Default "Sorry I dialed the wrong Number." Calls ????????

Recently we have been getting numerous phone calls that as soon as you
answer only has a recording with a -sweet_ woman's voice saying:
"Sorry I dialed the wrong number."

You hear this before you get a chance to say anything and there is an
immediat4 hang up! Is this a new way telemarketers are getting back
at folks who are on the national l do not call list?

There are several of these calls received each a day! If they know
they dialed the wrong number before you answer, why do they dial the
wrong number in the beginning?
Loose Cannon

Interesting. I have never had a call like that, but do get plenty of those
annoying telemarketer calls where when you answer the telephone, there is
dead silence and then (it seems like 10 seconds) someone says "Hello, is
this Mister So and So?".
I think if I had to get calls from telemarketers, I would rather get the
type you are getting that doesn't keep you hanging on the line waiting to
see if someone is at the other end of the line.

Tom Miller

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:17:38 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

| On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 21:47:21 GMT, wrote:
|
| Recently we have been getting numerous phone calls that as soon as you
| answer only has a recording with a -sweet_ woman's voice saying:
| "Sorry I dialed the wrong number."
|
| You hear this before you get a chance to say anything and there is an
| immediat4 hang up! Is this a new way telemarketers are getting back
| at folks who are on the national l do not call list?
|
| There are several of these calls received each a day! If they know
| they dialed the wrong number before you answer, why do they dial the
| wrong number in the beginning?
|
| It's probably automated equipment looking for fax numbers to compile a
| list for junk faxers.
|
| I can remember a few occasions when each of my three lines would ring
| in turn, with a fax tone when answered.
|
| My answer to junk faxers is to send them 10 pages of solid black (easy
| to do with WinFax, gets their attention right away
|
| ...Jim Thompson

How do you get their fax number? In over twelve years I've never
gotten a junk fax with a return number on it and when I use caller ID
the numbers are blocked.
| --
| | James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| | Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus |
| | Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |
| | E-mail Address at Website Fax480)460-2142 | Brass Rat |
| |
http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

| I love to cook with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Jim Thompson

wrote:

| Recently we have been getting numerous phone calls that as soon as you
| answer only has a recording with a -sweet_ woman's voice saying:
| "Sorry I dialed the wrong number."
|
| You hear this before you get a chance to say anything and there is an
| immediat4 hang up! Is this a new way telemarketers are getting back
| at folks who are on the national l do not call list?
|
| There are several of these calls received each a day! If they know
| they dialed the wrong number before you answer, why do they dial the
| wrong number in the beginning?
|
| It's probably automated equipment looking for fax numbers to compile a
| list for junk faxers.
|
| I can remember a few occasions when each of my three lines would ring
| in turn, with a fax tone when answered.
|
| My answer to junk faxers is to send them 10 pages of solid black (easy
| to do with WinFax, gets their attention right away
|
| ...Jim Thompson

How do you get their fax number? In over twelve years I've never
gotten a junk fax with a return number on it and when I use caller ID
the numbers are blocked.

MOST of the ones I receive have fax-back numbers where you fill in the
blanks and send back to them. Usually a different number from the
origination number. (I block all fax that don't have CSID *and* CID.)

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |
| Phoenix, Arizona Voice480)460-2350 | |

http://www.analog-innovations.com | 1962 |

Daniel L. Belton

Actually, all faxes are supposed to have the originating fax number in the
fax header, but the junk faxes don't always have the correct information.
Jim & Lil

My answer to junk faxers is to send them 10 pages of solid black (easy
to do with WinFax, gets their attention right away

...Jim Thompson

Better than that Jim!....skotch tape 4 black sheets of paper end to end
and then form it in a loop through your fax machine so it runs continuosly.
Then hit send and go to bed....LOL....Jim

"Daniel L. Belton" wrote in message
Actually, all faxes are supposed to have the originating fax number in the
fax header, but the junk faxes don't always have the correct information.

F.H.

Loose Cannon wrote:

Interesting. I have never had a call like that, but do get plenty of those
annoying telemarketer calls where when you answer the telephone, there is
dead silence and then (it seems like 10 seconds) someone says "Hello, is
this Mister So and So?".
I think if I had to get calls from telemarketers, I would rather get the
type you are getting that doesn't keep you hanging on the line waiting to
see if someone is at the other end of the line.

Any incoming calls here get about 3 seconds from when I say hello. If
it's not a telemarketer they can call back.

