GregP

On 09 Nov 2004 05:36:45 EST, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

The issue ought to be "When Does The Government's Responsibility To
Protect It's Citizens' Civil Rights Begin?" No one knows exactly
when that moment actually is. It is *somewhere* near the end of the
2nd trimester by most estimations.

I don't know where these "most estimations" come from, but I do
agree that there should be a time limit. I can see lots of problems
arising as a result, but that's the way it always is.

One of the issues of highly premature births is that as we get
better and better at keeping such babies alive we are seeing
that they tend to have very serious problems as they grow: a
significant percentage are born with brain damage. I am
peripherally involved in a study that is looking at whether such
damage is connected to certain (non-behavioral) episodes
that the mother experiences during pregnancy. This in and of
itself does not mean that we should not try to keep them alive
but it could be that we are seeing something natural he the
woman's body may be rejecting the fetus.

The tragedy of the Left is that
it defends 3rd Trimester abortion, argues that it's nobody's business
but the woman's (what an absurd notion) and refuses to even
consider the possibility of some rational compromise.

This is not a tragedy "of the left," it is a symptom of a more
general tragedy of lack of compromise on any major issue
by any non-centrist group, be it left, conservative, or fascist.
And there is no monolithic "left" view of late-stage abortions.

GregP

On 09 Nov 2004 05:19:05 EST, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

What about the African tribalists who made slavery possible in the
first place? Are they not equally morally culpable? In fact,
in the matter of the Barbary Coast pirates, African slavers
actually enslaved white Europeans, though on nowhere near the
same scale that they conquered and enslaved their own countrymen.

The thing that always gets missed in these convenient little
idelogical rants is that *everyone* through recorded history
engaged in slavery at some point or another.

Why was it an "idealogical rant ?" Was it false ? Nothing
that you say in the above in any way, shape, or form questions
the veracity of what I said. And all it boils down to is what I
heard from my kids when they were 5 years old: "But HE did
it TOO !"
GregP

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 08:08:04 -0500, WoodMangler
wrote:

And let's not perpetuate the myth that the Civil War was fought over
slavery. Among the socio-economic differences that led to war, slavery was
far down the list.
The emancipation proclamation freed slaves only in the confederate states,
and this during the war when the confederate states did not recognize the
authority of the US government. The last states to abolish slavery did so
after the war, and were northern states. Massive social pressure to end
slavery was gaining ground in all parts of this country before the war,
and would have prevailed even if a war hadn't been fought.

I can't wait for responses from those young enough to only have read "new
revised" American history books.

The 45 yr old American history text books we had in grade
school "perpetuated the myth" quite unashamedly.
GregP

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 03:56:56 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote:

On terrorism, yes. He wasn't talking about domestic issues, except
when they included terrorism. You don't stand with the U.S. on
fighting terrorism?

As a citizen of the US I am, like almost all citizens of the US,
believe that we should deal with terrorism. Too bad the
administration doesn't pay more attention to it.

mp

As a citizen of the US I am, like almost all citizens of the US,
believe that we should deal with terrorism. Too bad the
administration doesn't pay more attention to it.

Do you, unlike most citizens of the US, understand the root cause of
terrorism, especially in the Middle East?

Mark

mp wrote:

As a citizen of the US I am, like almost all citizens of the US,
believe that we should deal with terrorism. Too bad the
administration doesn't pay more attention to it.

Do you, unlike most citizens of the US, understand the root cause of
terrorism, especially in the Middle East?

Which reason would you like to address first?

Let's face it, 911 was the first clue the majority of Americans had that we
weren't universally loved.

And since 911 they have allowed themselves to be sidetracked into a whole slew
of bull**** reasons as Bull**** reasons are easier for them to grasp and allows
them to remain blameless.

Oh well, they got what they asked for, problem is they didn't even know they
were asking.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice
there is.

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens, A.K.A.
Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the suspense.
(Gaz, r.moto)
Charlie Self

GregP responds:

I can't wait for responses from those young enough to only have read "new
revised" American history books.

