glory this week
either, appointing a liberal as Attorney General and making intimations of
amnesty for illegal aliens. But how in the world could a conservative
have any delusions that Kerry would be better from a conservative's
viewpoint? Based upon his 20 year Senate history, not to mention that of
his running mate's, what possible reason could you have to believe that he
would be any less of an internationalist statist as president than he has
been as a Senator?

A conservative voting for Badnirak, that I understand, a conservative
voting for Kerry seems a non sequitur

Todd Fatheree

[...]

Right now, I'd give better odds to a tree having a soul than you.

todd

Doug Miller

In article , Prometheus wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:54:41 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus

wrote:

I do not know whether or not a fertilized egg has a soul, and I
personally prefer to err on the side of caution, where caution is
warranted. When a child is delivered whole and viable from a woman's
body, it is no longer a part of her, but an entirely seperate entity,
entitled to the rights granted to any other living individual.

You don't see the inconsistency in your statements here? If you *truly*
believe in erring on the side of caution, then the *only* self-consistent
position is to oppose abortion in all circumstances, precisely because you do
not know if a fertilized egg has a soul. If there is *any* doubt in your mind,
if you believe that there is *any* possibility that it does, then you must
oppose abortion on the grounds that it may be the murder of an innocent life.

No it isn't. It's a very minor issue for me. To be self-consistant,
I need to be morally sure of a thing before commiting to action.
Erring on the side of caution for me is not performing abortions.

Oh, but you don't see a problem with it, if *other* people perform abortions?
IOW, as long as *you* don't personally participate in the killing, you don't
mind if other people do. I see. Very admirable.

I don't believe that women senselessly rush off to the abortion clinic
on a lark, so I must assume that they have very profound reasons for
their decision that I have no right to question. For me (or the
government) to tell them that they absolutely must not have an
abortion, I would have to impose my morality on them- which was the
context in which I mentioned this issue.

I don't believe that people senselessly shoot other people on a lark, so I
must assume that they have very profound reasons for their decision that I
have no right to question. For me (or the government) to tell them that they
absolutely must not shoot another person, I would have to impose my morality
on them.

They probably do, but that is an entirely different issue. A living
person walking down the street is not in a gray area when it comes to
whether or not they are a "person".

But you believe in erring on the side of caution, you said so yourself. So
anything in that "gray area" should be treated as if it is a living person,
because you're not sure if it is or not.

So how are the two situations different?

It's not a cavalier attitude towards the issue, it's respect for the
right of a potential mother to make her own decisions. I have my
opinions on it, but opinions are all they are.

What about respect for the right of the embryo/fetus/infant to life?

You're throwing three titles in there, and that's not correct. An
infant has been delivered.

And a fetus will be, as long as nobody interferes with it. So what? Answer the
question: what about the right of the unborn child to life?

The question of when the fetus becomes human can only be resolved by a
religious or moral decision. The government has no right to make
those decisions for citizens.

Crap. The government codifies morality in legislation all the time. Why do you
suppose there are laws against murder, stealing, or perjury?

You know what, forget it. You care about this a lot more than I do,
and it's useless to sit here and spin my wheels. I could write a
million pages about it, and I'd still be wrong to you, so I'm going to
bow out on this one. I don't agree with you, but that's not always
necessary.

Suit yourself. I hope that you eventually come to recognize the gross
inconsistencies in your position WRT "erring on the side of caution."

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Prometheus wrote:

See, but I don't *believe* that a fetus is a human being from the day
of conception.

Err on the side of caution.

Why does it have to be all the way or not at all?

OK, for the sake of discussion, we'll assume that it doesn't have to be like
that. Fine. Now draw the line. Specify a point at which the fetus becomes a
human being, and explain why it is not a human being before that point but is
one after.

I submit that there are only two logically defensible places where that line
can be drawn: conception, or the commencement of electrical activity in the
brain.

An
infant is a human, a fetus in the late stages of development is more
human than not.

It's human. Period. It ain't a frog, is it?

A blastocyte is almost indistingishable from any other species.

Utterly false. Its DNA is unmistakeably *human* DNA.

Does it have a soul? Who knows? What IS a soul?

Err on the side of caution.

I've met plenty of people that aren't worth any more than a sack of
meat, and a spoiled one at that.

Hmmm.... Is it OK to kill them? Please explain why or why not.

The whole deal is a bio-mechanical
process- cattle work the same as you and me, and we eat the damn
things and use their skin for shoes. But they're God's Lil Children
too.

No, they're not. They're animals. They're not humans.

The people who want abortions do not want the potential child. We are
overpopulated enough as it is without forcing drug addicts and
prostitues and 15-year old rape victims to make a stilted
almost-attempt at *raising* a child.

Straw man, and a damned poor one at that. The vast majority of abortions are
performed for reasons of convenience, or as birth control after the fact.
Cases such as you cite are a small portion of the total; and in any event,
nothing prevents those mothers from giving the babies up for adoption. Nobody
is *ever* "forc[ed]... to make a stilted almost-attempt at raising a child".

Who the **** is going to take
care of it once it's born? Who wants a life where they are hated and
resented for the fact of their existance? You're quite the
humanitarian, damning those darling innocents you love to a life of
neglect and abuse. This is a stupid ****ing argument- you have
children you love, so damn every unloved one to hell on earth because
you *know* you're right.

Preventing abortion is not the same as condeming unwanted, unloved children
"to hell on earth" or "a life of neglect and abuse". Many babies, unwanted by
their biological parents, are adopted into loving homes where they are wanted,
treasured, and given a life that their biological parents could not possibly
have provided.

A mass of cells is not a slave. It is not a
Jew. It's a goddamn blob of tissue.

A blob of tissue that just happens to have a unique and complete set of human
DNA, that needs only a little time and care.

Why not let cancer grow and
discover it's potental? After all, that is a mass of human cells as
well.

Now you're equating fetuses with tumors. You're starting to sound desparate.

Maybe it has a soul. Maybe trees have souls, and you
shouldn't cut them up to make boxes and armoires.

Wow.

--
Regards,

Wes Stewart

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 23:53:16 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

[snip]
|Electing President Bush was a step in that direction. He'll likely nominate
|1-4 justices to the Supreme Court.

And that is the scary part. The country can survive four more years
of Bush. I not sure it can survive the fruitcakes he'll be
nominating.

