mac davis

Default HF Dust collector??

Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..

I have a garage shop with 2 shop vacs and no real dust control other
than an open garage door and a window fan..

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector
from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going
from no system to one of these do me any good?

(their number on it is 45378)

thanks,
mac

Patrick Fitzgerald

Do a google search for previous posts.

There is also a good website discussing this dust collector:
http://tinyurl.com/5scy6
http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...C%20Thread.htm

I picked up one of these yesterday for $139 at the retail store ($159,
price match the website $149, $10 off coupon). I haven't unpacked it
yet so I can't say if it's any good.
--
Patrick Fitzgerald, barelyfitz.com/wood

Greg O

"mac davis" wrote in message
Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..

I have a garage shop with 2 shop vacs and no real dust control other
than an open garage door and a window fan..

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector
from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going
from no system to one of these do me any good?

(their number on it is 45378)

thanks,
mac

I have one, as do many others. for the $159 on sale price it is a good deal.
Many people recommend better bags, but I have been satisfied with the stock
ones.
Check this link out!
http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...C%20Thread.htm
Greg

mac davis

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 16:09:14 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote in message
.. .
Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..

I have a garage shop with 2 shop vacs and no real dust control other
than an open garage door and a window fan..

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector
from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going
from no system to one of these do me any good?

(their number on it is 45378)

thanks,
mac

I have one, as do many others. for the $159 on sale price it is a good deal.
Many people recommend better bags, but I have been satisfied with the stock
ones.
Check this link out!
http://www.cianperez.com/Wood/WoodDo...C%20Thread.htm
Greg

Great link!
thanks, Greg..

Paul in MN

"mac davis" wrote in message
Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..

I have a garage shop with 2 shop vacs and no real dust control other
than an open garage door and a window fan..

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector
from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going
from no system to one of these do me any good?

(their number on it is 45378)

thanks,
mac

I've got one, and think it works great. Having said that it is the first
one I've owned. I am in the process of hooking up some 4" pipe runs to my
equipment. If you do a Google search there is also a modification to these
that makes them work apparently a lot better.

Cheers,

Paul

Morris Dovey

mac davis wrote:

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust
collector from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going
would going from no system to one of these do me any good?

At http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/dust_collection.html you can see
how I've used the HF dust collector (in conjunction with two
cyclone separators) to capture dust from a CNC router - which
produces a /lot/ of dust!

I've been happy with the entire system.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Dan

On Sun 31 Oct 2004 02:19:11p, mac davis wrote in
:

Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..

I have a garage shop with 2 shop vacs and no real dust control other
than an open garage door and a window fan..

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector
from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going
from no system to one of these do me any good?

I bought it last Christmastime for about $140. Sucks pretty good. :-)

Like Greg, I plan to put a better bag on it someday, and set up a chip
separator, but it suits my needs just fine right now. I ductaped a hood
in the bottom of the tablesaw, set it up with a piece of flexible dryer
conduit that sticks out of the saw at a convenient spot, and put a 20'
flexible hose on the DC. It works just great. Easy to hook up, lots of
suction. You can watch it suck the dust from the top of the saw. When I
get the new bag, I might go whole hog and do that two-bag manifold
upgrade.

I didn't do as much woodworking this summer as I wanted. Bathroom
remodel. But I did fill the bottom bag up. Once.

I should note that the shop vac is still the best choice for the band saw
and SCMS. When I drop the hose size to fit those outlets, suction drops
so much that the shop vac's is better. I'm gonna cut a four-inch hole in
the bandsaw one of these days.

Dan
Bob

"Dan" wrote in message

Like Greg, I plan to put a better bag on it someday, and set up a chip
separator, but it suits my needs just fine right now.

Wynn Environmental sells a large cartridge conversion kit (like used by Jet
and Delta) that should turn the Harbor Freight into a much, much better
collector in terms of containing the dust and drastically reducing the
maintenance required.

Its $118 at http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Bob

mac davis wrote in message . ..
Ok.. I've put my flame retardant suit on for this one..

Has anyone ever tried the 2 hp (sounds very low power) dust collector
from Harbor Freight?

I know it's not going to be a GOOD dust system, but going would going
from no system to one of these do me any good?