Frank
Jim Thompson

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:21:02 -0600, "Jim & Lil"
jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca wrote:

My answer to junk faxers is to send them 10 pages of solid black (easy
to do with WinFax, gets their attention right away

...Jim Thompson

Better than that Jim!....skotch tape 4 black sheets of paper end to end
and then form it in a loop through your fax machine so it runs continuosly.
Then hit send and go to bed....LOL....Jim

"Daniel L. Belton" wrote in message
Actually, all faxes are supposed to have the originating fax number in the
fax header, but the junk faxes don't always have the correct information.

WinFax is computer-based, no machinery. So I could send hundreds of
pages, no sweat. But I figured that at about 10 pages the recipient
would notice. (Black sheets use toner ;-)

Legally, CSID is required, but seems to be unenforced.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

mark Ransley

There is a device called the Tele Zapper, which gives computer calls a
disconnected # signal, so your # is removed from their list. It works
in reducing calls. The best way is changing your # every year or so and
go unlisted. Now I get one call a year from solicitors, I used to get 5
a day.

Bill

"Loose Cannon" wrote in message ...
Interesting. I have never had a call like that, but do get plenty of those
annoying telemarketer calls where when you answer the telephone, there is
dead silence and then (it seems like 10 seconds) someone says "Hello, is
this Mister So and So?".
I think if I had to get calls from telemarketers, I would rather get the
type you are getting that doesn't keep you hanging on the line waiting to
see if someone is at the other end of the line.

Here's the quick end to those calls:

Telemarketers use an automated dialing system from which your number
has been dialed. If you don't pick up (or your answering machine does)
it immediatly hangs up and dials the next number on the list. The
telemark goon just waits for you to pick up after a 2-3 second delay.

If after the first second no one replys to you, start pressing the
pound sign (or any other key I think) very fast for a couple seconds.
It signals the telegoons listing computer that your number is invalid
and removes it. Trust me, it works like a charm! : )

--

Bill
B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 07:21:02 -0600, "Jim & Lil"
jim.morris-at-sk.sympatico.ca wrote:

My answer to junk faxers is to send them 10 pages of solid black (easy
to do with WinFax, gets their attention right away

Do you think those junk faxers are actually using a FAX MACHINE to
send junk to you?

They're using a computer, just like you are, and could care les if
it's solid black. G

All you've done is verify your phone number.

Barry

Tom Miller

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 07:00:32 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton"
wrote:

| Actually, all faxes are supposed to have the originating fax number in the
| fax header, but the junk faxes don't always have the correct information.

Wish this were so, but the FTC only requires that they have a toll
free number that can be called to remove your fax number from their
list.

Of the faxes I get, about 2/3rds have a working number. The rest
either have no number, a smartass answer on the other end -- "You have
reached our fax removal number. Good bye" -- or are busy for days on
end, or are out of service.

And calling the toll-free number and entering your fax number gets you
off only THAT company's list. You are still on the for-sale commercial
list.

Sometimes I get taken off a fax list for one type of fax from company
"A" but then get the same fax from company "B". Then the other day I
got one from a company with a UK return address and a US 800 number
for removal that didn't work.

And I have NEVER gotten a junk fax with a return fax number or
originating fax number on it. None of the ads I get want a response.

I did get one last week with a 900 number offering to take me off the
fax list for a $3.25 a minute telephone call that would take 3-5
minutes. This was the sole purpose of the fax -- petty extortion.

And I agree with another poster to this thread that sending back a
black page or 4 sounds fun, but the faxes are almost certainly sent by
computer, not by paper-driven office fax machines. Even if a junk
faxer was so stupid as to use a regular office fax to send their junk
fax, their machine would be running all the time sending faxes around
the country so you would never get through. So I doubt the stories of
sending back faxes. It sounds good but I doubt it works or even
happened.
andy asberry

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 04:34:01 GMT, (Tom Miller)
wrote:

[...]

One thing that has given me a bit of satisfaction with the recorded
messages that give their spiel and then ask you to press the one
button now. Please, press the one button now. This only works if you
get the number on caller ID.

The consecutive numbers are dialed by a computer. If you press one,
you are transferred to a salesperson. If you continually dial the
number, eventually, you will ring in just as the computer makes a
connection. Now you have them. Lay the receiver down and go to bed. It
will stay connected until a live person checks to see why there is no
one pressing the one button.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 22:09:43 GMT, andy asberry
wrote:

The consecutive numbers are dialed by a computer. If you press one,
you are transferred to a salesperson. If you continually dial the
number, eventually, you will ring in just as the computer makes a
connection. Now you have them. Lay the receiver down and go to bed. It
will stay connected until a live person checks to see why there is no
one pressing the one button.

You guys are hilarious. Is lint collecting and watching grass grow
getting boring?

It must be nice to have so much free time that you can mess with
telemarketers. They really don't care of you do this, nor does it
really beat them out of anything.

