res055a5

Default where to find mountain mahogany??

long ago I carved some mountain mahogany and loved it, but can't find it for
sale.
any ideas?
it turns out there are several species with that name...the one I carved in
the past was from Idaho.
maybe the others are just as good?
rich

--

atv rider polaris 500
glass creations

Pat Barber

I'm guessing it's this tree ??? which does not appear
to produce much in the way of wood...

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/mountain_mahogany.htm

res055a5 wrote:

long ago I carved some mountain mahogany and loved it, but can't find it for
sale.
any ideas?
it turns out there are several species with that name...the one I carved in
the past was from Idaho.
maybe the others are just as good?
rich

res055a5

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I'm guessing it's this tree ??? which does not appear
to produce much in the way of wood...

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/mountain_mahogany.htm

nope, that's one of the other species with the same name: mountain

mahogany.
i found the last piece i carved on the Salmon River in Idaho.
rich

res055a5

nope, been searching hard on the internet without success.
i think i'll have to spend some vacation time looking for it myself.
if so, then it will be next summer before i can go over to idaho and look
for it.
a place in oregon sells one form of mountain mahogany, but i don't think it
is
the same species. i've emailed them without success.
rich
"Dave" wrote in message news:v4gkd.14549$V41.8015@attbi_s52...
Have you had any luck finding this wood? I've been watching with
fascination.

George E. Cawthon

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
I'm guessing it's this tree ??? which does not appear
to produce much in the way of wood...

http://www.blueplanetbiomes.org/mountain_mahogany.htm

nope, that's one of the other species with the same name: mountain

mahogany.
i found the last piece i carved on the Salmon River in Idaho.
rich

I can't imagine anyone finding mountain mahogany (the kind that grows
in Idaho) any place except in the field. It is essentially a bush and
certainly no one would cut it for commercial use. Of course it isn't
mahogany and the mountains can just be hills. The scientific names is
Cercocarpus ledifolius.
Richard Clements

"Dave" wrote in message
Have you had any luck finding this wood? I've been watching with
fascination.

hey if you do, drop me a line, I have been trying, with out much success, to
talk from friends into going out and looking for some. I'm just out side of
Boise