Nate Perkins

(JMWEBER987) wrote in message ...
The link below is to a picture of earrings and pin on the craft site guild.com.
How is the wood assembled to get the effect shown? I assume its glued up and
sawn multiple times but if anyone can supply specific details about the process
I would appreciate it. Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?
http://www.guild.com/artitem/17801.html
thanks, Mike in Arkansas

Hi Mike,

It's made from a few pieces of veneer, stacked together and cut with a
jeweler's saw or a scrollsaw. Then the pieces are rearranged and
reassembed on a substrate, and it looks like the sawkerfs are filled
with some kind of black filler.

It's similar to marquetry, except in marquetry you tilt the piece
being cut so that the sawkerf isn't seen in the end product. There's
a really good article by Greg Zall in FWW, June 1995.

Marquetry is a pretty easy technique; here's an example of my fifth
attempt at a marquetry inlay:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...yflowerbox.htm

Regards,
Nate