The 45 yr old American history text books we had in grade
school "perpetuated the myth" quite unashamedly.

Mine were somewhere between 55 and 60 years old and also perpetuated the
"myth."

Charlie Self
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power." Abraham Lincoln
GregP

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 08:50:27 -0800, "mp" wrote:

Do you, unlike most citizens of the US, understand the root cause of
terrorism, especially in the Middle East?

No, and I am convinced that anyone in the US who does
is deceiving him/herself.

Doug Miller

In article , Larry Blanchard wrote:
In article ,
says...
Crap. The government codifies morality in legislation all the time. Why do

you
suppose there are laws against murder, stealing, or perjury?

Because they interfere with the governments ability to maintain order
and protect it's citizensb from each other.

And who protects the unborn?

Abortion requires the government to choose between the rights of a
citizen, the pregnant woman, and a fetus that may someday become a
citizen if all goes well. Seems like a simple decision to me.

More specifically, to choose between the right of a pregnant woman not to be
inconvenienced, versus the right of an unborn child to life itself. It is
indeed a simple decision.

Anything else requires the government to espouse a religious belief,
which is of course the basis for your arguments.

Wrong on both counts. First, it's a moral issue, not (necessarily) a religious
one. Second, I am an adult convert to my faith, and my opposition to abortion,
while certainly in accord with my religious beliefs, predates that conversion
by about a decade.

--
Regards,

Tim Daneliuk

Larry Blanchard wrote:

In article ,
says...

I say abortion,
if it is to be legal, should be limited to a timeframe wherein there
is almost a certainty that no citizen is being killed, say 2 months
into the pregnancy.

I could almost go along with that. Make it 3 months - 90% of all
abortions are in the first trimester. And make exceptions for the
health of the mother or the cases where a fetus is so deformed it would
be unlikely to live anyway.

Moreover, no public funds should ever be used
to pay for it.

There I disagree. It is often the poor, who can't afford contraceptive
devices, who need the abortion.

Not really. Abortion, at least in the US, is primarily a birth control
vehicle for the middle class and above iirc (sorry I no longer have the
cite). Moreover, why on earth should I be obligated to pay for something
which is both: a) Against my conscience/my will and b) In no way required
to preserve the sovereignty of the nation? Military spending may offend
some people, but it is well within the government's purview of defending
Liberty, for instance, but abortion is not. Morally contentions acts
like abortion are thus both out of the government's legitimate sphere
of action (beyond making sure murder does not occur) and should never be
paid for with public monies.

If there was an effective private means of supplying them with the
needed medical attention, I'd rethink my position, but with the public
outcry against any and all abortions, it'd be very difficult to keep
something like that going.

Or keep the providers from being shot or bombed.

Hmm, you must not live in a large population center. Abortion clinics
are thriving and widely available in the private sector ...

Tim Daneliuk

PGP Key:
http://www.tundraware.com/PGP/

J. Clarke

Larry Blanchard wrote:

In article ,
otforme says...
And it might do something to slow our ever growing overpopulation
problem as well.

We have a consumption problem, but the real population problem resides in
China, India and much of what is known as the Third World.

Oh, they definitely have a worse problem than us, but we have one too.
The US population has been doubling every 60 years or so. That's right
on the world average.

If you investigate you will find that the birth rate in the US went below
the replacement level around 1975 and has stayed there ever since. However
there is a lag between the time that the birth rate goes below replacement
level and the time that the population actually starts to decline.

Further, at the current growth rate, which will continue to decline until it
hits zero sometime around 2025, Zero Population Growth calculates the
"doubling time" for the US population at 115 years, not the 60 that you
claim.

The average is lowered by the European nations, many of which have a
stable or even decreasing population.

I've seen studies (who knows how good they are) that give the sustained
carrying capacity of the US portion of North America as anywhere from 65
million to 125 million, both of those way below our current population.

And no doubt there are other studies that show it to be between 65 trillion
and 125 trillion. The only way you are going to decrease the population to
that level any time in the foreseeable future is by involuntary
sterilization of the entire population or by use of weapons of mass
destruction, so the point is moot.