Most phone systems will simply time out and drop the call.

Do you guys also perpetuate the old wives tale that says adding an
extra penny to your phone bill crashes the phone company's billing
systems?

You are wasting your time.

Barry
Jim Thompson

On Wed, 05 Nov 2003 23:55:53 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
wrote:

[snip]

Do you guys also perpetuate the old wives tale that says adding an
extra penny to your phone bill crashes the phone company's billing
systems?

It doesn't? Oh, damn!

But I do know that staple, spindle, and mutilate really does get a
credit card company's attention. Many years ago (when statements were
punched cards) I had a credit balance become an owed balance. No
amount of calling cured the problem. But punching the hell out of the
bill plus adding some big-ass staples sure did. They called me and
said, "Please don't do that again". But they fixed the balance
problem ;-)

You are wasting your time.

Barry

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

TOM KAN PA

Take about eight sheets of 8 1/2 x 11 paper and tape them together length wise
to form a sheet approximately 8 1/2 x 88.
With a felt pen, draw a line in the along the length of the sheet. Dial the fax
number and start this sheet feeding through your fax machine. When it gets
partially through, bring the one end to meet the other and tape them together,
making a loop which will keep the fax going until the other machine runs out of
paper. And don't forget to disable caller ID on your machine.
Now I must go and clean the lint out of my belly button.

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

On 06 Nov 2003 13:01:08 GMT, c (TOM KAN PA) wrote:

making a loop which will keep the fax going until the other machine runs out of

paper.

That is, if they actually used a fax machine... G

Barry
andy asberry

wrote:

You guys are hilarious. Is lint collecting and watching grass grow
getting boring?

It must be nice to have so much free time that you can mess with
telemarketers. They really don't care of you do this, nor does it
really beat them out of anything.

Most phone systems will simply time out and drop the call.

You are wasting your time.

Barry

Sex is a waste of time too but it sure feels good.

I had a 10 x 14 bunkhouse I stayed in at the farm on weekends. The
phone rang in the barn one rainy Saturday morning. Vinyl siding
saleslady. Not able to do much work outside, I thought I would waste
her time by toying with her for a while.

Told her my name was Ronald Reagan, like the President, and I was hard
of hearing. She had to shout every word repeatedly. Asked her where
she was calling from and what's the weather like there.I sure was
interested in siding and gave her the size of my house, 10 x14. I
didn't have any money, could I pay it out? Gave her directions from
town. You do know where Brushy Knob is on the way to Turkey Trot don't
you?

She took all that down and turned me over to her supervisor who
confirmed the info and made an appointment. I then told him I didn't
like telemarketers and didn't even have a house here and had been
wasting their time.

Next Saturday morning, a fellow in a suit got out of his shiny 300ZX
with a lost look. I waited out in the corral and made him walk through
the manure out to me. Certain he was at the wrong place because there
was no house, he asked if I knew me. He kept looking back at his car
as the sheep gathered round and my dog ****ed on his wheel. If I
hadn't been busy, I would have had him measure the bunkhouse and the
outhouse.

I told him how I had screwed with the telemarketers and had told them
it was a joke. He wasn't happy. He had driven 70 miles to slam dunk a
deal with this old deaf codger.

Half hour of my time versus a half day of his. Hell yes, it felt good.

Jim Thompson

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 19:14:19 GMT, andy asberry
wrote:

[snip]
[...]

Snort! ROTFLMAO! Good one!

Track down two CD's by Tom Mabe:

"Revenge on the Telemarketers"

and

"Revenge on the Telemarketers, Round Two"

Both are recordings he made of his conversations with telemarketers.

...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

B a r r y B u r k e J r .

wrote:

Half hour of my time versus a half day of his. Hell yes, it felt good.

I live in a state with a do not call list. I haven't gotten a
telemarketing call in over a year.

Perhaps the half hour would be better spent talking your politicians
into doing it in your state?

Barry

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003 13:54:34 -0800, "Loose Cannon"
wrote:

Interesting. I have never had a call like that, but do get plenty of those
annoying telemarketer calls where when you answer the telephone, there is
dead silence

One second of silence, and I hang up.
My friends know now that they have to start talking within one second,
or they get hung up on. :-)
EmbErna

Agreed, I do the same. I hang up if there is anything close to 1 second
of dead silence or click-overs. You can tell the rookies, they're the
ones who reply with ?hello? as if they are answering their own phone!

Here's some more fun, if you've got a computer speaker near
your telephone. As soon as you know its a TeleMarketer, start
clicking the links on this page while holding the phone near
your computer speaker.

http://www.ameryonline.com/soundboards/deniro.html

Enjoy!
mikey.