I've got one and it's a great piece for the money. I put a Grizzly .3
micron bag on top, and a plastic bag on the bottom. I use a 30 gallon
steel trash can and a Grizzly separator lid. I mounted the dust
collector unit on a shelf with the separator can underneath the shelf,
tucked the whole thing in the corner next to the garage door track,
and it works wonderfully. A decent, small footprint, and - so far -
reliable DC system for around $200 total.

As for suction, I have no means of measuring it. Though the first time
I turned it on... it threw a breaker... ok, so the SECOND time I
turned it on, I put my hand in from of the intake to see how the
suction was... Whoomp. Sucked my hand right in. I'm lucky I didn't get
clipped by impeller blades.

Which does bring up a topic: it throws a 15 amp breaker pretty
regulary for me. I had to move it to a 20 amp circuit.
mac davis

On 1 Nov 2004 11:52:03 -0800, )
wrote:

mac davis wrote in message . ..
[...]

Well, I have 40 amp circuits in the shop (the old 220v plug, converted
to 2 110v circuits), so I don't think I'd have that problem...

I'm pleasantly surprised at the many positive responses to this post,
and have added the DC to my HF "wish list"..

Thanks to all that have replied....

Peter De Smidt

Tim Douglass wrote:
If the motor can be
converted to 240 that is the way I would go.

That's a good question. I downloaded the manual, and it doesn't say.
Could someone who has one check it out? If the motor can be re-wired to
240v, I'll get one.

David Hall

mac davis wrote in message . ..
On 1 Nov 2004 11:52:03 -0800, )
wrote:

mac davis wrote in message . ..
[...]

Just to add to the posts, my brother just received his a couple of
days ago and he is quite pleased so far.

Dave Hall

Alan W

I bought on on Friday night last week for the internet price of
$149.99 at the local store. It is quite heavy, ended up sliding it
onto my mechanics creeper to move it around in the box.

Yesterday I ordered the Wynn cartridge conversion after reading Bill
Pentz's site, I figured I would spend $40 getting new bags at least,
and the filter kit with plastic catch bags and the cartridge was about
$103.00. Being in the diesal truck industry, I appreciate how well
those big canisters work.

Wynn indicated I could just blow it out with compressed air from the
outside in, so I expect the cartridge to last me a LONG time.

I've got conflicting information on the size of the HF dust inlets.
Wynn says if I take the Y off I get a single 5" line. I see JET has a
6" and 4" adapter available for their 2hp unit, and I suspect I could
attach that to the harbor freight impeller section.

Also considering moving the motor off the bottom of the cart onto a
small chest of drawers and giving the motor to bags hose a straight
shot. Perhaps reducing it from square to round right at the bags
instead of right out of the impellar housing.

Hope to get rid of ALL the dust in my garage shop. Trying to figure
out how to move the jointer to be closer to the orientation of the
hoses. don't want to have to step over them!

Alan
Peter De Smidt

Alan W wrote:
[...]

Alan,

Thanks for the nice write-up. Which cartridge fitler did you buy?
Please let us know how hard it was to adapt to the dust collector. I'm
thinking of doing exactly what you have in mind.

-Peter

Bob

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...

I've got conflicting information on the size of the HF dust inlets.
Wynn says if I take the Y off I get a single 5" line. I see JET has a
6" and 4" adapter available for their 2hp unit, and I suspect I could
attach that to the harbor freight impeller section.

I suspect HF is overrated and does not have the same capacity as the Jet,
even though they both claim 2hp. One rough comparison is to look at impeller
size. I believe the Jet 2hp uses a 12 inch impeller.

Bob

mac davis

On 2 Nov 2004 18:35:44 -0800, (Alan W)
wrote:

I'll have to wait until I can afford to get one, look at it, then
re-read your post... (I print a lot of this NG out)
I got lost on the cartridge conversion and quit reading somewhere
around taking the Y off and the 4" and 6" inch thing... like trying to
understand someone talking about a car when you've never seen one..

I was noticing tonight that almost an hour after sanding a couple of
boards with the palm sander, I could see dust in the air when my wife
came in the driveway with the lights on... HAS to be bad for me,
breathing in that crap every evening..