[snip]

|Excellent red herring. The number of abortions performed due to rape in the
|US are approximately 1% of the total. Frankly, I'm not even in favor of
|abortion in this case, but if it will save the other 99%, I'll take the
|lesser evil. As if it's the unborn child's fault that he/she came into
|being in that way. I don't have much middle ground here...my only concern
|is protecting the innocent unborn. If someone gets inconvenienced by that,
|generally through their own consent, too bad

This is really scary. In the 21st century there are still people
thinking like this---but note how they are predominately men.

Damn girl shouldn't have gotten raped in the first place, now she's
just got to suffer for her sin. Since it was the good Reverend John
that done it, she musta throw'd herself at him. Imagine that little
10-year-old tramp showin' up to Sunday school dressed in that short
little dress, I mean, what's a man gonna do?

Wes Stewart

"However, on religious issues there can be little or no compromise.
There is no position on which people are so immovable as their
religious beliefs. There is no more powerful ally one can claim in a
debate than Jesus Christ, or God, or Allah, or whatever one calls this
supreme being. But like any powerful weapon, the use of God's name on
one's behalf should be used sparingly. The religious factions that are
growing throughout our land are not using their religious clout with
wisdom. They are trying to force government leaders into following
their position 100 percent. If you disagree with these religious
groups on a particular moral issue, they complain, they threaten you
with a loss of money or votes or both. I'm frankly sick and tired of
the political preachers across this country telling me as a citizen
that if I want to be a moral person, I must believe in "A," "B," "C,"
and "D." Just who do they think they are? And from where do they
presume to claim the right to dictate their moral beliefs to me? And I
am even more angry as a legislator who must endure the threats of
every religious group who thinks it has some God-granted right to
control my vote on every roll call in the Senate. I am warning them
today: I will fight them every step of the way if they try to dictate
their moral convictions to all Americans in the name of
"conservatism."

Barry Goldwater

David Hall

[...]

Well, I guess that if you believe that everyone who was ever raised in
an unloving family or who was abandoned as a child or even was abused
would have been better off dead and doesn't "want" their lives then
the possibility of an intelligent discussion is officially past. As I
mentioned in a previous post, my mother was born to an uneducated,
poverty stricken 16 year old in the far backwoods of West Virginia in
1928. That was far before the current enlightened view of society
towards ******* children. Needless to say she didn't have a happy go
lucky childhood through the Depression etc., etc. I dare say it would
make the lives of many unloved poor children of today look happy. Of
course she would have been better off dead. Tell that to her - she is
still alive. Tell that to her 4 children now living reasonably happy
middle class lives. Tell that to her 7 grandchildren now starting
adult lives of their own. Tell that to her 2 little great-grandsons
who dearly love Gramma Hall. Tell that to the thoudsands of kids she
educated as she spent her adult working life as an elementary school
teacher and principal. Yeah, she would have been far better off dead
and the world would have been a far better place had she just been
aborted. As another poster put it better than I could have - I am
giving better odds that a tree has a soul than you right about now.

David Hall
Mark & Juanita

wrote:

[snip]
|Electing President Bush was a step in that direction. He'll likely nominate
|1-4 justices to the Supreme Court.

And that is the scary part. The country can survive four more years
of Bush. I not sure it can survive the fruitcakes he'll be
nominating.

oh puhleeze; yeah, it would be really terrible if a few strict
constitutionists were nominated to offset the Ruthie Ginsbergs who see the
constitution as a document that should only be seen as a guideline and
issue decisions based upon their "social conscience" molding the
constitution to fit the whims of the day.

.... anti-religious rant snipped
Prometheus

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 08:49:00 -0500, Renata
wrote:

Cool map, county by county...

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/

That is a good map, and a lot more realistic than simply turning
things red or blue! Thanks for the link.

Renata

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:05:45 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

There's that Out-Of-Step (tm) line again. Christ, you'd think part of
New England voted 50% for Kerry, and the rest of the country voted
100% for Bush. Almost every state in the nation was split down the
middle. If we're out of step, it's only because we don't don
jackboots and start goosestepping with the fearless leader down the
road to hell.

-snip-

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Prometheus

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 02:52:38 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message

I voted for Kerry as a conservative, because Bush hung himself in my
book through his own words and actions.

Did you really vote for Kerry or did you vote against Bush?

Against Bush. I wouldn't have voted for Kerry on his own merits- if
the election wasn't so close, I would have gone libertarian. I just
picked the lesser of two evils.

We really need a strong, viable, third party.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

wrote:

[...]

The theory was that with a Republican majority in both houses, and no
well-defined policies to push, Kerry would have been an ineffective
president. I'd love for things to get better, but for now, it seems
the best thing to do is to dig in heels, and try to keep things from
moving at all. Once the momentum is stopped, then we can get things
moving the other way.

A conservative voting for Badnirak, that I understand, a conservative
voting for Kerry seems a non sequitur

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Tom Watson

Woodchipz wrote:
It's a shame that probably none of these "Liberal Dilettantes"
will ever teach a kid how to build a bird house.....

Yeah I know what you mean. The goofy *******s are probably off doing
re-hab work with some whiny organization like Habitat for Humanity.

Hoo boy! Some people and what they waste their time on.

Keith (Hello, Is This Thing On?) Bohn

Regards,
Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.)
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1
Tom Watson

Hey B.A.D.,

Since you're so close to Hey B.A.D.,

Since you're so close to Liberon (Mendocino), you might as well take a
relaxing drive up there, see their warehouse, visit Ron Hock (his shop
is near Liberon's storeo on Rte 1), and get then head over and get the
five lb. discount from Ron Ashby at Liberon. He's tons cheaper than
anything you'll find at Woodcraft (they're gonna charge you about
$27-$30 lb. for super blonde), and his stuff is WAY better. And
fresher too. I wouldn't even call the stuff Woodcraft sells flakes.
It's more like crumbs. I ain't saying it's BAD (ewwww, bad pun), but
the stuff from Liberon (aka shellac.net) is freshly air freighted from
India.

Heck if ya order today from Liberon you'd have it in your hands this
weekend I bet. 1-866-DEWAXED

O'Deen
Just say Yes, I'm a semi-commissioned salesman with mouths to feed. (Mendocino), you might as well take a

[...]

Prometheus

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:01:52 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus wrote:

See, but I don't *believe* that a fetus is a human being from the day
of conception.

Err on the side of caution.

By forcing others not to do what they feel they must?

Why does it have to be all the way or not at all?