And every time our birthrate goes way down, the politicians increase
immigration. I get the feeling our economy is one big Ponzi scheme.
Just think what would happen to the housing industry if all we needed
was replacement housing.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

Fly-by-Night CC wrote:

In article ,
otforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I think some form of conception prevention is needed on an
early and long term basis, with possible voluntary reversal at the option
of the person. Most people, probably a majority, are able to plan their
lives so that abortion is not used as contraception. For those who
cannot, long term, reversible sterilization is an answer.

Uh-oh Charlie. Better step lightly or you'll fracture the Catholic vote.
As I understand it the "church" doesn't condone artificial birth control
(at least that's what my converted-to-Catholisism sister has to say on
the matter).

http://catholicism.about.com/cs/sex/f/faqartbc.htm

Your idea may have some sense and merit, but the liberal-centrist in me
has a real problem with it. Reminds me of "Welcome to the Monkey House"
by Kurt Vonnegut. (Or was it Ray Bradbury?)

While the Catholic Church is part of the problem, I know a number of
Catholic women who use birth control. One dodge that gets used is that
it's for treatment of some kind of medical problem, but some just say "Up
yours Your Holiness, it's my body". On the other hand an atheist friend is
worried sick that his daughter that he just sent away to college is going
to get pregnant before she graduates (her major complaint with life is that
she's the only person in her circle of friends who is still a virgin) but
he won't get her any kind of contraception because he's concerned that it
"will screw up her biological rhythms".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

WoodMangler wrote:

J. Clarke did say:

WoodMangler wrote:

J. Clarke did say:

Geez, get a life--you're as bad
as the Southerners who are still fighting the Civil War.

I've lived in the Southern US most of my life and have never met one of
these folks. Do you know any? Or are you just watching too much
television?

I was borne there, you just lived there--I suspect I've been more heavily
immersed in the culture than you have.

Quite an assumption on your part. And almost certainly incorrect.

Maybe you've been moving in the wrong circles. At the high end you have
the Sons of Confederate Veterans (this is the Ferrari driving set--I
don't recall the dues but I thought my folks were nuts to pay that much),

A group dedicated to remembrance of family members who fought and died in
a war. (I'm eligible for membership by the way) I wouldn't say they're all
"still fighting the civil war" any more than I'd say that the VFW, VVA or
other groups are still fighting their war. Remembering the past certainly
isn't the same as trying to relive it.

in the
middle a surprising number of college professors (one of my cousins is
such) and other intellectuals,

I would find that surprising. I do know several scholars who study the
civil war. Wars are a fascinating subject to many, every conflict waged on
the planet is studied and analyzed by many. Not the same as "still
fighting it".

and then at the low end you have the
Klan, which the other two groups kind of wish would go away as it's
become an embarrasment.

The Klan is a hate group, white supremacists, nothing more. Their agenda
has nothing to do with the American Civil War.

Or maybe the folks you've encountered just don't discuss such matters
around folks who they know they will offend--

The folks I encounter here are family and lifelong friends.

So? Doesn't mean that they discuss such matters in front of you. But just
to be clear, you have family members and lifelong friends who are members
of SCV, college professors at Southern universities who study the civil
war, and active members of the Ku Klux Klan?

The simple fact is that if you live in the South and you have never met a
single person who is stressed over the outcome of the Civil War then you
don't get out much.

courtesy is a Southern tradition you
know.

Well, it was until we discovered the internet... Now we can be as rude and
anonymous as anyone.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

mp wrote:

Agreed. But keep in mind that the US was founded by and for Christians.

Are they the same ones who slaughtered hundreds of thousands of native
Indians, often for just for sport?

I though that was the Aztecs. Although most of those were sacrificed to
appease the volcano gods and provide tasty treats for the nobility. Only a
few of them were sacrificed because they lost a ball game, but that was a
regular occurrance, so one could say that it occurred "often".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

Todd Fatheree wrote:

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
If you don't count the 12 million babies that were murdered last year.

