DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   How do you do this? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/73397-re-how-do-you-do.html)

Dave Balderstone October 16th 04 04:20 AM

How do you do this?

In article , JMWEBER987
wrote:

Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?

Nope, they're a crosscut of a long glue-up. You're looking at end grain.

That and the profile should give you enough to figure out how it was
done.

patriarch October 16th 04 05:08 AM

Dave Balderstone wrote in
tone.ca:

In article , JMWEBER987
wrote:

Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?

Nope, they're a crosscut of a long glue-up. You're looking at end grain.

That and the profile should give you enough to figure out how it was
done.

You may be able to get a good idea on an alternate technique by looking at
how marquetry is done.

Patriarch,
who doesn't do marquetry, but has met some really good artists who do, and
has seen some of their work.

George October 16th 04 01:00 PM

Got some interesting cloisonné - style made with sawdust for my daughter at
a show I did this year.

I don't see anything but face grain, which makes me think veneer. Puts us
squarely in x-acto country.

"patriarch astDOTnet" patriarch wrote in message
.77...
Dave Balderstone wrote in
tone.ca:

Larry Jaques October 16th 04 04:48 PM

On 16 Oct 2004 03:14:20 GMT, (JMWEBER987) calmly
ranted:

The link below is to a picture of earrings and pin on the craft site guild.com.
How is the wood assembled to get the effect shown? I assume its glued up and
sawn multiple times but if anyone can supply specific details about the process
I would appreciate it. Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?
http://www.guild.com/artitem/17801.html
thanks, Mike in Arkansas

Read the techniques/links on these sites, Mike:

www.marquetry.org www.intarsia.com

At www.amazon.com , search for books, "marquetry".

I'll bet the individual pieces of wood are cut,
glued onto paper, sanded smooth, and cut to fit
the jewelry.

CAUTION: Do not use remaining fingers as pushsticks!
http://www.diversify.com Comprehensive Website Development

JMWEBER987 October 17th 04 03:02 AM

Thanks to all for your replys. I was hoping it would be a simple glue/resaw
process. Don't really wwant to learn a new skill. Quite overwhelmed by the
irons I have in the fire already. sigh
Mike in Arkansas

Nate Perkins October 17th 04 05:31 AM

(JMWEBER987) wrote in message ...
The link below is to a picture of earrings and pin on the craft site guild.com.
How is the wood assembled to get the effect shown? I assume its glued up and
sawn multiple times but if anyone can supply specific details about the process
I would appreciate it. Or do you think each piece is cut and fit together?
http://www.guild.com/artitem/17801.html
thanks, Mike in Arkansas

Hi Mike,

It's made from a few pieces of veneer, stacked together and cut with a
jeweler's saw or a scrollsaw. Then the pieces are rearranged and
reassembed on a substrate, and it looks like the sawkerfs are filled
with some kind of black filler.

It's similar to marquetry, except in marquetry you tilt the piece
being cut so that the sawkerf isn't seen in the end product. There's
a really good article by Greg Zall in FWW, June 1995.

Marquetry is a pretty easy technique; here's an example of my fifth
attempt at a marquetry inlay:
http://home.earthlink.net/~nateperki...yflowerbox.htm

Regards,
Nate

Nate Perkins October 17th 04 02:59 PM

(JMWEBER987) wrote in message ...
Thanks to all for your replys. I was hoping it would be a simple glue/resaw
process. Don't really wwant to learn a new skill. Quite overwhelmed by the
irons I have in the fire already. sigh
Mike in Arkansas

Hi Mike,

You can do this. Just take 3 or 4 sheets of 1/16" veneer, stack them
and secure them along the faces with double stick tape. Then cut the
entire stack more or less randomly with a small saw (a coping saw with
a very fine blade would work).

Separate the sheets, reassemble the pieces from the different sheets,
and glue down the pieces on a small piece of thin MDF, etc. If you
wanted to get fancy, you could fill in the voids with colored epoxy
and then sand it flat.

Nate

George October 17th 04 04:40 PM

Fretsaw. Finer and quick to turn. Sandwich between ply to prevent chipping
out. For one-offs, knife should do, however.

Use a board for support.
http://mikestools.com/Woodworking_Pa...and_boards.asp

om...

JMWEBER987 October 18th 04 12:30 AM

It's made from a few pieces of veneer, stacked together and cut with a
jeweler's saw or a scrollsaw.

Thanks Nate and George. Very helpful specifics. Very much appreciated. I have
jewelers saws since I also do silver work from time to time and thought that
the wood effect with the silver made an interesting combination.
Mike in Arkansas