OK, for the sake of discussion, we'll assume that it doesn't have to be like
that. Fine. Now draw the line. Specify a point at which the fetus becomes a
human being, and explain why it is not a human being before that point but is
one after.

I submit that there are only two logically defensible places where that line
can be drawn: conception, or the commencement of electrical activity in the
brain.

My idea, not belief, is that a human being must have some connection
to it's reality before it is actually alive. When it begins to
observe and think, that is sufficient for me to agree that it should
be protected. I can't draw that line in stone, but it seems to be
somewhere between 10 and 14 weeks, and three months sounds reasonable.
If it is a glob of cells dividing on auto-pilot, I can't believe that
that it is particularly worthy of protection.

An
infant is a human, a fetus in the late stages of development is more
human than not.

It's human. Period. It ain't a frog, is it?

Up to a certain point, they're pretty hard to tell apart without using
DNA. We share an awful lot of DNA with other mammals, so if that is
the gold standard, why aren't other mammals protected?

A blastocyte is almost indistingishable from any other species.

Utterly false. Its DNA is unmistakeably *human* DNA.

Without using DNA. DNA is a blueprint, not life itself.

I've met plenty of people that aren't worth any more than a sack of
meat, and a spoiled one at that.

Hmmm.... Is it OK to kill them? Please explain why or why not.

The short answer is no, because it is illegal.

If it were not, it may be in some cases- our president has been in a
position to prevent the state-sanctioned killing of inmates on
numerous occasions, and I don't believe he was too gung-ho about
pardoning those on death row.

In other instances, it is OK to kill someone who is initiating the use
of physical force against you, intending to cause you serious harm or
death. Sometimes it is necessary to kill another to prevent them from
continuing to kill or trying to kill others. In all cases, they must
initiate the use of force, and killing is the last resort.

The whole deal is a bio-mechanical
process- cattle work the same as you and me, and we eat the damn
things and use their skin for shoes. But they're God's Lil Children
too.

No, they're not. They're animals. They're not humans.

Humans are animals too. What makes humans inherantly better than
animals? I've never had a problem with the great majority of animals,
but there are a whole lot of humans that do nothing good for
themselves or others, and more than a handful that cause a great deal
of harm.

The people who want abortions do not want the potential child. We are
overpopulated enough as it is without forcing drug addicts and
prostitues and 15-year old rape victims to make a stilted
almost-attempt at *raising* a child.

Straw man, and a damned poor one at that. The vast majority of abortions are
performed for reasons of convenience, or as birth control after the fact.
Cases such as you cite are a small portion of the total; and in any event,
nothing prevents those mothers from giving the babies up for adoption. Nobody
is *ever* "forc[ed]... to make a stilted almost-attempt at raising a child".

I'd prefer to err on the side of caution by protecting the cases that
fall into the "straw man" category. The others need to examine their
values for themselves.

Who the **** is going to take
care of it once it's born? Who wants a life where they are hated and
resented for the fact of their existance? You're quite the
humanitarian, damning those darling innocents you love to a life of
neglect and abuse. This is a stupid ****ing argument- you have
children you love, so damn every unloved one to hell on earth because
you *know* you're right.

Preventing abortion is not the same as condeming unwanted, unloved children
"to hell on earth" or "a life of neglect and abuse". Many babies, unwanted by
their biological parents, are adopted into loving homes where they are wanted,
treasured, and given a life that their biological parents could not possibly
have provided.

And many are shuffled from foster-home to foster-home. Many are kept
by unfit parents and mistreated. Being an unwanted child and being
reminded that you are one is far worse than being aborted. It's great
when a child is wanted and treasured, but this isn't always a shiny
pretty world where gumdrops grow on trees and Uncle Reamus sings
Zip-a-dee-do-dah. There is a lot of ugliness all around, and it's not
all abortion-related. You can crusade to save an embryo, but it means
nothing without a corresponding crusade to protect every single child
after it is born. It can't be done. Banning abortion will, in fact,
damn some children to unbearable levels of torment. Why *save* them
for that? Why save them for adoption when there are boat-loads of
foreign babies that need homes?

A mass of cells is not a slave. It is not a
Jew. It's a goddamn blob of tissue.

A blob of tissue that just happens to have a unique and complete set of human
DNA, that needs only a little time and care.

Every seed has the potential to grow, but if they all did, there would
be no room in your garden.

Why not let cancer grow and
discover it's potental? After all, that is a mass of human cells as
well.

Now you're equating fetuses with tumors. You're starting to sound desparate.

Less desperate than ****ed off. I've cooled off a *little* now, but I
don't take kindly to accusations of murder. I've never killed or even
seriously wounded another person (nor have I been a participant in or
witness to an abortion), and being called a murderer is unjust.

Maybe it has a soul. Maybe trees have souls, and you
shouldn't cut them up to make boxes and armoires.

Wow.

Can you say they don't? Can you say a frog or a lizard or a spotted
owl doesn't have a soul? Sometimes you just need to make the call for
yourself- without someone else telling you how you *must* think.
There are derivisions of Bhuddism whose adherants wear gauze over
their mouths to prevent them from inhaling insects and accidentally
killing them. If they were to become the majority, how would you like
it if they picketed your house and told you you were going to hell
because you ate a hamburger? What if they passed a law to make it a
capital crime to swat a fly, or smash a poisonous spider? There are
degrees to everything, and just because a certain percent says
something is so, that doesn't make it true.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Mark & Juanita

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:19:51 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:43:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:02:10 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus
wrote:
Almost every state in the nation was split down the
middle.

Absolutely not true.

Geography does not equal population. Most of those blue counties are
major population centers.

Read what you wrote: "almost every state in the nation was split down the
middle." IOW, nearly 50-50.

That is a false statement. In fact, in 31 of the 51 (including DC) the winning
margin was 10 percentage points or more; in about a dozen of those it was 20
or more. In only two was it less than 1%, and in only a handful was it
less than 5%. [Source: Newsweek, 15 Nov 04]

I'll admit, I had to get to bed when about half of the results were
in. It sure looked like almost all of them closely divided based on
the coverage I was following. Regardless, calling almost half the
people out-of-touch is sickening.