If you consider them to be "babies".

I'm curious. When, in your opinion, does that human lifeform in the womb
become a baby?

When it demonstrates some characteristic that provokes my sympathy.

Personally I find that sort of
transparent appeal to emotion to be especially reprehensible.

And I find people condoning infanticide to be without conscience.

And you consider any death of a fetus, including the deaths of the ones that
get tossed in the trash at fertility clinics, to be "infanticide", which is
again an appeal to emotion.

If
everyone can just decide what's right and wrong on their own, then what
was
wrong with the nutjob killing your friend?

What was wrong was that my friend was obeying the law, your nutjob wasn't.
In case you haven't noticed, abortion in the US is a lawful activity.
"Anybody" did not decide that it was "right or wrong", the Justices of the
Supreme Court, who are empowered by the Constitution and customs of this
nation to make such decisions, decided that it was lawful.

If he thought it was OK, who
are we to impose our values on him?

I see. So it's OK to do something that's unlawful if _you_ think it's right,
but it's so wrong to do something lawful that it is justifiable for you to
act as judge, jury, and executioner to prevent them from doing it.

I'm sorry, but _your_ idiot was the one who was "deciding what's right and
wrong on their own".

Or not as the case may be. You assume you know the mind of a deity. And
you're a fellow traveller if you condone the sort of actions these
whackos take.

Try paying attention. Where did I say I condoned their actions?

See the previous few paragraphs, in which you compared the lawful actions of
a physician with the unlawful actions of a murderer and suggested that one
justified the other.

They better just
hope there is no supreme being, because I can't think of much worse
than destroying a totally innocent life.

Well, now, suppose the deity disagrees with you on this?

I'll just take my chances.

You do that.

todd

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

J. Clarke

Todd Fatheree wrote:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
In article ,
says...
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message

He also believes he doesn't have the right to use the force of law to
make others live by his beliefs.

Then he apparently doesn't have the courage of his convictions,
assuming

he
has any core beliefs in the first place that go beyond getting elected.
We're not talking about tax policy or which state gets a new highway

here.
He claims to believe that innocent children are being slaughtered, but
chooses to do nothing to stop it, hiding behind the religous freedom of
others to commit murder.

You just assumed the pertinent point. Kerry, and apparently you,
believe that a fetus is a human child. If we all agreed to that, there
would be no abortion debate. Kerry realizes that others don't believe
that a fetus is a child. You don't seem to realize that. Maybe that's
what you want to force others to believe.

I started out by pointing out that Kerry's position is inconsistent.
Interpreting his statements, he believes that abortion is murder. But
murder is OK, as long as the murderer thinks it's OK. I don't know how
else to interpret his so-called beliefs.

Very simple. He thinks it's murder, but the courts and the Congress and the
several states seem to disagree with him on this point, so what's he
supposed to do about it? Go out and shoot people?

I do oppose any abortion after the fetus is capable of living on its own
without extraordinary efforts and equipment. In effect, that means
after about 6 or 7 months of gestation.

This must be the least consistent and least logical point of view in the
whole debate. "about 6 or 7 months"? Where does 5 1/2 months fit into
that? What about a week before? What's wrong with killing it at 8 months
if the mother wants to? It's her body, isn't it? Suddenly at 6 or 7
months you have the right to impose your will?

The courts in the US have ruled "first trimester" unless there are
extenuating circumstances. The state legislatures have sometimes set more
lenient standards. It is their job to make such decisions and they have
made them. If you want the line set elsewhere or abolished, then either
come up with an argument so effective that it persuades the Congress and
the States to amend the Constitution or persuades the Supreme Court to
overturn Roe v. Wade, or move to another country whose views are more
congenial to your sensibilities. All you achieve by ****ing in the wind as
you are currently doing is to annoy everyone downwind of you.

Up to that point, refusing to allow a woman to abort is making her a
slave to your beliefs. Come to think of it, that's probably the
motivation of many. Kinder,kirche,kuchen - now who was it said that?

