Greg Millen

Default Dust collection - LS1013 Makita

At the WW show I had a look at the lengths some demonstrators went to with
dust collection and crowd safety. I saw some fully enclosed acrylic booths,
multi-hose designs that looked like the set from Alien, wooden entrapments
and and some light plastic shrouds.

None of them worked very well, some of them could not have worked in
mitre/compound mode.

High velocity shop vacs simply are not good enough, it needs a full 4" hose
IMHO. So, does anyone have a good (simple) design for a Makita LS 1013? I am
keen not to extend the depth of the saw beyond the normal extended length of
a full depth cut.

Anyone? Bueller?

--
Greg

Dick Snyder

"Greg Millen" wrote in message
At the WW show I had a look at the lengths some demonstrators went to with
dust collection and crowd safety. I saw some fully enclosed acrylic

booths,
multi-hose designs that looked like the set from Alien, wooden entrapments
and and some light plastic shrouds.

None of them worked very well, some of them could not have worked in
mitre/compound mode.

High velocity shop vacs simply are not good enough, it needs a full 4"

hose
IMHO. So, does anyone have a good (simple) design for a Makita LS 1013? I

am
keen not to extend the depth of the saw beyond the normal extended length

of
a full depth cut.

Anyone? Bueller?

--
Greg

I saw a design (can't recall where just now) where there was a clamshell or
shroud shaped device at the back of the chop saw. Think of those old phone
booths where you stuck your head into a clamshell to talk. There was a 4"
port at the back of the of the clamshell. I think the idea was that since
the chopsaw throws its waste away from the operator, it would exit towards
the back of the shell and into the 4" port.

Jim Behning

The company that makes the router table stuff has one they showed at
the Atlanta show last month. Rousseauco.com
http://www.downdrafter.com/

"Dick Snyder" wrote:

[...]

Greg Millen

Dick and Jim,

thank you for the ideas and comments. I have seen the Downdrafter and, for
the money, I am wondering if I could attack a large trash can with my jigsaw
to get the same effect. I could pivot the thing by screwing a single screw
through the right place under the saw as it followed the same arc.

One of the things I am not keen on with the Downdrafter is it doesn't come
forward far enough. My saw seems to eject dust forward and to the right of
the saw (as I face it), therefore I think it needs a more comprehensive
shroud.

(Also, I haven't yet seen the Downdrafter advertised in Oz.)

--

Greg

"Dick Snyder" wrote:
I saw a design (can't recall where just now) where there was a clamshell
or
shroud shaped device at the back of the chop saw. Think of those old phone
booths where you stuck your head into a clamshell to talk. There was a 4"
port at the back of the of the clamshell. I think the idea was that since
the chopsaw throws its waste away from the operator, it would exit towards
the back of the shell and into the 4" port.

Greg G.

Jim Behning said:

The company that makes the router table stuff has one they showed at
the Atlanta show last month. Rousseauco.com
http://www.downdrafter.com/

Hmm, interesting idea. I'll steal it immediately!

Greg G.

Greg G.

Greg Millen said:

Dick and Jim,

thank you for the ideas and comments. I have seen the Downdrafter and, for
the money, I am wondering if I could attack a large trash can with my jigsaw
to get the same effect. I could pivot the thing by screwing a single screw
through the right place under the saw as it followed the same arc.

One of the things I am not keen on with the Downdrafter is it doesn't come
forward far enough. My saw seems to eject dust forward and to the right of
the saw (as I face it), therefore I think it needs a more comprehensive
shroud.

(Also, I haven't yet seen the Downdrafter advertised in Oz.)

Dude, your newsreader is stuck in an infinite posting loop... ;-)
Hmmm... Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180 - that explains it!

Greg G.