Thing is, that 1/2 the people is a bit misleading. How many votes do you
think Kerry would have gotten, if, instead of all the allegations regarding
Bush's National Guard service and headlines that attempted to link George
Bush directly with Abu Ghraib, missing explosives, and flu vaccine
shortages, the likes of CBS, NBC, ABC, and CNN had led off their evening
newscasts with teasers such as,

"New allegations from the Swift Boat Veterans for truth regarding
presidential hopeful John Kerry's Vietnam service, which he has made a
cornerstone of his campaign arose today when that group of veterans who
served with Mr. Kerry alleged that his service was not as "stellar" as Mr
Kerry has indicated."

or

"He received several purple hearts, but never lost a duty day; John F.
Kerry, who has made his Vietnam service a cornerstone of his qualifications
for the office of president faced new questions today how he could have
received not one, but several purple hearts without having had serious
injuries, one of the criteria normally associated with that honor"

or

"John Kerry, who has made his Vietnam service a cornerstone of his
campaign, saluting the Democratic convention, saying, 'John Kerry,
reporting for duty', faced new questions today asking how someone so highly
decorated could have betrayed his fellow comrades in arms by accusing them
of war atrocities and meeting with the leader of the North Vietnamese in
France in order to influence peace negotiations while his fellow soldiers
were fighting with the forces commanded by Ms Van Thieu."

.... you get the drift. There were numerous opportunities for the press to
be as "unbiased and objective" towards Kerry as they were towards Bush.
However, they chose to lead with forged documents, and file stories that
were in accord with memos to correspondents that indicated how important
the election was and that even though journalists needed to be "fair" there
were times they needed to be more "fair" to one side than the other. The
NYT, LA Times, and other print media were equally as biased in their
reporting as the broadcast media. This certainly influenced more than a
few voters.

The fact that Bush won by as much as he did despite the incessant media
pounding his adminstration was subjected to on a daily basis constitutes a
crushing victory. While the other side was given a pass, where simply
stating, "I will do things better, I have a plan. I can't tell you what
that plan is because I don't know what I'll find when I get into office on
January 20, but I have a plan" was accorded the status of "a major foreign
policy statement", nothing the administration did received any favorable
coverage. Had the press not been firmly in the Kerry camp, often mouthing
the daily talking points from the campaign as if it was news, the margin by
which Bush would have won would very likely have been much higher,
potentially by 10 to 15 points.

Todd Fatheree

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
And that is the scary part. The country can survive four more years
of Bush. I not sure it can survive the fruitcakes he'll be
nominating.

Yeah, we need more activist judges legislating from the bench instead of
interpreting the law as it stands.

Damn girl shouldn't have gotten raped in the first place, now she's
just got to suffer for her sin. Since it was the good Reverend John
that done it, she musta throw'd herself at him. Imagine that little
10-year-old tramp showin' up to Sunday school dressed in that short
little dress, I mean, what's a man gonna do?

Wes Stewart

From red herrings to non sequitors...you're covering all the bases. The
scary part is I'm getting the impression that you're actually as obtuse as
it appears. Get this into your skull...this is not about little girls
getting raped. 99% of the problem has nothing to do with rape. I've
already said I'd concede the rape cases. Done. You wanna talk about the
real problem now...the other 99%?

todd

Todd Fatheree

"Prometheus" wrote in message
My idea, not belief, is that a human being must have some connection
to it's reality before it is actually alive. When it begins to
observe and think, that is sufficient for me to agree that it should
be protected. I can't draw that line in stone, but it seems to be
somewhere between 10 and 14 weeks, and three months sounds reasonable.
If it is a glob of cells dividing on auto-pilot, I can't believe that
that it is particularly worthy of protection.

So, 9 weeks...OK to kill it. 10 weeks, it magically receives rights. Got
it. So, you'd be OK enforcing a ban on abortions after 12 weeks?

If it were not, it may be in some cases- our president has been in a
position to prevent the state-sanctioned killing of inmates on
numerous occasions, and I don't believe he was too gung-ho about
pardoning those on death row.

I realize that you probably won't let a little thing like a fact penetrate
your skull, but Texas governors don't have the power to pardon those on
death row. I always have to chuckle when the death penalty comes up in this
debate. Seems that most pro-abortionists are anti-death penalty.
Translation: kill the innocent and protect the guilty. Personally, I'm also
against the death penalty.

Humans are animals too. What makes humans inherantly better than
animals? I've never had a problem with the great majority of animals,
but there are a whole lot of humans that do nothing good for
themselves or others, and more than a handful that cause a great deal
of harm.

I take it you're a vegan.

And many are shuffled from foster-home to foster-home. Many are kept
by unfit parents and mistreated. Being an unwanted child and being
reminded that you are one is far worse than being aborted. It's great
when a child is wanted and treasured, but this isn't always a shiny
pretty world where gumdrops grow on trees and Uncle Reamus sings
Zip-a-dee-do-dah. There is a lot of ugliness all around, and it's not
all abortion-related. You can crusade to save an embryo, but it means
nothing without a corresponding crusade to protect every single child
after it is born. It can't be done. Banning abortion will, in fact,
damn some children to unbearable levels of torment. Why *save* them
for that? Why save them for adoption when there are boat-loads of
foreign babies that need homes?

Wow. You know what? Let's just kill all babies, because many of them will
have difficult lives. We should spare them of that pain.

Less desperate than ****ed off. I've cooled off a *little* now, but I
don't take kindly to accusations of murder. I've never killed or even
seriously wounded another person (nor have I been a participant in or
witness to an abortion), and being called a murderer is unjust.

How does "facilitator" sound?

Can you say they don't? Can you say a frog or a lizard or a spotted
owl doesn't have a soul?

We're talking about baby humans, not tree frogs.

Sometimes you just need to make the call for
yourself- without someone else telling you how you *must* think.
There are derivisions of Bhuddism whose adherants wear gauze over
their mouths to prevent them from inhaling insects and accidentally
killing them. If they were to become the majority, how would you like
it if they picketed your house and told you you were going to hell
because you ate a hamburger? What if they passed a law to make it a
capital crime to swat a fly, or smash a poisonous spider? There are
degrees to everything, and just because a certain percent says
something is so, that doesn't make it true.

While you were writing the above paragraph, your body's immune defenses
killed millions of bacteria cells. That is, unless lithium interferes with
that in some way. If you suffocate yourself now, you can stop the carnage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
materiari?

todd

WoodMangler

Prometheus did say:

I'll admit, I had to get to bed when about half of the results were
in. It sure looked like almost all of them closely divided based on
the coverage I was following. Regardless, calling almost half the
people out-of-touch is sickening. No one has, as yet, explained just
what we're (the so-called "reality based" community) all out of touch
with. Jesus and his M-16? How do we get back into touch with
*y'all*?