I'd call it requiring a person to be responsible for their actions, but
there's precious little of that going around these days.

You're right, she really should have learned karate well enough to stand off
the four guys who held her down while the fifth one "invited" that sweet
little baby into her. Damned irresponsible of her not to have developed
super powers.

As another poster has mentioned, this argument is not amenable to
reason, as it's based on opinion on both sides. How about we drop it?

OK. You don't post any more and I wont respond to your posts.

todd

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
J. Clarke

David Hall wrote:

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in message
Why are the pro-life people not picketing and speaking out against the
fertility clinics who discard unused embryos? If the implanted embryo
automatically becomes classified as a baby then why not consider the
frozen embryo a frozen baby and thus deserving of a womb?

Probably because we can't even get a solidly enforcable ban on the
practice of sucking the brains out of a 9 month old "fetus" that has
been delivered except for his or her head! I think that we need to get
the killing of late term babies ended before we spend too much effort
on embryos. It is just so sad that you cannot even see these full term
"fetuses" as babies and want to deflect the argument to fertilized
eggs.

You might want to look up the circumstances under which that procedure is
normally performed. It is not done as a method of birth control (in the US
anyway--I understand that that may not be true elsewhere), it is normally
done to preserve the life or health of the mother in circumstances in which
the fetus is incapable of survival.

And you've even got the sequence wrong. It's not done when the fetus "has
been delivered except for his or her head"--in that position you can't get
at the head to suck the brains out so it's kind of silly to suggest that
that is done. Since you don't seem to be aware of it the normal and
preferred orientiation of the fetus at birth is head-first. Feet first can
work, but it's dangerous. Butt first if he can't be reoriented is usually
fatal for both without surgery.

Dave Hall

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:52:44 -0500, GregP wrote:

You remind me of Catholic
bishops who condoned and often abetted felony sexual attacks
on minors while questioning the morality of others.

Translation: I disagree with your politics therefore I equate you to
pedophiles.

George

I thought it was the Maya who played handball for keeps. Any support for
the Toltec or Aztec?

As to the noble Amerinds, ask any other tribe what they thought of the
Huron.

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
mp wrote:

Are they the same ones who slaughtered hundreds of thousands of native
Indians, often for just for sport?

I though that was the Aztecs. Although most of those were sacrificed to
appease the volcano gods and provide tasty treats for the nobility. Only

few of them were sacrificed because they lost a ball game, but that was a
regular occurrance, so one could say that it occurred "often".

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Doug Winterburn

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 16:59:48 -0500, George wrote:

I thought it was the Maya who played handball for keeps. Any support for
the Toltec or Aztec?

As to the noble Amerinds, ask any other tribe what they thought of the
Huron.

.... or ask the northwest Washington and other nearby tribes what they
thought of the Haidas.

-Doug

WoodMangler

GregP did say:

And of course, while fraud may be difficult to detect after the fact, there
are many ways to prevent it, including:
- requiring proof of citizenship when registering to vote
- requiring positive identification when voting
- keeping voter registration lists updated when voters move or die

That is very true. But unless the public becomes willing to pay
decent taxes to properly fund such operations, and gov'ts become
willing to operate them properly, and citizens take actions to
make sure they do (instead of simply whining), nothing much
is likely to change `xcept whiners whining.

DECENT TAXES!!?? You think the American public is paying too little tax?

--
New project = new tool. Hard and fast rule.

Wes Stewart

On 09 Nov 2004 17:39:04 EST, Tim Daneliuk
wrote:

[snip]

|You argument is Ad Hominem and false. I am never for killing "innocent"
|people, unborn or otherwise. The central issue is whether or not war
|is justfied in a given set of circumstances. "Innocent" people were
|killed in WWII by the Allies but that did not inherently make the war
|immoral. Unless you are ideologically a Pacifist - and believe that ALL
|killing of innocents is wrong, and war is never justified - you have to accept
|that wartime has unpleasant consequences for non-combatants. In that
|case, we have an obligation to minimize such collateral killings as best
|is possible.

