Dave Balderstone

Default How do you do this?

In article , JMWEBER987
wrote:

Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?

Nope, they're a crosscut of a long glue-up. You're looking at end grain.

That and the profile should give you enough to figure out how it was
done.
patriarch

Dave Balderstone wrote in
tone.ca:

In article , JMWEBER987
wrote:

Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?

Nope, they're a crosscut of a long glue-up. You're looking at end grain.

That and the profile should give you enough to figure out how it was
done.

You may be able to get a good idea on an alternate technique by looking at
how marquetry is done.

Patriarch,
who doesn't do marquetry, but has met some really good artists who do, and
has seen some of their work.
Larry Jaques

On 16 Oct 2004 03:14:20 GMT, (JMWEBER987) calmly
ranted:

The link below is to a picture of earrings and pin on the craft site guild.com.
How is the wood assembled to get the effect shown? I assume its glued up and
sawn multiple times but if anyone can supply specific details about the process
I would appreciate it. Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?
http://www.guild.com/artitem/17801.html
thanks, Mike in Arkansas

Read the techniques/links on these sites, Mike:

www.marquetry.org www.intarsia.com

At www.amazon.com , search for books, "marquetry".

I'll bet the individual pieces of wood are cut,
glued onto paper, sanded smooth, and cut to fit
the jewelry.

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

JMWEBER987

Thanks to all for your replys. I was hoping it would be a simple glue/resaw
process. Don't really wwant to learn a new skill. Quite overwhelmed by the
irons I have in the fire already. sigh
Mike in Arkansas

Nate Perkins

(JMWEBER987) wrote in message ...
The link below is to a picture of earrings and pin on the craft site guild.com.
How is the wood assembled to get the effect shown? I assume its glued up and
sawn multiple times but if anyone can supply specific details about the process
I would appreciate it. Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?
http://www.guild.com/artitem/17801.html
thanks, Mike in Arkansas

Hi Mike,

It's made from a few pieces of veneer, stacked together and cut with a
jeweler's saw or a scrollsaw. Then the pieces are rearranged and
reassembed on a substrate, and it looks like the sawkerfs are filled
with some kind of black filler.

It's similar to marquetry, except in marquetry you tilt the piece
being cut so that the sawkerf isn't seen in the end product. There's
a really good article by Greg Zall in FWW, June 1995.

Marquetry is a pretty easy technique; here's an example of my fifth
attempt at a marquetry inlay:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...yflowerbox.htm

Regards,
Nate
JMWEBER987

It's made from a few pieces of veneer, stacked together and cut with a
jeweler's saw or a scrollsaw.

Thanks Nate and George. Very helpful specifics. Very much appreciated. I have
jewelers saws since I also do silver work from time to time and thought that
the wood effect with the silver made an interesting combination.
Mike in Arkansas