Get real. Jesus, being middle eastern, would obviously prefer the AK-47.

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Doug Miller

In article , Prometheus wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:43:12 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus

wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:02:10 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus
wrote:
Almost every state in the nation was split down the
middle.

Absolutely not true.

Geography does not equal population. Most of those blue counties are
major population centers.

Read what you wrote: "almost every state in the nation was split down the
middle." IOW, nearly 50-50.

That is a false statement. In fact, in 31 of the 51 (including DC) the winning
margin was 10 percentage points or more; in about a dozen of those it was 20
or more. In only two was it less than 1%, and in only a handful was it
less than 5%. [Source: Newsweek, 15 Nov 04]

I'll admit, I had to get to bed when about half of the results were
in. It sure looked like almost all of them closely divided based on
the coverage I was following. Regardless, calling almost half the
people out-of-touch is sickening.

Huh? Who said half the people are out of touch?

No one has, as yet, explained just
what we're (the so-called "reality based" community) all out of touch
with. Jesus and his M-16? How do we get back into touch with
*y'all*?

What on earth are you talking about?

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Prometheus wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:38:47 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus

wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:54:41 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus
wrote:

[...]

It's not particularly admirable to go back to when some women were
getting illegal abortions in back rooms with coat hangers, either.

[...]

[snip rant]

You didn't answer the question.

It's not a cavalier attitude towards the issue, it's respect for the
right of a potential mother to make her own decisions. I have my
opinions on it, but opinions are all they are.

What about respect for the right of the embryo/fetus/infant to life?

You're throwing three titles in there, and that's not correct. An
infant has been delivered.

And a fetus will be, as long as nobody interferes with it. So what? Answer the
question: what about the right of the unborn child to life?

What about it? It has no experiences, no connections to this Earth.
It loses nothing but possibilities- each one of us loses
possibilities every time we make a decision, but that is the price of
existance.

IOW, you just don't care.

Whatever happened to "err on the side of caution"? Those were *your* words,
not mine.

A living person who has seen and felt and tasted the
things of this Earth loses something real- not just a possibility.
Perhaps it does have a soul- but does your faith make the soul so
fragile that it can be destroyed in a clinic? Is your God so unjust
that the decision of a simple human being can damn or destroy that
spark you call the soul with in the space of an hour or a day?

"Err on the side of caution." Your words, not mine.

The question of when the fetus becomes human can only be resolved by a
religious or moral decision. The government has no right to make
those decisions for citizens.

Crap. The government codifies morality in legislation all the time. Why do

you
suppose there are laws against murder, stealing, or perjury?

You know what, forget it. You care about this a lot more than I do,
and it's useless to sit here and spin my wheels. I could write a
million pages about it, and I'd still be wrong to you, so I'm going to
bow out on this one. I don't agree with you, but that's not always
necessary.

Suit yourself. I hope that you eventually come to recognize the gross
inconsistencies in your position WRT "erring on the side of caution."

Terrible that I can't be a one-track zealot.

Even worse that you can't make a consistent, cogent statement of your beliefs.

--
Regards,

Doug Miller

In article , Prometheus wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 14:01:52 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus

wrote:

See, but I don't *believe* that a fetus is a human being from the day
of conception.

Err on the side of caution.

By forcing others not to do what they feel they must?

No, by not killing something that _even_you_ admitted _might_ have a soul.

Why does it have to be all the way or not at all?

OK, for the sake of discussion, we'll assume that it doesn't have to be like
that. Fine. Now draw the line. Specify a point at which the fetus becomes a
human being, and explain why it is not a human being before that point but is
one after.

I submit that there are only two logically defensible places where that line
can be drawn: conception, or the commencement of electrical activity in the
brain.

My idea, not belief, is that a human being must have some connection
to it's reality before it is actually alive. When it begins to
observe and think, that is sufficient for me to agree that it should
be protected. I can't draw that line in stone, but it seems to be
somewhere between 10 and 14 weeks,

Oh, bull**** -- "observe and think" doesn't happen until 10 to 14 YEARS.

and three months sounds reasonable.

OK, you specified the point. Now explain why it is not a human being before
that point, but is one after.

If it is a glob of cells dividing on auto-pilot, I can't believe that
that it is particularly worthy of protection.

That's not an explanation.

An
infant is a human, a fetus in the late stages of development is more
human than not.

It's human. Period. It ain't a frog, is it?

Up to a certain point, they're pretty hard to tell apart without using
DNA. We share an awful lot of DNA with other mammals, so if that is
the gold standard, why aren't other mammals protected?

They're not human.

A blastocyte is almost indistingishable from any other species.

Utterly false. Its DNA is unmistakeably *human* DNA.

Without using DNA. DNA is a blueprint, not life itself.

It's still human, not a dog or a frog.

I've met plenty of people that aren't worth any more than a sack of
meat, and a spoiled one at that.

Hmmm.... Is it OK to kill them? Please explain why or why not.

The short answer is no, because it is illegal.

Why?

If it were not, it may be in some cases- our president has been in a
position to prevent the state-sanctioned killing of inmates on
numerous occasions, and I don't believe he was too gung-ho about
pardoning those on death row.

I'm opposed to capital punishment in most cases, too.

In other instances, it is OK to kill someone who is initiating the use
of physical force against you, intending to cause you serious harm or
death. Sometimes it is necessary to kill another to prevent them from
continuing to kill or trying to kill others. In all cases, they must
initiate the use of force, and killing is the last resort.

Fine -- now how does that justify killing an unborn child?

The whole deal is a bio-mechanical
process- cattle work the same as you and me, and we eat the damn
things and use their skin for shoes. But they're God's Lil Children
too.

No, they're not. They're animals. They're not humans.

Humans are animals too. What makes humans inherantly better than
animals?

We think, we reason, we have souls... I could go on, but if you really think
that humans are no different from lower animals... Wow.

[...]

So for the overwhelming majority of cases in which abortion is performed for
reasons of convenience, your position is "tough luck, fetus, too bad" ?

"Err on the side of caution" means _don't_ kill something that you think might
be a human being.

You really ought to quit, you know -- the farther you take this, the more
inconsistent you become. You're in a hole. Stop digging.

[...]