Depends. In WWII practically the whole populations of Germany and
Japan were engaged in supporting the war. I submit that if they are
working in a munitions factory, they are fair targets. I say this
from the perspective of one who spent 33 years working in the defense
industry, where I supported our war efforts by designing and building
such things as the TOW, Maverick and Tomahawk missiles. If an enemy
of ours had the capability of targeting the plant where I worked, I
would expect him to try and destroy it, and me with it.

|Your comments are also entirely context-free. Where was the Drooly Left
|when Sadaam was butchering his own people?

Where are the neocons when genocide is (by Powell's own tardy
admission) being perpetrated upon the people of Darfur?

We'll be invading Syria and Iran soon, but where a real moral
imperative exists, fuggetaboutit.

[snip]
WoodMangler

J. Clarke did say:

WoodMangler wrote:

J. Clarke did say:

WoodMangler wrote:

[...]

WOW! That's so twisted and ridiculous I don't know where to start. You
should probably hit the crack pipe AFTER reading the newsgroup.

The simple fact is that if you live in the South and you have never met a
single person who is stressed over the outcome of the Civil War then you
don't get out much.

Perhaps you and I hang out in different places. My friends and family tend
to be normal human beings. I can only assume that you hang out in Klan
biker clubs or are incarcerated with the Aryan nation.
I DO believe you when you say that you know people who are all stressed
out about a war that happened over a hundred years ago. They have
medication for these conditions now.

David Hall

Todd Fatheree wrote:

[...]

No. But if he believes it to be murder you would think he would at least be
actively against it and trying to outlaw it, not saying in effect that the
murders occurring all around him are just none of his business.

[...]

In case you missed it, a few days ago we took a big step in that direction if
we can keep W. on track and boot Spectere.

Up to that point, refusing to allow a woman to abort is making her a
slave to your beliefs. Come to think of it, that's probably the
motivation of many. Kinder,kirche,kuchen - now who was it said that?

I'd call it requiring a person to be responsible for their actions, but
there's precious little of that going around these days.

You're right, she really should have learned karate well enough to stand off
the four guys who held her down while the fifth one "invited" that sweet
little baby into her. Damned irresponsible of her not to have developed
super powers.

I am not one that says it has anything to do with personal responsibility. But
you have to notice that it certainly wasn't the baby's fault and he or she (or
they as the case may be) are the only ones in the whole sad senerio that are
being asked to forfeit their lives.

Dave Hall
Prometheus

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 19:47:30 -0500, Tom Watson
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 08:46:23 -0800, "Fletis Humplebacker" ! wrote:

That would then deny the heritage of the country. No one is
converted by the symbols but they were put there for a reason.
I don't see a good enough reason to systematically remove them.
If it troubles someone that the country was predominately
Christian they should learn to accept history and facts for what
they are, not what they want them to be.

I would encourage you to look on the back of a one dollar bill.

Look at the pyramid on the left hand side.

Read the semi-circular inscription below the pyramid.

What do you think it means?

New Secular Order.

Regards,

Tom.

Thomas J. Watson - Cabinetmaker, ret.
tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

David Hall

You might want to look up the circumstances under which that procedure is
normally performed. It is not done as a method of birth control (in the US
anyway--I understand that that may not be true elsewhere), it is normally
done to preserve the life or health of the mother in circumstances in which
the fetus is incapable of survival.

Yeah, I take a lot of comfort in all of those "normally"s in the above. I also
like the old "health of the mother" dodge when depression or other short term
issues are sufficient. Remember the debates when trying to pass the law to make
such abortions illegal when using the words "serious impact on the mother's
health" were unacceptable to the right-to-lifers.

And you've even got the sequence wrong. It's not done when the fetus "has
been delivered except for his or her head"--in that position you can't get
at the head to suck the brains out so it's kind of silly to suggest that
that is done. Since you don't seem to be aware of it the normal and
preferred orientiation of the fetus at birth is head-first. Feet first can
work, but it's dangerous. Butt first if he can't be reoriented is usually
fatal for both without surgery.

