Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Cooper

Default Need advice! WRONG GRANITE TOP WAS INSTALLED IN MY KITCHEN!!

I am a new homebuyer, I bought a brand new home from Signature
Properties. It is a brand new home so I was able to select all the
flooring, cabinetry, countertops, etc. I saw the preliminary
completed home today for the first time and noticed that the granite
isn't the granite I picked out (and paid $4,000 for). The granite I
picked out had clear speckles of red. This granite is all shades of
brown. It is clearly the wrong granite.

My question is...what do I do? I have the official inspection with
the official person in a few weeks. I can clearly show by getting a
picture of the slab I chose that this is the wrong granite.

Has anybody had experience with how to handle this? The granite that
they installed is pretty and frankly I wouldn't mind it, but I would
prefer to have the one I selected. Should I ask them to discount the
price to avoid having them reinstall (and push back the escrow date)?
If so, by how much?

Any advice would be appreciated.

On 8 Feb 2004 14:55:45 -0800, someone wrote:

..... The granite I
picked out had clear speckles of red. This granite is all shades of
brown. It is clearly the wrong granite.

So what did they when you told tham that it was the wrong granite?
None of us have seen it, or the slab you selected. Do they agree it
is a different granite or do they say it is natural variation,
different lighting, polished vs. unfinished, etc. etc.?

Seems to me the first thing to establish is that the contractor agrees
that there was indeed a switch or a mistake.

-v.