So rather than work to correct those problems, better that we just kill them
all from the get-go. Lots easier that way, isn't it?

It's great
when a child is wanted and treasured, but this isn't always a shiny
pretty world where gumdrops grow on trees and Uncle Reamus sings
Zip-a-dee-do-dah. There is a lot of ugliness all around, and it's not
all abortion-related. You can crusade to save an embryo, but it means
nothing without a corresponding crusade to protect every single child
after it is born. It can't be done. Banning abortion will, in fact,
damn some children to unbearable levels of torment. Why *save* them
for that? Why save them for adoption when there are boat-loads of
foreign babies that need homes?

You're in a hole. Stop digging. You're making yourself look like a lunatic.

A mass of cells is not a slave. It is not a
Jew. It's a goddamn blob of tissue.

A blob of tissue that just happens to have a unique and complete set of human
DNA, that needs only a little time and care.

Every seed has the potential to grow, but if they all did, there would
be no room in your garden.

Ahh, now comes the overpopulation argument. Also false.

Why not let cancer grow and
discover it's potental? After all, that is a mass of human cells as
well.

Now you're equating fetuses with tumors. You're starting to sound desparate.

Less desperate than ****ed off. I've cooled off a *little* now, but I
don't take kindly to accusations of murder. I've never killed or even
seriously wounded another person (nor have I been a participant in or
witness to an abortion), and being called a murderer is unjust.

Who called you a murderer? Not me.

Maybe it has a soul. Maybe trees have souls, and you
shouldn't cut them up to make boxes and armoires.

Wow.

Can you say they don't? Can you say a frog or a lizard or a spotted
owl doesn't have a soul? Sometimes you just need to make the call for
yourself- without someone else telling you how you *must* think.

I figured it out all for myself, thank you, that trees don't have souls. Sorry
you're having such a hard time with it.

There are derivisions of Bhuddism whose adherants wear gauze over
their mouths to prevent them from inhaling insects and accidentally
killing them. If they were to become the majority, how would you like
it if they picketed your house and told you you were going to hell
because you ate a hamburger? What if they passed a law to make it a
capital crime to swat a fly, or smash a poisonous spider? There are
degrees to everything, and just because a certain percent says
something is so, that doesn't make it true.

Wow.

--
Regards,

Fletis Humplebacker

"Prometheus"

I'll admit, I had to get to bed when about half of the results were
in. It sure looked like almost all of them closely divided based on
the coverage I was following. Regardless, calling almost half the
people out-of-touch is sickening.

I used that phrase but was unable to get you to understand that
I was talking about the liberal leadership.

No one has, as yet, explained just
what we're (the so-called "reality based" community) all out of touch
with. Jesus and his M-16? How do we get back into touch with
*y'all*?

You could start by understanding what you're reading and hearing.

Renata

Ahh. I see. Now we attack countries that use WMD against their own
citizens. Thanx for straightening that out.

Renata

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 03:13:58 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote:
-snip-
That's been discussed many times here and elsewhere. Pretending
it hasn't doesn't help your case. If France starts harboring terrorists,
invading it's neighbors for a land grab, using WMDs on it's citizens
and the U.N. is deadlocked into a perpetual circle jerk then something
will need to be done.

Doug Miller

In article , Renata wrote:

Sorry, no, yourself. The justification for the war was WMD and their
use against the USA. No WMD found and certainly nothing
(infrastruture, weapsons, or even evidence of such) has been foudn
that would be anywhere close to being an imminent threat to the USA.
I believe the rationale has deteriorated to "he's a bad man".

Not true. Not even close.

WMD was one of several justifications for the war, but not the only one, and
not even the primary one. Others included continued failure to comply with
numerous UN Security Council resolutions, and harboring and supporting
terrorists. These were stated very clearly *before* the invasion.

Before you say Saddam had no connection to terrorism... answer these
questions: Who was Abu Nidal? And where was he living, at the time of his
death?

--
Regards,

Wes Stewart

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:22:33 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

|"Wes Stewart" wrote in message
| And that is the scary part. The country can survive four more years
| of Bush. I not sure it can survive the fruitcakes he'll be
| nominating.
|
|Yeah, we need more activist judges legislating from the bench instead of
|interpreting the law as it stands.
|
| Damn girl shouldn't have gotten raped in the first place, now she's
| just got to suffer for her sin. Since it was the good Reverend John
| that done it, she musta throw'd herself at him. Imagine that little
| 10-year-old tramp showin' up to Sunday school dressed in that short
| little dress, I mean, what's a man gonna do?
|
| Wes Stewart
|
|From red herrings to non sequitors (sic)...you're covering all the bases. The
|scary part is I'm getting the impression that you're actually as obtuse as
|it appears. Get this into your skull...this is not about little girls
|getting raped. 99% of the problem has nothing to do with rape. I've
|already said I'd concede the rape cases. Done. You wanna talk about the
|real problem now...the other 99%?

I *am* addressing the real problem: control freaks who want to tell
other people how to conduct their lives. That's 100% of the problem.

Perhaps my argument hit a sore spot with you, but it *does* follow
(BTW, if you're going to use big words, you should at least spell them
correctly). I responded directly to what you said earlier but
"forgot" to repeat above, and I quote:

"I don't have much middle ground here...my only concern is protecting
the innocent unborn. If someone gets inconvenienced by that,
generally through their (sic) own consent, too bad"

I'm afraid I fail to find the concession in that drivel. I might add
that often "consent" isn't consent in the eyes of the law. First a
control freak gets an under-aged girl pregnant and then a bunch of
control freaks that can't mind their own business tell her to put up
with the "inconvenience." Sounds like gang rape to me.

I don't suppose that you have a wife, daughter or close female
friends, but if you do (they have my sympathy) consider one of them
becoming pregnant following a rape, or in a wanted pregnancy having it
determined that the fetus is profoundly abnormal or that carrying to
term can result in serious or fatal consequences for her.

This is not a statistical abstraction to be dismissed with a cavalier
"it's just an inconvenience" argument, this is an *individual* with an
*individual* agonizing decision to make.

Considering this *one* case should the woman in question have the say
over her fate or should I tell her what to do about her inconvenience?
I don't know the woman or her circumstances, but I know what's best
for her, because a voice in my head told me so.

So you tell me, does she decide or do I decide?

That is the crux of the issue.