You seem to be the one uninformed here. The body is delivered but the head
remains in the mother. The medical tools are inserted at the base of the head
and into the brain. The suction tube is then inserted and the brains are sucked
out and the skull collasped to allow the head to be removed without the types
of impact on the woman that would normally occur in head last birth. Head first
is certainly the preferred orientation for an intended live birth.

Dave Hall

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Randy

I have a friend who is a mining engineer. He has a T-shirt with a
beautiful picture of the earth, in large script it says, "EARTH FIRST".
Below that in small script is, "We'll mine the other planets when were
done".

So far as abortion is concerned, I am a proponent of postnatal abortion
until the age of eighteen. It would do wonders in getting the kids to
behave, go to school and be polite and respectful of their others.

"Kill rotten kids, not innocent babies".

Charlie Self wrote:

Larry Blanchard writes:

And every time our birthrate goes way down, the politicians increase
immigration. I get the feeling our economy is one big Ponzi scheme.
Just think what would happen to the housing industry if all we needed
was replacement housing.

Ayup. The mantra of business is growth. I've often wondered if any of them have
a clue as to what is going to happen the day there is neither room nor material
with which to grow. That day is a lot less far off than it was a few years ago.

Charlie Self
"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character,
give him power." Abraham Lincoln

Todd Fatheree

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Todd Fatheree wrote:
I started out by pointing out that Kerry's position is inconsistent.
Interpreting his statements, he believes that abortion is murder. But
murder is OK, as long as the murderer thinks it's OK. I don't know how
else to interpret his so-called beliefs.

Very simple. He thinks it's murder, but the courts and the Congress and

the
several states seem to disagree with him on this point, so what's he
supposed to do about it? Go out and shoot people?

I'd settle for speaking out against it instead of talking out of both sides
of his mouth.

This must be the least consistent and least logical point of view in the
whole debate. "about 6 or 7 months"? Where does 5 1/2 months fit into
that? What about a week before? What's wrong with killing it at 8

months
if the mother wants to? It's her body, isn't it? Suddenly at 6 or 7
months you have the right to impose your will?

The courts in the US have ruled "first trimester" unless there are
extenuating circumstances.

According to Planned Parenthood, 9% of all abortions are performed in the
2nd and 3rd trimesters. That's about 173,000 per year.

The state legislatures have sometimes set more
lenient standards. It is their job to make such decisions and they have
made them. If you want the line set elsewhere or abolished, then either
come up with an argument so effective that it persuades the Congress and
the States to amend the Constitution or persuades the Supreme Court to
overturn Roe v. Wade, or move to another country whose views are more
congenial to your sensibilities.

Electing President Bush was a step in that direction. He'll likely nominate
1-4 justices to the Supreme Court.

All you achieve by ****ing in the wind as
you are currently doing is to annoy everyone downwind of you.

I couldn't care less how many people are annoyed. I find your position
offensive, yet you don't mind stating it.

I'd call it requiring a person to be responsible for their actions, but
there's precious little of that going around these days.

You're right, she really should have learned karate well enough to stand

off
the four guys who held her down while the fifth one "invited" that sweet
little baby into her. Damned irresponsible of her not to have developed
super powers.

Excellent red herring. The number of abortions performed due to rape in the
US are approximately 1% of the total. Frankly, I'm not even in favor of
abortion in this case, but if it will save the other 99%, I'll take the
lesser evil. As if it's the unborn child's fault that he/she came into
being in that way. I don't have much middle ground here...my only concern
is protecting the innocent unborn. If someone gets inconvenienced by that,
generally through their own consent, too bad

todd

Renata

Cool map, county by county...

http://www.princeton.edu/~rvdb/JAVA/election2004/

Renata

On Mon, 08 Nov 2004 22:05:45 -0600, Prometheus
wrote:

There's that Out-Of-Step (tm) line again. Christ, you'd think part of
New England voted 50% for Kerry, and the rest of the country voted
100% for Bush. Almost every state in the nation was split down the
middle. If we're out of step, it's only because we don't don
jackboots and start goosestepping with the fearless leader down the
road to hell.