[...]

Peter Bogiatzidis

Hello,

Here's another link that has some more info on the subject. I'm trying to
learn about this as well. As far as actually breathing in the dust goes, I
think that I'd be wearing a dust mask.

http://www.cleanshopair.com/

Peter.

"David Hall" wrote in message
m...

. ..
wrote:

I'll have to wait until I can afford to get one, look at it, then
re-read your post... (I print a lot of this NG out)
I got lost on the cartridge conversion and quit reading somewhere
around taking the Y off and the 4" and 6" inch thing... like trying to
understand someone talking about a car when you've never seen one..

I was noticing tonight that almost an hour after sanding a couple of
boards with the palm sander, I could see dust in the air when my wife
came in the driveway with the lights on... HAS to be bad for me,
breathing in that crap every evening..

Unfortunately, the dust collector will do very little to help that (I
have yet to see a palm sander connected to a dust collector). What you
need for the fine floating dust is a dust filtration unit. Lots of old
posts on this and the argument between those who recommend buying a
commercial unit and those who (like me) built theirs from a furnace
blower and some good filters. So now not only are you hearing about a
car without seeing one, we've thrown in motorcycles

Dave Hall

Dan

On Sun 31 Oct 2004 11:52:12p, "Bob" wrote in
k.net:

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

That looks fantastic. Thanks Bob, I heard something about addon filters a
little while ago and was going to ask. Then I forgot. Thanks for bringing
it up. Probably won't be able to get it till tax time but I'm glad that's
out there.

Dan
mac davis

On 3 Nov 2004 08:27:45 -0800, (David Hall) wrote:

mac davis wrote in message . ..
On 2 Nov 2004 18:35:44 -0800,
(Alan W)
wrote:

[...]

I actually understand that one and agree, Dave...
I'll probably copy Ken Vaughn's system, as it seems very efficient and
looks like the construction is within my skill level..

I had forgotten the a dust collector doesn't filter dust unless it's
fed into it... I might need the filter system more than the DC!

Greg O

"Bob" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Alan W" wrote in message
om...

I've got conflicting information on the size of the HF dust inlets.
Wynn says if I take the Y off I get a single 5" line. I see JET has a
6" and 4" adapter available for their 2hp unit, and I suspect I could
attach that to the harbor freight impeller section.

I suspect HF is overrated and does not have the same capacity as the Jet,
even though they both claim 2hp. One rough comparison is to look at

impeller
size. I believe the Jet 2hp uses a 12 inch impeller.

Bob

I would rate the HF unit at 1-1/2 HP, more closely relates to Jets 1-1/2 HP
unit, the DC1100A which Amazon has for $330!
Is the Jet better? Probably! Is it worth over twice the price? I don't
believe so. At least not for the hobby wood dorker. You can get the HF unit
for $159 pretty much any time. Plus the often run coupons for $10 on
puchaces over $100 to get the out the door price to $149. Better bags can be
had cheap enough so it is still a good deal.
Greg

Greg O

"James Cubby Culbertson" wrote in message
While it sounds like this unit will pick up the big stuff, I doubt
it'll get the really fine dust. The stuff that will clog up your
lungs. If you really want to get ALL of the dust as you say, check
out this site for some info:

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Cheers,
cc

Like the fine dust produced from sanding? Which you probably will not be
able to make use of your dust collector while doing?!
If you want to get all the fine dust it takes quite a commitment, connect
all your tools, overarm collector for your tablesaw, downdraft sanding
table, and on and on! Way out of range for most hobbyists!
Greg

mac davis

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 21:20:24 -0600, "Greg O"
wrote:

"James Cubby Culbertson" wrote in message
While it sounds like this unit will pick up the big stuff, I doubt
it'll get the really fine dust. The stuff that will clog up your
lungs. If you really want to get ALL of the dust as you say, check
out this site for some info:

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Cheers,
cc

Like the fine dust produced from sanding? Which you probably will not be
able to make use of your dust collector while doing?!
If you want to get all the fine dust it takes quite a commitment, connect
all your tools, overarm collector for your tablesaw, downdraft sanding
table, and on and on! Way out of range for most hobbyists!
Greg

I'm also building a sanding table that I got from Ken's site... Every
bit of dust I prevent helps...

Tim Douglass

On Thu, 04 Nov 2004 14:28:36 -0500, David Dube
wrote:

Unfortunately it can't... at least that's what I've found from prior
posts... if someone knows a way... :-)

I just added a seperate 20A 110V circuit just for that.

If the motor can't be converted that is probably your best option. One
of my criteria for stationary tools anymore is that they be able to
run on 240, of course most only have switches for 120...

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
A Womack

patriarch wrote in
.77:

(Alan W) wrote in
om:

I took the housing apart tonight and measured the actual diameter of
the impellar to be 10", photo he

http://alan.firebin.net/image/hf_dust_impellar.jpg

404 Error on that link, and iterations of the URL:

missed the s on images when I typed it in:

http://alan.firebin.net/images/hf_dust_impellar.jpg

mac davis

On 5 Nov 2004 22:58:58 -0800, (Alan W)
wrote:

(Alan W) wrote in message . com...

The dust collector is assembled and awaiting the cartridge. I am
going to try 5" line from the single port on the impellar housing
initially.

I took the housing apart tonight and measured the actual diameter of
the impellar to be 10", photo he

http://alan.firebin.net/image/hf_dust_impellar.jpg

Jet is supposed to be 11", but short of measuring one. The cavity in
the housing would certainly take a larger impellar.

Alan

Wow! beefier than I expected at that price... but I've never seen or
priced one before, either...

You're not even going to try it as it comes from HF, so you can see
the improvement with the adapter and cartridge?
A Womack

mac davis wrote in
:

You're not even going to try it as it comes from HF, so you can see
the improvement with the adapter and cartridge?

Nope, those 30 micron bags give me the jeebies. I still have quite a
bit of work to do even after I get the cartridge and assemble it onto
the DC. My local hose supplier was out of 5" DC hose and had none on
order. There was another local source.

Since I have moved my jointer and the tablesaw to be in a T arrangement,
the amount of hose I need is quite a bit less. Going to figure out how
to run some line down to my router insert on the tablesaw without having
it all over the floor, or ugly ugly up on the ceiling.

Alan
mac davis

On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:31:45 GMT, A Womack
wrote:

mac davis wrote in
:

You're not even going to try it as it comes from HF, so you can see
the improvement with the adapter and cartridge?

Nope, those 30 micron bags give me the jeebies. I still have quite a
bit of work to do even after I get the cartridge and assemble it onto
the DC. My local hose supplier was out of 5" DC hose and had none on
order. There was another local source.

Since I have moved my jointer and the tablesaw to be in a T arrangement,
the amount of hose I need is quite a bit less. Going to figure out how
to run some line down to my router insert on the tablesaw without having
it all over the floor, or ugly ugly up on the ceiling.

Alan

ok, now you've got me worried (again)
I started this post and was surprised at how many people in the wreck
use the HF collector...
now, it seems that a lot of folks are saying that it needs a better
bag??
Greg O

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Sun, 07 Nov 2004 15:31:45 GMT, A Womack

ok, now you've got me worried (again)
I started this post and was surprised at how many people in the wreck
use the HF collector...
now, it seems that a lot of folks are saying that it needs a better
bag??

Seems so, but I run mone with the bags it came with.
I use mine to keep the shop clean, collect chips from my TS, planer, and
jointer. I have a air filter to get the "dust".
Greg

patriarch

mac davis wrote in
:

snip
ok, now you've got me worried (again)
I started this post and was surprised at how many people in the wreck
use the HF collector...
now, it seems that a lot of folks are saying that it needs a better
bag??

No, we (they) are saying that 30 microns isn't sufficient on any collector
to get the stuff that worries the experts. It isn't just Harbor Freight.

However, catching the table saw and router table dust down to .3 microns
doesn't do much, if you then run your random orbit sander without some
means of dust collection.

The truly dedicated will get a mask, a ceiling filter, and a cyclone
collector with good filters. Some of the others will move to hand tools,
or working outside. For the truly paranoid, there's usually a game on
television.

Do what you think is reasonable, in connection with your hobby, and the
rest of your life and health habits.

Patriarch