Todd Fatheree

"Wes Stewart" wrote in message |From red herrings to
non sequitors (sic)...you're covering all the bases. The
|scary part is I'm getting the impression that you're actually as obtuse

as
|it appears. Get this into your skull...this is not about little girls
|getting raped. 99% of the problem has nothing to do with rape. I've
|already said I'd concede the rape cases. Done. You wanna talk about the
|real problem now...the other 99%?

I *am* addressing the real problem: control freaks who want to tell
other people how to conduct their lives. That's 100% of the problem.

Perhaps my argument hit a sore spot with you, but it *does* follow
(BTW, if you're going to use big words, you should at least spell them
correctly). I responded directly to what you said earlier but
"forgot" to repeat above, and I quote:

Ooooh. I misspelled "sequitur". You got me there. You feel like a big man,
now? I'm not a control freak. I'm pretty willing to let someone lead their
own life as they see fit, provided they don't harm someone else in the
process. I still notice that you provide the most inflammatory cases as
your arguement, while failing to address the vast majority.

"I don't have much middle ground here...my only concern is protecting
the innocent unborn. If someone gets inconvenienced by that,
generally through their (sic) own consent, too bad"

I'm afraid I fail to find the concession in that drivel. I might add
that often "consent" isn't consent in the eyes of the law. First a
control freak gets an under-aged girl pregnant and then a bunch of
control freaks that can't mind their own business tell her to put up
with the "inconvenience." Sounds like gang rape to me.

Are you somehow obsessed with rape of underage girls? Get off it. How
about talking about the other 99% for once?

I don't suppose that you have a wife, daughter or close female
friends, but if you do (they have my sympathy)

I'd like to see you say that to my face.

consider one of them
becoming pregnant following a rape, or in a wanted pregnancy having it
determined that the fetus is profoundly abnormal or that carrying to
term can result in serious or fatal consequences for her.

If my wife or one of my daughters was carrying a child and was in danger of
losing her life, that is pretty much the only exception I could make for
abortion, which would be self-defense. It would take an Immaculate
Conception for my wife to conceive at this point, but if one of my daughters
became pregnant unwillingly, I would counsel them to put the child up for
adoption.

This is not a statistical abstraction to be dismissed with a cavalier
"it's just an inconvenience" argument, this is an *individual* with an
*individual* agonizing decision to make.

For 99% of abortion cases, the decision to conceive was already made ahead
of time. They consented to have sexual intercourse and accepted the risk.
You seem to want to focus on the exception instead of the rule.

Considering this *one* case should the woman in question have the say
over her fate or should I tell her what to do about her inconvenience?
I don't know the woman or her circumstances, but I know what's best
for her, because a voice in my head told me so.

I'll let you answer that question yourself. Imagine that you're stranded on
a deserted island and the only two people are you and an infant. Now, you
didn't ask for this infant to come along, did you? He/she was forced on
you. It's going to be a major inconvenience and difficulty taking care of
him/her. Would you support someone in that position killing the infant, so
as to not be burdened? In many people's minds, there is no difference
between that choice and the choice of an abortion. The only difference is
that the one in the womb hasn't breathed air yet.

todd

David Hall

Being an unwanted child and being reminded that you are one is far
worse than being aborted.

I really don't need to point out how pathetic that staement is...but
I'm going to anyhow. And you call me a self-rightous prick...

Dave Hall
Prometheus

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 23:51:36 -0600, "Todd Fatheree"
wrote:

"Prometheus" wrote in message
My idea, not belief, is that a human being must have some connection
to it's reality before it is actually alive. When it begins to
observe and think, that is sufficient for me to agree that it should
be protected. I can't draw that line in stone, but it seems to be
somewhere between 10 and 14 weeks, and three months sounds reasonable.
If it is a glob of cells dividing on auto-pilot, I can't believe that
that it is particularly worthy of protection.

So, 9 weeks...OK to kill it. 10 weeks, it magically receives rights. Got
it. So, you'd be OK enforcing a ban on abortions after 12 weeks?

After twelve weeks, ok. I'll concede that- ban it then. I can't set
the exact point, but that sounds fine to me. I don't support aborting
5 minutes before birth.

If it were not, it may be in some cases- our president has been in a
position to prevent the state-sanctioned killing of inmates on
numerous occasions, and I don't believe he was too gung-ho about
pardoning those on death row.

I realize that you probably won't let a little thing like a fact penetrate
your skull, but Texas governors don't have the power to pardon those on
death row. I always have to chuckle when the death penalty comes up in this
debate. Seems that most pro-abortionists are anti-death penalty.
Translation: kill the innocent and protect the guilty. Personally, I'm also
against the death penalty.

I'm for the death penalty. It just always seemed very odd to me that
someone can hate abortion in the name of life, and then sanction the
killing of criminals (aside from yourself, as stated above). If Texas
governors don't have the power to pardon death-row inmates, then of
course my statement above is not valid.

Humans are animals too. What makes humans inherantly better than
animals? I've never had a problem with the great majority of animals,
but there are a whole lot of humans that do nothing good for
themselves or others, and more than a handful that cause a great deal
of harm.

I take it you're a vegan.

No, I'm just trying to understand your position.

[...]

No, why don't we save all of them, and the pro-life folks can agree to
adopt all the ones that were going to be aborted. Hope you've got a
big house.

Less desperate than ****ed off. I've cooled off a *little* now, but I
don't take kindly to accusations of murder. I've never killed or even
seriously wounded another person (nor have I been a participant in or
witness to an abortion), and being called a murderer is unjust.

How does "facilitator" sound?

**** poor as well. I don't hand out phamplets to school children or
give rides to abortion clinics either. How about non-participant?

Can you say they don't? Can you say a frog or a lizard or a spotted
owl doesn't have a soul?

We're talking about baby humans, not tree frogs.

A soul is a soul.

Sometimes you just need to make the call for
yourself- without someone else telling you how you *must* think.
There are derivisions of Bhuddism whose adherants wear gauze over
their mouths to prevent them from inhaling insects and accidentally
killing them. If they were to become the majority, how would you like
it if they picketed your house and told you you were going to hell
because you ate a hamburger? What if they passed a law to make it a
capital crime to swat a fly, or smash a poisonous spider? There are
degrees to everything, and just because a certain percent says
something is so, that doesn't make it true.

While you were writing the above paragraph, your body's immune defenses
killed millions of bacteria cells. That is, unless lithium interferes with
that in some way. If you suffocate yourself now, you can stop the carnage.

