GTANNENB

Default Newbie Compressor Question

I recently purchased a compressor for blowing out my sprinkler but now
want to use it for my woorworking hobby. It is a 6HP 30 gallon Sears
unit. I recently purchased an 18 gauge Harbor Freight Brad Nailer
special for $25.00. The compressor also came with 2 wrenches and a
chisel tool. My question regards oil for these tools. When using
these tools, does the compressor need some sort of an oiler
attachement? The Brad Nailer came with a little bottle of oil but I
am not sure where to oil it. I looked in the instructions but did not
see any instructions. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Glen
Bob

"GTANNENB" wrote in message
om...
I recently purchased a compressor for blowing out my sprinkler but now
want to use it for my woorworking hobby. It is a 6HP 30 gallon Sears
unit. I recently purchased an 18 gauge Harbor Freight Brad Nailer
special for $25.00. The compressor also came with 2 wrenches and a
chisel tool. My question regards oil for these tools. When using
these tools, does the compressor need some sort of an oiler
attachement? The Brad Nailer came with a little bottle of oil but I
am not sure where to oil it. I looked in the instructions but did not
see any instructions. Any help would be great.

For pneumatic wrenches, some kind of in-line oiler is normally used. I
bought one decades ago from Sears and I'm sure they are available any place
pneumatic tools are sold. You won't need your pneumatic wrenches for your
wood working hobby, unless you are being especially brutal. The oiler is
attached via a short piece of hose to the tool. Mine came with a belt clip.
DO NOT PUT IT PERMANENTLY IN YOUR AIR LINE. You don't want oil getting into
your woodworking duties.

The brad gun can be oiled by putting 5 drops of pneumatic oil in the fitting
where the air attaches to the tool. I add oil to my brad gun everytime I am
about to do a round of nailing. If its just a few nails, I don't bother. I
use my brad gun several times a week. You can get oil for the nailer at any
store which sells brad and nail guns. Its frequently packaged under a
nailer brand name such as Senco or Porter Cable.

Bob

RonB

You can oil both the nailers and the wrenches at the tool end of the hose.
However, the wrenchs, and chisels will need to be oiled more often. I
ususally put a few drops in the nailer every time I hook it up and let it go
at that. If the wrenches are getting continuous use, I stop every hour or
so and 5-6 drops.

As far as oilers go, they are fine and save a little time. BUT don't install
one at the compressor end. Keep it at the tool end or you will end up with
an air hose full of oil that will be there forever and all over you wood
projects. Some folks, who plumb air into their shops, put a dedicated
outlet with oiler, filter, regulator just for air tools. This is overkill
if you use the tools occasionally - Just put the oiler at the work end of
the hose with a shorter hose or coil hose to the wrenches.

David

It's sufficient to add a few drops of air tool oil to the air inlet
fitting of the air tool each day that you use the tool. If you use the
tool frequently, then several oilings per day is suggested. Be sure to
use the correct oil to prevent internal rusting. Home Depot carries
AMFLO 1220-1 air tool oil, 16oz size. It should last you many years.

David

GTANNENB wrote:

I recently purchased a compressor for blowing out my sprinkler but now
want to use it for my woorworking hobby. It is a 6HP 30 gallon Sears
unit. I recently purchased an 18 gauge Harbor Freight Brad Nailer
special for $25.00. The compressor also came with 2 wrenches and a
chisel tool. My question regards oil for these tools. When using
these tools, does the compressor need some sort of an oiler
attachement? The Brad Nailer came with a little bottle of oil but I
am not sure where to oil it. I looked in the instructions but did not
see any instructions. Any help would be great.

Thanks.

Glen

Robert Galloway

I think for routine use of the wrenches or hammer, the advice you give
for the nailer will work as well. For all day use, an inline nailer is
a good deal with a power wrench. Changing all four tires on your car???
A little oil in the inlet will keep the outfit happy for as long as
you're likely to need it.

bob g.

Bob wrote:

om...