-snip-

Renata

On Fri, 05 Nov 2004 04:15:55 -0500, Greg G. wrote:

Juergen Hannappel said:

(Sbtypesetter) writes:

A wise man's heart is at his right hand;
but a fool's heart at his left.
Ecclesiates 10:2

Best reason I know not to be a
leftist, communist, socialist,
democrat, et al.

As we in Germany say: "Oh Herr, lass Hirn regnen!" (Oh Lord, let there
be a rain of brains)

Looks like we are in a severe drought... ;-)

Now, that made me laff.

Renata

Greg G.

WoodMangler wrote:
: J. Clarke did say:

: WoodMangler wrote:
:
: J. Clarke did say:
:
: WoodMangler wrote:
:
: J. Clarke did say:
:
[...]

Those type people/conditions exist all over the world. For example
Northern Ireland, the Protestants every year insist on marching thru
Catholic neighborhoods to celebrate their ancestor's victories hundreds of
years ago. Maybe the solution is to medicate the whole world.
Prometheus

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 12:54:41 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , Prometheus wrote:

Ok, I'll clarify. I am against abortion as a concept. If my wife
wanted to have an abortion as a form of birth-control, I would be very
against it. But, It Is Not My Decision. Nor is it a valid place for
the government to be sticking it's nose. What I believe is good or
bad is irrelevent to someone with a different frame of reference.

Oh, so if someone else's "different frame of reference" includes coming from a
culture with no concept of private property, it's ok with you if that person
takes your car? Sorry, but that's utter nonsense. In order to live together in
a civilized society, we *must* have *some* sort of rules that govern how we
behave. And that set of rules derives from what the majority of us consider to
be right and wrong.

I do not know whether or not a fertilized egg has a soul, and I
personally prefer to err on the side of caution, where caution is
warranted. When a child is delivered whole and viable from a woman's
body, it is no longer a part of her, but an entirely seperate entity,
entitled to the rights granted to any other living individual.

You don't see the inconsistency in your statements here? If you *truly*
believe in erring on the side of caution, then the *only* self-consistent
position is to oppose abortion in all circumstances, precisely because you do
not know if a fertilized egg has a soul. If there is *any* doubt in your mind,
if you believe that there is *any* possibility that it does, then you must
oppose abortion on the grounds that it may be the murder of an innocent life.

No it isn't. It's a very minor issue for me. To be self-consistant,
I need to be morally sure of a thing before commiting to action.
Erring on the side of caution for me is not performing abortions.

I don't believe that women senselessly rush off to the abortion clinic
on a lark, so I must assume that they have very profound reasons for
their decision that I have no right to question. For me (or the
government) to tell them that they absolutely must not have an
abortion, I would have to impose my morality on them- which was the
context in which I mentioned this issue.

I don't believe that people senselessly shoot other people on a lark, so I
must assume that they have very profound reasons for their decision that I
have no right to question. For me (or the government) to tell them that they
absolutely must not shoot another person, I would have to impose my morality
on them.

They probably do, but that is an entirely different issue. A living
person walking down the street is not in a gray area when it comes to
whether or not they are a "person".

It's not a cavalier attitude towards the issue, it's respect for the
right of a potential mother to make her own decisions. I have my
opinions on it, but opinions are all they are.

What about respect for the right of the embryo/fetus/infant to life?

You're throwing three titles in there, and that's not correct. An
infant has been delivered.

The question of when the fetus becomes human can only be resolved by a
religious or moral decision. The government has no right to make
those decisions for citizens.

Crap. The government codifies morality in legislation all the time. Why do you
suppose there are laws against murder, stealing, or perjury?

You know what, forget it. You care about this a lot more than I do,
and it's useless to sit here and spin my wheels. I could write a
million pages about it, and I'd still be wrong to you, so I'm going to
bow out on this one. I don't agree with you, but that's not always
necessary.
Aut inveniam viam aut faciam