I'm not concerned about the "carnage"- I'm asking why one moral code
is right, but another which tends towards an even greater respect for
all life is wrong. If my disagreement with your code makes me a
murderer, does you disagreement with their code make you one as well?

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit
materiari?

todd

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 13:05:35 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus wrote:
On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 13:43:12 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus

wrote:
On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 13:02:10 GMT,
(Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus
wrote:
[...]

Bush, his cabinent, his political advisors, and many of thousands of
his supporters. It's been all over the news and was explicitly stated
at least twice in this thread.

No one has, as yet, explained just
what we're (the so-called "reality based" community) all out of touch
with. Jesus and his M-16? How do we get back into touch with
*y'all*?

What on earth are you talking about?

See the beginning of this thread. Or a newspaper. Or your radio. Or
a television. Or don't, as you like.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

I don't believe that people senselessly shoot other people on a lark, so I
must assume that they have very profound reasons for their decision that I
have no right to question. For me (or the government) to tell them that they

absolutely must not shoot another person, I would have to impose my morality

on them.

They probably do, but that is an entirely different issue. A living
person walking down the street is not in a gray area when it comes to
whether or not they are a "person".

But you believe in erring on the side of caution, you said so yourself. So
anything in that "gray area" should be treated as if it is a living person,
because you're not sure if it is or not.

So how are the two situations different?

[snip rant]

You didn't answer the question.

An embryo floating in a woman's belly has no senses or mental
processes before a certain point. Someone walking down the street
does.

What about it? It has no experiences, no connections to this Earth.
It loses nothing but possibilities- each one of us loses
possibilities every time we make a decision, but that is the price of
existance.

IOW, you just don't care.

Whatever happened to "err on the side of caution"? Those were *your* words,
not mine.

As this thread as go on, I realize you're right. I don't care. I had
blithely assumed that I was not for abortion, but on second thought, I
could actually give a crap if someone else is doing it- same as I
really don't care when the Palestinians and Israelis blow one another
up. Just keep it the hell off my lawn, and don't try take my freedom
from me because of it.

Terrible that I can't be a one-track zealot.

Even worse that you can't make a consistent, cogent statement of your beliefs.

This damn thing wasn't even about abortion pro or con in the first
place- it was a response to someone who wanted examples of the
religious right forcing morality on others. I don't give a crap about
abortion. I do care about facists destroying our country because
people focus on one issue to the exclusion of all others. The folks
who voted for Bush for whatever reason have asked for more death than
abortion is likely to cause in a decade. I'm not consistant about
abortion- because I don't think about it much, and don't really care
to. Why don't you spend hundreds of hours researching anti-trust
legislation or the finer points of environmental law? Hell, perhaps
you do. Pick your issues- this one isn't one of mine, I just don't
like being called a murderer because I don't get on a white horse and
go off to stick my fingers in someone else's pie.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam
Prometheus

My idea, not belief, is that a human being must have some connection
to it's reality before it is actually alive. When it begins to
observe and think, that is sufficient for me to agree that it should
be protected. I can't draw that line in stone, but it seems to be
somewhere between 10 and 14 weeks,

Oh, bull**** -- "observe and think" doesn't happen until 10 to 14 YEARS.

That's the bull****. More learning goes on in the first two years
than any other point in your life.

The short answer is no, because it is illegal.

Why?

Because going to jail interferes with my freedom. And because they
have not initiated force aginst me.

If it were not, it may be in some cases- our president has been in a
position to prevent the state-sanctioned killing of inmates on
numerous occasions, and I don't believe he was too gung-ho about
pardoning those on death row.

I'm opposed to capital punishment in most cases, too.

I'm not, just making a point.

In other instances, it is OK to kill someone who is initiating the use
of physical force against you, intending to cause you serious harm or
death. Sometimes it is necessary to kill another to prevent them from
continuing to kill or trying to kill others. In all cases, they must
initiate the use of force, and killing is the last resort.

Fine -- now how does that justify killing an unborn child?

It doesn't, and was not intended to.

Humans are animals too. What makes humans inherantly better than
animals?

We think, we reason, we have souls... I could go on, but if you really think
that humans are no different from lower animals... Wow.

In an awful lot of cases, no- I do not think that humans are much
different than "lower animals". I have no more right to assume that
I'm "better" than a dolphin because I'm human than I do to assume that
I'm "better" than a Frenchman because I'm American.

I'd prefer to err on the side of caution by protecting the cases that
fall into the "straw man" category. The others need to examine their
values for themselves.

So for the overwhelming majority of cases in which abortion is performed for
reasons of convenience, your position is "tough luck, fetus, too bad" ?

Lot of tough luck in the world.

"Err on the side of caution" means _don't_ kill something that you think might
be a human being.

You really ought to quit, you know -- the farther you take this, the more
inconsistent you become. You're in a hole. Stop digging.

Nah, maybe I'll hit China.

And many are shuffled from foster-home to foster-home. Many are kept
by unfit parents and mistreated. Being an unwanted child and being
reminded that you are one is far worse than being aborted.

So rather than work to correct those problems, better that we just kill them
all from the get-go. Lots easier that way, isn't it?

What are you doing, personally, to correct the problems? How many
adopted children do you have?

You're in a hole. Stop digging. You're making yourself look like a lunatic.

Just ****ed off.

Every seed has the potential to grow, but if they all did, there would
be no room in your garden.

Ahh, now comes the overpopulation argument. Also false.

It is?

Who called you a murderer? Not me.

Probably not. The thread is too long and mixed with other crap for me
to care to pick back through everything to find the reference.

Can you say they don't? Can you say a frog or a lizard or a spotted
owl doesn't have a soul? Sometimes you just need to make the call for
yourself- without someone else telling you how you *must* think.

I figured it out all for myself, thank you, that trees don't have souls. Sorry
you're having such a hard time with it.

Good for you. I think they may. I just don't consider that a reason
not to cut them down.

There are derivisions of Bhuddism whose adherants wear gauze over
their mouths to prevent them from inhaling insects and accidentally
killing them. If they were to become the majority, how would you like
it if they picketed your house and told you you were going to hell
because you ate a hamburger? What if they passed a law to make it a
capital crime to swat a fly, or smash a poisonous spider? There are
degrees to everything, and just because a certain percent says
something is so, that doesn't make it true.

Wow.

They believe in their morality just as fervantly as you do. If they
were the majority, would that make them right to force it on you?
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam